PDA

View Full Version : Pandemic Preparations

warrior9504
04-25-09, 10:56
Does anyone have any plans for something like a flu pandemic? Given the news coming out of Mexico this week that is something I guess I need to put in the old hopper and see what ideas come out.

Obviously the standard stuff like food and water etc. But how would the potential impact of not being able to get into any contact with other people change things?

Mac5.56
04-25-09, 12:44
If you watch the way Mexico is dealing with it (canceling schools/soccer games ext), you can pretty much garner that a pandemic of this sort would be a shelter in place situation. IE minimize all contact by staying home.

sproc
04-25-09, 12:46
Our plan is to store enough provisions so we can stay in the house, off the grid, for a few months. Consult your favorite resource on how to prepare for that.

I doubt an outbreak would happen neatly such that one day you were safe to mingle with society and the next you'd be convinced to quarantine yourself. There will probably be days or weeks of being scared to go out, but society still expecting you to: jobs, schools, traffic court, etc. To help prepare for this, we plan to designate one family member -- probably me -- to be the one to venture outside the home if needed. That person will then live in a separate part of the house that doesn't share ventilation with the rest and has its own provisions. After returning from outside, interaction with the family would be avoided until the incubation period is well past or, in an emergency, using masks, gloves, clothing decontamination, and extreme care to avoid contaminating the "clean" part of the house.

The ability to work from home will be a great asset during the early stages. This is one case where being a software geek is of benefit to me. The hard part for us will be deciding when to pull the kids from school. I'm sure we'll do it sooner than most people would, but I admit I don't want to look like a loon if it's a false alarm.

Speaking of being a loon, I doubt that I will trust any announcements coming from the government during such a crisis. I was considering looking into shortwave or ham radio to provide alternate communication. Is this worthwhile?

Caveat: I have no training in epidemic preparations or any area of health. These are my own ideas -- probably inadequate.

Outlander Systems
04-25-09, 13:18
Everyone above's on the same page I'm on.

Don't get the mail, stay in the house, have plenty of food on hand, and hunker down.

Pandemic flu is the ultimate Bug-In scenario.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my job and my mortgage ain't worth losin' my life over. I'll be taking an "extended vacation" at Le Chateau de Landlord.

Stockpile food, now.

Store what you eat, and eat what you store. You don't have to do Mountain House and MREs; canned goods, in a cool storeroom can keep for a good bit of time.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27223&page=2

Barbara
04-25-09, 19:29
My plan is to stay in. Should be mostly set for that, especially during the summer. I can work from home if need be.

This bug appears to be killing ~7% of people in Mexico (although numbers may be incorrect.) The 1918 outbreak killed 2.5%.

citizensoldier16
04-25-09, 22:38
If you're worried about a flu pandemic in the US there are a couple basic precautions to take:

1) Wash your hands FREQUENTLY! Believe it or not, hand washing with soap and warm water is the single most effective way to avoid becoming sick. Wash for at least 30 seconds.

2) Go to the drug store and purchase a box of face masks, preferably the N-95 particulate type. They are medical grade, and work well against flu, TB, etc. We carry these on all ambulances in my county.

3) Eat well and stay healthy. The body's immune system is a great defense against disease, but it needs a healthy body to keep it operating at an optimum level.

4) Get a flu shot. True, they may not guess the right strain to vaccinate against, but something is better than nothing. Also, stay up-to-date on all your other vaccinations and titers like MMR, Hep-B, etc. Any infectious disease or "travel clinic" will be able to offer a wide range of immunization options. As always, make sure you talk to your doctor first.

*Disclaimer*: None of the above is offered as medical advice under license. I am simply pointing out what I would do in a similar situation.

bigshooter
04-26-09, 11:12
I've got disinfectant spray, hand sanitizer and antibacterial hand/body soap all stocked in with the preps. Also have plenty of latex/non-latex gloves in there also.

Masks of the 95 or 99 type are really nice to have.

