PDA

View Full Version : z-medica feedback

pbr streetgang
04-24-09, 17:58
has anyone here had experience with z-medica quick clot products? they come in original powder form and in gauze form, but from what i understand when applied the product heats up enough to burn surrounding tissue. any truth to this? and do the positives outweigh the negatives?

here's the link for anyone who is interested

www.z-medica.com

thanks in advance for feedback

Gutshot John
04-24-09, 22:36
Get the gauze form "Combat Gauze".

Yes there is an exothermic reaction but more with the powder.

Yute
04-25-09, 03:13
I was under the impression that Combat Gauze has no heat associated with its use; the homeostatic agent used in CG is Kaolin versus Zeolite which was in the original QC versions, including the ones in tea bag form - zeolite can boil water if added to it, though this doesn't occur as vigriously if added to blood. Later versions of the Zeolite QC (ACS, Sport) were preloaded with water to reduce exothermic heat, and silver was added to some formulations to offset the heat associated with water reacting with Ca+ ions. Kaolin was selected for CG specifically for its lack of exothermic heat release.

While burns have been noted with the use of zeolite QC; if its the choice between burns or stopping uncontrolled hemorrhage, I personally will always go with stopping hemorrhage.

Other choices to look at include celox, celox gauze and hemcon. All will get the job done if you do your part.

It is more important to train on how to use these agents effectively than to worry about which is the most effective.

Gutshot John
04-25-09, 08:41
I was under the impression that Combat Gauze has no heat associated with its use; the homeostatic agent used in CG is Kaolin versus Zeolite which was in the original QC versions, including the ones in tea bag form

You're correct and thanks for clarifying.

DragonDoc
05-25-09, 19:52
New studies from the CZs show that using the powder form of many of these agents poses a threat to the respiratory system if inhaled. The Army Surgeon Gerneral announced recently that all Army MEDCOM components in theater should switch to gauze impregnated type anticoagulant dressings.