PDA

View Full Version : Elevated blood lead levels

GaryG
04-25-09, 13:32
All,

Just thought I'd pass a 'heads-up' to everyone about exposure to lead.

I just had a general physical last week. I told the MD that I shot regularly at an indoor range, and was concerned about elevated levels of lead in my system. So, she 'ordered' the appropriate blood test from the lab. (side note: tests for lead aren't part of the regular blood work up when you get a routine physical - - they have to specifically look for it).

Anyway the acceptable lead level is 0–9 micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL) or less than 0.48 micromoles per liter (mcmol/L). And sure enough, I popped a "17" on the test. Apparently, I'm not on my deathbed, but the medical folks are going to monitor my blood closely for awhile. (BTW, I'm not exposed to any lead in my job or other non-shooting activities).

I shoot at an indoor range weekly for 1 to 1 1/2 hours each time. My ammo is ~90% jacketed, and ~10% lead (.22 Remington subsonic, mostly). Ventilation at the range "seems" adequate. I'll admit that I haven't washed up after every range session, or after loading mags, or handling lead solvent chemicals after cleaning sessions, etc., but I sure will from now on.

So, bottom line: the possibility of lead absorbtion in the blood is real. Take it seriously. I'm not going to wear a face mask yet, but you can be sure I'll be more diligent about washing up after shooting, handling ammo, cleaning the guns, etc.

If you are an active indoor shooter, I'd highly recommend you get a lead blood level check, too, just to see where you stand.

sff70
04-25-09, 15:15
A few things to consider:

FMJ ammo has an exposed lead base, so you're still getting lead exposure by firing FMJ.

TMJ has no exposed lead, although there is still lead in the primers.

I have dedicated shoes for wearing at the indoor range that I frequent. They reside in a plastic bag except when I don/remove the at the range, as does my shooting cap.

Anytime I shoot, my clothes go straight into the washing machine when I get home, separate from other laundry, and I take a lukewarm shower.

It's really imporant to clean your hands and face well when you are done shooting. The range has D-lead soap, and at home I use abrasive soap.

My blood lead level a few yrs ago was 18. After getting more serious about lead abatement, it's gone down to 4 when last it was checked.

Despite that, it goes into your bones and has a half-life, so bascially any lead that gets into your bones is with you the rest of your life.

The blood lead level isn't a true indicator of your bone lead level.

Revolvers are the worst weapon to fire for lead exposure due to the forcing cone.

Ttwwaack
04-25-09, 15:45
I'm occassionally a lead worker by trade in the coating industry. I've been surprised a few times during quarterly tests but average right around 7. I've been on some bad jobs and probably been above the 50 limit twice prior to the conclusion of abatement work. Depending on state laws, generally above 40 and they start a closer testing, re-eval workplace proceedures and controls.

The two quickests ways to raise your blood lead breathing in vapor/dust and ingestion i.e. shooting at indoor facilities and smoking/chew/eating prior to washing. Another activity is casting bullets/sinkers (especially indoors). I've actually seen a new hire at a job pop a 70+ during an employment physical a day after being hired as a result of casting jigs for the local bait n beer store.

sff70 seems to be taking some pretty good precautions that have resulted in a significant reduction of his BLL. The only precaution in addition I could recommend without getting too restrictive (I.E. respirator with HEPA cartridges) would be a set of coveralls to don prior to entering the range and remove after he leaves the facility prior to getting into his vehicle and contaminating the driver's seat/vehicle.

Matt P
04-25-09, 19:30
Want to shoot at home, and get as close as you can to real shooting without any type of exposure to lead, much less exposure to costly handgun ammunition?

Gas Blow Backs.... Yeah, Airsoft..
Dont dismiss this unless you have tried it.

You would be amazed at how in-expensive this is, and how incredible the realism is.
I can in my shop go load up 5-6 Magazines, get my shot timer strapped to my arm, and practice away.
About the only thing I have to be careful on is magazine changes. You shouldnt just drop gas mags out on to the floor.

Using Airsoft in training and for practice has really gathered some legs as of late.

Let me know if you want more information on what types to buy, where to, and some of the lessor known ways of effectively using it.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, just though a perfect thread to talk about how to get away from lead exposure for at least a little time during practice.

JohnD
04-25-09, 20:06
GaryG,

Not sure where in N-VA you are shooting but have you checked out Beaumeade Gun Club in Ashburn? It is the latest and greatest indoor range in that area. The ventilation system is brand new and top notch plus they use the water system over the back stop to reduce lead in the air. Stop in and check them out, they are right off the Loudoun County Parkway near redskins park.