Vitamin C and zinc tablets for your immune health. Eating well and keeping hydrated are a must.

I'm a bit of a germaphobe to begin with but I try hard to limit hand contact with my eyes and nose. Especially important when your trying to aviod a potentially deadly virus.

Try to make a routine of wiping down high contact areas with disinfectant. Door handles, light switches, fridge handle, toilet handle, etc...

Oh.......and STAY THE HELL OUT OF HOT TUBS.......

Outlander Systems
04-26-09, 11:38
http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/instruct/colloquium/DiquiLaPenta/BirdFluMask.jpg

bigshooter
04-26-09, 13:10
these guys seem to have the best price for N95 8200 masks at $8.82 is you order more than 6 packs/20 each.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/3m-8200-respirator.html

You can find 3M N95 8000's cheaper but I don't like how the straps connect to the masks.

Beat Trash
04-27-09, 09:52
In 2005, the big topic on many preparedness web sites was Bird Flu (H5N1). Alot of comparisons and references were made to the Spanish Flu of 1918.

A world wide pandemic could make more than one "wave" around the world, with mutations within each wave. If I remember correctly, the 1918 Spanish flu consisted of three waves with about 6 months between each wave?

My plans and preparations at that time, and currently, is to shelter in place if necessary. Until then, limit contact with crowds as much as possible.

As the issue progresses from isolated cases, to regional areas affected, to pandemic, so will my personal response to the crisis. From limiting contact with crowds, to limiting contact with people, to sheltering in place.

Keep in mind, that unlike the world of 1918, with today's era of mass transit, a pandemic could spread very quickly.

Currently, I am watching the issue, and adding some more food to the pile.

The only additional preparations I have made above and beyond normal is to have on hand some N95 masks and rubber gloves, and alot of hand soap.

In the event of a large scale pandemic, you might find that medical facilities are overwhelmed to the point that non critical cases are treated at home. In this case, think of what you want on hand to treat your loved ones at home.

04-27-09, 15:57
Like several said: wash hands, wash hands, wash hands. The prob w/the 1918 outbreak, and maybe this one, is that it hit the HEALTHY people the hardest; go figure. At a 7% mortality rate, there is a 93% chance if you get you'll live. That being said, you could well be very sick for weeks. The main problem will be if a pandemic does occur, as soon as the news starts saying the sky is falling, then everyday behavior of most of the population will change, i.e.- hoarding, staying out of work, etc. This could lead to supply/distribution probs. Better to follow the addage of eat what you stock, stock what you eat and go ahead and stock up. Once the news media declares we have major probs., may be too late to stock up. There have been several studies done that show 2-3X daily recommended amounts of Vitamins D,C, and E can help the body fight off sickness in general. Why not buy a supply of vitamins? Can't hurt and Wally World brand are cheap and just as good. If you drink bottled water,(or not) why not stock up on some generic H20? What I'm trying to say is if you sit down, think, and put pen to paper, you can get a nice little stockpile(for relatively cheap) to ride out the rough times(if they come) and if they don't, use the items in everyday life. I'm not going to go out and spend all my money on a 3 yr. supply. I can spend several hundred and have enough to make it through a rough patch. What about some high protein/carb food bars? Extra canned tuna? Frozen/canned veggies? Buy stuff on sale you would eat anyway. I have a feeling most guys on this forum already have the guns/ammo so I will leave that alone. Keep an eye on the situation and if SHTF, fill up the car(s) and some 5gal. containers. Was in NOLA for Katrina and the gas stations ran low day before she hit. Plenty of time to stock up, even for procrastenaters. The one thing that worries me is even if SHTF, I really can't afford to miss work for an extended period so that would mean if the place is open, I would have to go. Might be a good idea to purchase some face masks. N95 or 99 will do the trick. Latex gloves? At least a nice supply of alcohol based hand sanitizer. For true sanitizing(home, work, church, etc.), still can't beat bleach. HAVE A PLAN! Do I think the S*** is going to hit the fan? Probably not. But if it does, being unprepared could be disasterous. In this situation I say better safe than sorry. Some preparation could make a huge difference in my and my wife's life. I am not willing to take chances with someone else's health/welfare.

