PDA

View Full Version : Photography Equipment Sites

Joe_Friday
04-24-09, 22:05
I would like to know if I could get a little help from our esteemed photographers on this site.
My wife started getting into photography last year and I picked her up a nice camera, nicer lens and a few other things. Now she wants to start taking pics inside and I thought that I might pick her up a few other things like lights, backdrops, etc. but I have no idea what site/sites are GTG. The stuff that I purchased last year was from Circuit City and a small local store, but what I would like to get now, the small store does not offer and needless to say about CC. Any ideas where to start looking?

Thanks for the help.

ToddG
04-24-09, 22:30
http://photography-on-the.net/

It's primarily a Canon-oriented forum, but you'll find a ton of helpful, knowledgeable people there including quite a few famous professional photographers. If your wife's camera isn't a Canon, they can still probably help you or at least point you in the right direction.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-24-09, 22:37
I get most of my info from fredmiranda.com, lots of forums for the photographer, but there are gear forums for just looking for info.
Dpreview is the TOS of the photography world, but just like TOS, it has its uses, lots of info and the latest in gear.
www.luminous-landscape.com has a lot of reviews and info too, more arty than fredmiranda, IMHO.
photo.net, haven't been on for awhile, less slick than the others, but helpful.

I buy all my gear online at bhvideo.com, no taxes can have a real impact when you start looking a Full frame bodies and fast glass. If you think local gun stores have dumbasses behind the counter, try a local (they are all chains now it seems) camera store.

Not a pro shooter, but I do pull in some side income from stock photography.

exkc135driver
04-24-09, 23:14
www.kenrockwell.com

also www.nikonians.org

also www.naturescapes.net

jack crab
04-24-09, 23:30
B & H Photo Video has everything under the sun. Check the used department before buying new. Their 8, 9, and 10 rated stuff is nearly new.

For studio lights, take a look at Alien Bees.

Ken Rockwell is a good site. If nothing else, no one will every accuse him of doubting his abilities.

truth
04-24-09, 23:48
B & H Photo Video has everything under the sun. Check the used department before buying new. Their 8, 9, and 10 rated stuff is nearly new.

Ken Rockwell is a good site. If nothing else, no one will every accuse him of doubting his abilities.

Agree 100%

If she's looking for a great learning resource she should check out dgrin.com (http://www.dgrin.com) as they really helped me get the basics down when I bought my first camera in 2006. Now I make my living at it.
(http://www.chadspector.com)

M4tographer
04-24-09, 23:50
Also being a resourceful Jeep guy, I've fit in QUITE well with the Strobist group. Light is light and the finished product is all that we worry about. We don't care how it got there or what we used, we just do it. ;)

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

I'm really enjoying my Strobist portable light kit from Midwest Photo Exchange, too. Everything fits in ONE bag, but I've got more than enough light to get the job done ANYWHERE. All wireless, all battery.

http://www.mpex.com/page.htm?PG=Strobist%20Kits

Joe_Friday
04-25-09, 11:05
Wow, never knew there was that much stuff involved in photography. Right now she is using a digital Canon something ( I know that sounds ignorant, but she takes the pics not me ). Most of the shots she has taken are outdoors and she seems to do pretty well but she wants to try some stuff indoors and I figured I would surprise her. :D Maybe she will take some better pics of my LMT than I did. Anyway, B&H Photo looks awesome and has a ton of stuff and I will probably buy from them and the Canon forum fits the bill pretty well and I am sure we will both learn from it. She is talking about enrolling in a Photography Class at the local college sometime this year also. Any suggestions on what would be good starter stuff for lighting?

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-25-09, 13:50
I started with (2x) a white umbrella, light stand and a Vivitar 285HV. Connect one by PC and the other a non-digital Peanut slave.

Aliens Bees seems to be the bee's knees when it comes to starter strobe sets.

Is Stick going to divulge any of his secrets here?

Mac5.56
04-26-09, 00:01

I second B&H, I've worked with them personally. And I also second the Alien Bees. If your willing to spend money on this, and you want to go with a good supplier that knows their industry, and has a rep, B&H are the people to talk to. Good customer service too. The studio I work out of has made high value returns of products damaged by UPS with no questions asked.

(p.s. for those of you that track my posts, i am an adjunct art professor, an artist, and I work in a digital photography printmaking studio. My line of work isn't 9-5 one tax return with a pension, vacation ext.... ;), I work where I can in my field)