John

rat31465
04-25-09, 21:24
I spent more than two years working as an Assistant Range Master at an indoor range and a part of the job required me to have lead level tests ran monthly.
I was told by my physician that there was more chance of lead entering my system via hand to mouth contact than from respiration. Always observe good hand washing discipline...and there shouldn't be a problem.

Solomon
04-25-09, 22:06
I recommend anyone concerned about heavy metals (lead, mercury, etc.) poisoning look into chelation. Google it. It really works and has some cardiovascular benefits as well.

jdp710
04-26-09, 02:05
I'm currently taking modified citrus pectin with modified alginates to remove lead and mercury from my body. It costs $40 per month x minimum 3 months. It does work. MCP/MA also has other benefits as well. http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Heavy-Metal-Detox-ToxGuard-90-Veggie-Caps/7774?at=0

Another method cheaper/method is humifulvate. http://www.iherb.com/Enzymatic-Therapy-Complete-Metal-Cleanse-Humifulvate-30-Ultracaps/4926?at=0

There is also Andrew Culter's program which is one of the best chelation methods but takes more dedication. Here is the links/forums dedicated toward his program http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/frequent-dose-chelation/

I've done a lot of research regarding this and I'd say these three are the better, easier and safer ways of chelating heavy metals such as lead.

If you have extreme levels and are debilitated then this is an even better route http://www.detoxamin.com/

It's extremely expensive and I know two people that are currently on it but at least you don't have to visit a hospital.

GaryG
04-26-09, 04:08
GaryG,

Not sure where in N-VA you are shooting but have you checked out Beaumeade Gun Club in Ashburn? It is the latest and greatest indoor range in that area. The ventilation system is brand new and top notch plus they use the water system over the back stop to reduce lead in the air. Stop in and check them out, they are right off the Loudoun County Parkway near redskins park.

John

Beaumeade, a.k.a. Silver Eagle Group?
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27043&highlight=silver+eagle+group

Uh . . . no thanks.

mourneblade
04-26-09, 07:46
All,

Just thought I'd pass a 'heads-up' to everyone about exposure to lead.

Do you do your shooting at Blue Ridge? I've heard their ventilation isn't great.

WillBrink
04-26-09, 08:43
Great info here gents. Getting my blood levels tested is on my list of things to do also. This thread re focused me on that one. Thanx again. ;)

Iraq Ninja
04-26-09, 08:51
I have been told that bullet lead in your body is not a risk, unless it gets into your CNS fluid. That is why it they often leave small bits of shrapnel in you. It does more damage to take the stuff out than just to leave it in...

30 cal slut
04-26-09, 09:12
i started getting tested as part of my annual physical since i started ratcheting up the indoor range time.

i'm very careful about now about balancing indoor and outdoor range time.

i'm also very careful about hand washing. in my carbine sled (my truck lol) i always have a container of gojo hand cream and orange pumice hand cleaner. the hand cream gets rid of greasy residues where let particles can hang out.

another interesting thing. i was at a class last weekend where the instructor was demonstrating a drill, and i could see that he inhaled a lungful of carbine combustion, by seeing what he exhaled during the drill. it was almost as if he was smoking a cigarette.

guess we have to watch it.

GaryG
04-26-09, 11:29
Do you do your shooting at Blue Ridge? I've heard their ventilation isn't great.

No, I won't patronize BRA for the same reasons I won't go to Silver Eagle Group.

PM sent.

signal4l
04-26-09, 16:59
Not all lead exposure is the result of shooting.

If you handload you need to be careful when you remove your brass from the tumbler and when you remove the tumbling media from your brass . This can create a nasty cloud of lead dust. Use something like the the RCBS sifter with the enclosed top. You may also want to put a "Bounce" dryer sheet in your tumbler along with your brass. This collects the priming compound/lead.

If you shoot indoors wear a particle mask. Wash your clothes seperately and use a wet towel to wipe your shoes before you get into your car.

Heavy Metal
04-26-09, 17:41
My agency is providing me a physical thursday.

I will be tested for heavy metals.............But considering just WHO I am, I think I can handle it:D

JohnD
04-26-09, 20:28
To all,

sorry for endorsing SEG/Beaumeade Gun Club. I was not aware of their political affiliations. I did a search here and got caught up on the situation. I have known Mr. Marquez and Dave Westrate for sometime now and even ran a USG program for them back in 03-04, never would have guessed it. My apologies.

I will be throwing my money at VA Arms or Loudoun Guns for sure.