Vic303
04-27-09, 16:13
One thing I have not seen discussed much in regards to the 1918 pandemic is the effects of stress on the returning soldiers weakening their immune systems. We all know stress affects our bodies ability to fend off illness, and WWI was certainly 'stressful'! The outbreak got its start in returning soldiers (at Ft Riley IIRC) though there is good evidence that it had several minor outbreaks during trench warfare in prior years. Those returning soldiers were young and generally healthy by the standards of the day, but they had just been through hell over there.

I think it behooves us all to try to reduce stress in our lives, as part of an overall plan to stay healthy and increase our chances of survival in this or other potential pandemics.

Subotai
04-27-09, 21:57
Go to a feed store and buy 50 gallon plastic container with a screw on lid. Buy lots of rice and fill it up. Sore in a cool dry place. Buy more than one for water storage.

Anyone have the formula for how many drops of bleach to how much water to keep it pure?

dhrith
04-27-09, 22:18
"But how would the potential impact of not being able to get into any contact with other people change things?"

Probably lower my blood pressure a few notches.

Vic303
04-27-09, 22:44
Anyone have the formula for how many drops of bleach to how much water to keep it pure?

http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/wqwm/emergwatersuppl.html

How should I treat the water for storage?

Be sure that the water you are treating is drinking-quality water to begin with. To treat water for storage, use liquid household chlorine bleach that contains 5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite. Do not use bleach with soaps or scents added. Add the bleach according to the table below, using a clean, uncontaminated medicine dropper.

4 drops bleach per quart or liter container of water
8 drops bleach per 2-quart, 2-liter, or ½ gallon container of water
16 drops bleach, or 1/4 teaspoon, per gallon or 4-liter container of water

When treating larger quantities of water, use the following table to convert drops to standard measuring units.

8 drops = 1/8 teaspoon
16 drops = 1/4 teaspoon
32 drops = ½ teaspoon
64 drops = 1 teaspoon
192 drops = 1 Tablespoon
384 drops = 1/8 cup which is equal to 2 Tablespoons

Stir the water and allow it to stand for 30 minutes. Chlorine should be detectable by odor after the 30 minute waiting period. If the water does not smell like chlorine at that point, repeat the dose and let it stand another 15 minutes. Place caps on containers and attach labels describing the contents and when each was prepared.

Water stored in metal containers should not be treated, prior to storage, with chlorine since the chlorine compound is corrosive to most metals. Therefore, only very pure water should be stored in metal containers.

RWBlue
04-28-09, 13:40
Since no one else has said it, stop using CASH. If you examine the average dollar bill you will find all kinds of germs on it.

Seth Harness
04-28-09, 13:58
Very true, I was just thinking about the cash thing lastnight. Good point.

Im wondering when a good time is to pull the kids from scool and daycare, before anything happens. It seems that my kids are the ones who bring everything home and spread it throughout the house. I hate to be an alarmist and my wife already thinks Im an obsessive freak, but I think preps are good.

Hayduke
04-28-09, 17:17
Colloidal Silver.

snipped from another site:

Until patentable antibiotics were developed in the late 1930s, silver colloid solution was the microbe fighter of choice. But silver colloid had two very serious drawbacks for the so-called health care industry: it wasn't patentable and it was inexpensive.

The health care business, like any other, depends on money for its existence and profits for its growth - good, solid quarterly profits. And, like all other industries, the more the better. Profits are the name of the game. And the biggest profits in this industry are in developing and making pharmaceuticals...drugs. This has grown into a trillion-dollar industry. One which seems to be in firm control of the AMA and its member doctors, the medical schools, as well as the FDA, and through lobbyists, Congress, as well as all 50 state legislatures.

The medications physicians prescribe are enormously profitable.

Silver colloid solution has no drug company behind it. There are no silver colloid salemen visiting doctors to promote the product. No all-expenses paid trips to vacation spots around the world for conferences. No bags of free samples. Yet it has been shown to be beneficial in the tratment of athlete's foot, boils, warts, ringworm, strep infections, burns, skin cuts and infections, eczema, diarrhea, bladder invlammation, shingles, ulcers, lupus, malaria, colds, chronic fatigue, flu, and so on. Further, microbes are unable to mutate so they can avoid its action, as they can with all other anitbiotics.

You can make this stuff for pennies a gallon. Or you can go to a health food store and pay several dollars per ounce. Your choice.

i remember my grandparents talking about putting a silver dollar in their jars of milk to make them last longer before spoiling. you can over-do it on the silver and cause other health issues obviously like you can with all kinds of meds. i've used this exact home-made method on sore throats and ear infections with great results.....

Outlander Systems
04-29-09, 19:53
Don't go worrying about Captain Tripps just yet...

http://www.smh.com.au/world/only-7-swine-flu-deaths-not-152-says-who-20090429-aml1.html

ETA: +1 to Hayduke's Colloidal Silver.

RWBlue
04-30-09, 02:11
I would be very careful with Colloidal Silver. I prefer not to be blue.

sproc
04-30-09, 10:31
Like this guy (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22536241)?

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Video/080107/tdy_snyderman_blue_080107.300w.jpg

Hayduke
05-01-09, 01:30
I would be very careful with Colloidal Silver. I prefer not to be blue.

you're not supposed to guzzle it like beer, it shouldn't even be used as a daily suppliment. you use it when needed for maximum potency. just like any drugs/meds if you overdo it there can be major issues. hell my father's blood pressure meds plays hell with his kidneys...

05-06-09, 18:02
Anyone that claims colloidal silver can cure anything is nothing more than a snake-oil salesman. There are NO, NOT ONE, study that shows it is effective at treating ANYTHING. Actuall, colloidal sivler can be toxic and the effects are cumulative. So saying you shouldn't guzzle it is insincere. You could take it only every so often and STILL have health problems as a result. It does not leave your body. ITS CUMULATIVE.

The FTC recently made several companies that claimed colloidal silver has any potency against any disease, infection, parasite, etc. stop making these claims. Somebody, some company, somewhere would have mass-marketed anything that was a cure all.

SHOW ME THE PROOF! Just because you say so doesn't get it. There are plenty of honest and caring physicians that would gladly recommend colloidal silver if it worked. IT DOESN'T! There are plenty of studies that show it doesn't work. Case closed. If anyone has certifiable proof; and not the lame excuse, " The drug companies don't want you to know about it," let's see it. Certifiable as in a reputable University study or gov. study. Most people are simply too lazy too make their own even if it was effective. The drug companies would still make loads of cash. Therefore, simple logic will tell you it is a CROCK! If you don't like my arguement, prove me wrong with reliable studies and proof. Oh, I forgot. There isn't any.

Outlander Systems
05-06-09, 18:40
Anyone that claims colloidal silver can cure anything is nothing more than a snake-oil salesman. There are NO, NOT ONE, study that shows it is effective at treating ANYTHING. Actuall, colloidal sivler can be toxic and the effects are cumulative. So saying you shouldn't guzzle it is insincere. You could take it only every so often and STILL have health problems as a result. It does not leave your body. ITS CUMULATIVE.

The FTC recently made several companies that claimed colloidal silver has any potency against any disease, infection, parasite, etc. stop making these claims. Somebody, some company, somewhere would have mass-marketed anything that was a cure all.

SHOW ME THE PROOF! Just because you say so doesn't get it. There are plenty of honest and caring physicians that would gladly recommend colloidal silver if it worked. IT DOESN'T! There are plenty of studies that show it doesn't work. Case closed. If anyone has certifiable proof; and not the lame excuse, " The drug companies don't want you to know about it," let's see it. Certifiable as in a reputable University study or gov. study. Most people are simply too lazy too make their own even if it was effective. The drug companies would still make loads of cash. Therefore, simple logic will tell you it is a CROCK! If you don't like my arguement, prove me wrong with reliable studies and proof. Oh, I forgot. There isn't any.

Years ago, I read a book entitled: "God: The Evidence".

The premise of the book was to prove that through observed statistical values and application of the "scientific method", that the existence of "God" could be proven with the same, or even greater accuracy than the success rate of pharmaceutical or psychological studies.

All I learned through this book is that modern "science", and our collective notions thereof, especially in regards to drug testing is the crock, bro.

Secondly, in all my years of living on this floating orb of insanity, I've learned that 90% of all statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.

Thirdly, I've also learned that the answer to almost every "Why" is "money".

Dude, frankly, I don't have to prove to you that the only thing the medical/pharmaceutical industry give two shits about is money. Oh, and avoiding lawsuits, which leads back to money, so it's more of a peripheral motivator.

Most of the "honest and caring" physicians, you so espouse, are unwitting puppets/pawns of the drug companies.

He who pays the piper, picks the tune, and brother, when it comes to the doctors, ultimately, *we* ain't payin' up.

And then, there's always shit like this (P.S. It was recent, and I didn't have to try hard to find it): http://blog.bioethics.net/2009/05/merck-makes-phony-peerreview-journal/

05-06-09, 19:44
So, you read one book that has no scientific validity and you use that as your reference.

Next, you say all science and the scientific method is a crock; to say it is all a crock makes you a crackpot that; unsucessfully tries to throw out science because you say so. Sad.

Next, 90% of all statistics..... So, once again you are saying the only proof that is acceptable is what you deem acceptable.

Next, why...money. So by your own premise, you're wrong. If all the pharmaceutical cos. care about is money(which is your premise) wouldn't they market it if it even worked 1/10th as well as claimed?

Next. I don't have to prove anything.... Thanks for making my point for me.

Next, honest physicians..... Guess what Einstein, many physicians DO NOT allow drug reps. in their offices! It has become an ethical thing for many of them. So I guess they are not unwitting pawns in these cases. So, if they are not unwitting pawns and they still reject colloidal silver......

Next, just who and how do you think pays physicians? It sure isn't the drug companies. It's the insurance companies and they fight the drug companies tooth and nail over money. It is much better for them to pay for a succesful treatment than a non-successful one that will have a patient coming back and the ins. company paying more. In other words, if colloidal silver worked, the ins. cos. would be all over it because it would increase their profits.

Next, once again your "source" of info is flimsy. You are reduced to citing a blog? Earlier in your post you said doctors are unwitting pawns and puppets, but yet, here you are citing one.

You use selective citing and non-reputable sources. Your logic is flawed and your conclusions suspect.

Once again, put up or...you know the rest. You cannot prove your claims and they are potentially toxic to the human body. You should be ashamed.

You actually try to say science and the scientific method are folly! What a joke. Thanks to the scientific method and science in general you can spread your misinformation for an average of 10-12 years longer than 50 years ago. Sad, sad, sad.

Outlander Systems
05-06-09, 20:05
So I'm assuming you missed the point that Merck published a completely phony "Peer-Review" to promote one of its products?

I never said the tome I browsed had any scientific validity whatsoever. What I did state was that said tome illustrated some of the shakier foundations of certain so-called "sciences"; nor did I state that the scientific method had no validity. I couldn't perform my job without math or science. The problem with psychology and medical research, ESPECIALLY drug research is that it is almost entire based upon the foundations of statistical analysis, which is an inherently flawed approach.

I'm not crapping on the entire health industry. Plenty of lives are saved by surgeons, doctors, EMS, etc. Drug companies? Different story altogether.

On the money issue? Deductive reasoning, broski. The licensed drug dealers, I mean, pharmaceutical companies, don't want you being able to obtain alternate treatment/cures. It cuts into their profits, ya know, just a little bit.

If you don't want to accept that there is collusion between the pharmaceutical companies and doctors, in terms of peddling drugs and money, that's your prerogative, bro.

http://www.the-scientist.com/templates/trackable/display/blog.jsp?type=blog&o_url=blog/display/55671&id=55671

On top of all the back-patting, under-the-table-dealing, bogus journal writing, biased textbook publishing shenanigans, half of the so-called "medicines" include side-effects that are worse than what they supposedly treat. It's akin to sending DEVGRU in to save a hostage taken by four terrorists, only killing two terrorists, severely injuring the hostage, and mowing down five bystanders.

The "10-12" year lifespan increase you alluded to owes more to plumbers and the garbage man than doctors. It ain't modern medicine that's tacked on the years; it's hygienic waste disposal.

"In other words, if colloidal silver worked, the ins. cos. would be all over it because it would increase their profits."

Wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn?

05-06-09, 20:42
Too bad, so sad. Bro, I have read your postings on other topics and learned from them. But, on this one ...

So you're using one so-called fake peer review as your evidence to disprove all medicine, all scientific research. Once again, your evidence is based on a BLOG from a doctor; didn't you say doctors, basically, couldn't be trusted?(I'm paraphrasing). Point is the same.

"Wanna' buy a bridge?" Bro-I'm making a point on the basis of your logic earlier! So what this means is, you are saying to yourself that you are full of s***!

Alternative medicine? Once again, in most(not all, but majority)cases the basis is non-factual and only used because of tradition. Guess what? I'm actually VERY familiar with non-traditional meds. Willow bark as a cure for this and that...it has salicylic acid in it-aspirin. Don't traditional meds. people also "prescribe" tiger penis for impotence?

I, and the vast majority of people, will take traditional meds. whenever possible.

You have lost this battle and it is plain for all to see. Your logic is flawed and your reasoning; non-reasonable. You couldn't even answer my retorts to your posits. Your logic is non-existent.

You say science and the scientific method is basically b.s. I guess you also saw some green men last night.

You should really remove the aluminum foil from in front of your eyes.

05-06-09, 20:50
I've had an idea. Are you anywhere near North Carolina? If so, let's go hike one weekend and discuss this like gentlemen. I apologize for my comments that were as***** in nature. In todays world, with all the people full of s***, it's pretty hard to find people that are ok. I know you are, we just have a difference of opinion on a subject we both feel strongly about. Just because we disagree on one subject doesn't mean we can't get along. I bet we have a lot more in common that not. That's what is important, not what we don't agree on. Hell, I bet we are much more similar than different

I grew up in the country, went to a small school, and, yes, my favorite music is country.(George Strait is the MAN). Love my Jeep, love my wife, love my country. Just say the word and we'll hit the mountains for a fun weekend.

Outlander Systems
05-06-09, 21:06
Quite sporting and gentlemanly of you, good sir.

To sum it up: I'm not arguing that colloidial silver is a be-all end-all cure, nor am I purporting to insinuate that science and medicine are flawed; nor am I arguing that alternative medicine is the answer to all ills. Eye of newt, and batwing stew ain't gonna un-clog an artery.

My perspective is quite simply a general and pervasive mistrust for the big pharma companies. I also believe Doctors have a propensity for overprescribing drugs.

My "scripts" typically start and end with Apsirin.

Currently I have a raging wart on my finger. I don't believe any amount of Duct Tape is going to get it off, either. I've tried cutting it off, only for it to come back worse. Where am I going? To a dermatologist.

I'm always up for a backpacking adventure. The only backpacking buddy I can truly count on is my pooch. I must agree with you, America is the coolest land on the planet, and I'm a member of a country club. Country music is what I love.

;)

05-06-09, 21:22
Just tell me you don't think Bon Jovi is true country music and all is well. Saying the only buddy you can count on as a backpacking budd is your dog, well it sounds familiar. I can count the people I truly trust on one hand.

Anytime you're up for a hike in the NC mountains, north GA, upstate SC, general area, let me know.

As for that wart, an old Chinese gentleman told me one time to pee on it.

Rider
05-06-09, 21:42
I'm not trying to horn in on ya'll but I am a NC fella too and a backpacking trip with fellow gun enthusiast's who have something interesting to say appeals to me also. My usual hiking buddies are not very AR friendly and my 2 toddlers are not great hikers yet.

Maybe we can bring the M4's and hit one of the national forests south of Blowing Rock. God's Country. I went to ASU in Boone and know that area pretty well. If you guys ever get to together for a weekender, let me know.

RESQDOC
06-17-09, 09:19
'Pandemic' does not mean what most people think it means. It does not mean 'this is a dinosaur killer event.' It means:

- emergence of a disease new to a given population, e.g. syphilis in a convent :eek:
- agents infect humans, causing serious illness, e.g. whooping cough
- agents spread easily and sustainably among humans, e.g. impetigo

Cancer is not pandemic because it is not infectious. HIV is not pandemic because it is not easily spread save by spreading your legs. Whooping cough is not because it is not breaking out in new populations, only in those where it was previously present but have had a drop in vaccination rates. Impetigo is not a pandemic because it is not serious.

Mexican Flu has been declared a pandemic because it meets the above criteria, and triggers accelerated production of vaccines. BFD. It's no more dangerous than 'regular' flu, although middle age adults catch it a bit easier than the usual stuff.

Gutshot John
06-17-09, 10:57
'Pandemic' does not mean what most people think it means. It does not mean 'this is a dinosaur killer event.' It means:

- emergence of a disease new to a given population, e.g. syphilis in a convent :eek:
- agents infect humans, causing serious illness, e.g. whooping cough
- agents spread easily and sustainably among humans, e.g. impetigo

Cancer is not pandemic because it is not infectious. HIV is not pandemic because it is not easily spread save by spreading your legs. Whooping cough is not because it is not breaking out in new populations, only in those where it was previously present but have had a drop in vaccination rates. Impetigo is not a pandemic because it is not serious.

Mexican Flu has been declared a pandemic because it meets the above criteria, and triggers accelerated production of vaccines. BFD. It's no more dangerous than 'regular' flu, although middle age adults catch it a bit easier than the usual stuff.

Now there you go... using common sense and basic facts to make a point.

How DARE you sir? :p

PS. If you're worried about global pandemics, move to northern latitudes. Deaths from disease were far less in the New England Colonies than the Southern Colonies...of course you might freeze to death. :D

warrior9504
06-23-09, 06:27

Boy, RESQDOC will never get a job in the MSM, with all that logic, calm deliberate conveyance of information backed up by intelligence. Where's the fun in that?

Try this:

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE, IT'S THE WORST THING EVER THERE'S NO HOPE FOR ANYONE....THIS IS THE BIG ONE ELIZABETH!!! Tune in at 8 for the full details.

HA!

06-24-09, 19:06
Definition of flu pandemic from Dr. Keiji Fukuda of WHO, Asst. Director for Health Security: A pandemic is a global outbreak, seeing both the spread of the agent, and disease activities, to most parts of the world. who.int/mediacentre/influenza

Bantam medical dictionary-an epidemic so wide spread that vast numbers of people in different countries are affected.

RESQDOC- When the thread was started the flu "outbreak" had just begun. The mortality rates were unknown. The general public, like M4, were simply trying to think about precautions that could be taken. Your post date of 6-17 was almost 2 months after the original postings. Conclusions, speculation, preparations, at that time are obviously going to be different than conclusions drawn today. Hindsight....

Thanks to my wife the OB/GYN surgeon for the definitions.