PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever shoot an FN FNP? Thoughts? Opinions?

variablebinary
04-25-09, 21:31
Anyone ever shoot or have an opinion on the FN FNP-9/40

Durable? Reliable? Accurate?

Crash
04-25-09, 23:56
I put about 100 rounds through one about a month ago. I liked how the pistol felt in my hand, but I kept hitting the decocker and going back to double action, which drove me nuts. I've been trying to locate a 9mm to be my primary pistol, and I'm still looking. Its been long enough since I shot it that I can't really give you very good insight, I remember thinking that it was good, but not great, and the decocker location was enough for me to cross it off my list. I was comparing it to a 92FS, and for some reason, I could hit whatever I was aiming at (slow fire) with my 92, but had difficulty with FNP. I should add, I'm not a very accomplished marksmen with a pistol.

I'm currently trying to find someone who owns an M&P9 or HK P30. The new P30S is tops on my list, but I've heard so many good things about the M&P that I won't purchase the HK until I can fire the S&W. Hope that is of some help to you.

spamsammich
04-26-09, 00:59
I have a FNP-9 with about 200 rounds down the pipe. It isn't my main 9, I shoot my Steyr M9-a1 more often and a little better. The HUGE advantage it has over my Steyr is that it will eat everything I've thrown at it so far. The Steyr was picky with GA Canned Heat ammo until I installed an upgraded extractor, since then it has been smooth sailing.

The FNP is soft shooting and I have no problems with hitting the decocker so far. The trigger throw is a little long in SA for my taste but it is light and smooth with no stacking or binding. DA trigger pull is way lighter than my USP 40, I like this even though I never shoot DA. I want to shoot it more often but unfortunately I am just about out of ammo. I really like how the gun fits my had with the flatter backstrap. I'm able to shoot well (for me) with it up to 25 yards. The only regret I have is not waiting to buy the USG version.

variablebinary
04-26-09, 02:41
I put about 100 rounds through one about a month ago. I liked how the pistol felt in my hand, but I kept hitting the decocker and going back to double action, which drove me nuts. I've been trying to locate a 9mm to be my primary pistol, and I'm still looking. Its been long enough since I shot it that I can't really give you very good insight, I remember thinking that it was good, but not great, and the decocker location was enough for me to cross it off my list. I was comparing it to a 92FS, and for some reason, I could hit whatever I was aiming at (slow fire) with my 92, but had difficulty with FNP. I should add, I'm not a very accomplished marksmen with a pistol.

I'm currently trying to find someone who owns an M&P9 or HK P30. The new P30S is tops on my list, but I've heard so many good things about the M&P that I won't purchase the HK until I can fire the S&W. Hope that is of some help to you.

I was wondering how easy it was to trip the decocker. It seemed very light and easy to press under recoil

spamsammich
04-26-09, 04:08
my thumb never rides high enough to trip the decocker and the 9 shoot so soft that in my opinion, it really shouldn't at all if you have good technique. It may be possible with the .40 cal but I put a box of WWB downrange with one and it never happened to me.

Mr.Goodtimes
04-26-09, 08:16
i almost bought an FNP9, when i went into the gun shop i was actually all set on walking out of the store with one. When i held one though, i thought it felt sort of cheesy and flimsy. I know they are great pistols but, to me it just didnt seem as solid as an M&P or glock... i actually ended up walkin out with a beretta 92 instead.

jeffreywt
04-26-09, 12:53
I agree with Goodtimes. When I picked one up, the frame felt kind of weak.

spamsammich
04-26-09, 15:00
The FNP-45 feels REALLY flimsy compared to the 9. It felt like I could crush the grip if there was no magazine in it. The 9 is more substantial but nowhere near as solid as a 92. I bought a 92fs for my dad and it is built like a tank. A little too big for my tiny mitts so I don't own one myself. I do like the M&P 9, I'll own one of those some day.

jwinch2
04-26-09, 15:10
I hang out on the FNH forums a fair amount as I have a SLP shotgun that I love. From reading many, many posts by FNP owners, I know the FNP series had some significant problems with frame cracking a few years back. I am told that has been taken care of but I am still a little skittish of them. Furthermore, a couple of friends of mine have FNP-9's and while I have had no real problems with them, they feel a little too toy-like in my hand for my taste compared to other polymer pistols.

FNH is sort of hit and miss in my view. M240, great weapon. M249, complete piece of crap. Their SLP shotguns are great, but their pumps weren't all that fantastic in my view. Of course, the SLP is based off of the Browning gold and Winchester super x2 so that might be why...

Take home message, I guess I would list the FNP as questionable with regards to durability though I have heard good things about their reliability and have enjoyed shooting then when I have had the chance.

razors
04-27-09, 18:12
Ive owned an FNP9-M...the "compact" version...it was generally a nice pistol. I placed 2502 rounds of whatever I had through it with no FTF or any other issues pertaining to ammo reliability....accuracy was OK. Good holsters for FNP9-M's were a problem for me to find at the time. I had the sear crack at the 2502'nd round and went ahead and sent it back to FN well...actually browning does all the warranty work for these pistols...so if something happens send it to browning:rolleyes:. They had the gun for about 7 weeks...sold it soon after.

04-27-09, 19:41
[QUOTE=spamsammich;357053]I have a FNP-9 with about 200 rounds down the pipe. It isn't my main 9, I shoot my Steyr M9-a1 more often and a little better.

I thought I was the only one that liked Steyr? M40-good gun.

dkc4u
04-27-09, 21:54
I picked my FNP-40 up about seven months ago at Bass Pro it came with three magazines and a FN Shooter Pack that is basically a holster,double magazine carrier and training barrel. I've put about 500 rounds through it without any problems. The recoil feels very light even when running corbon loads through it. I found it to be a very accurate firearm and it only cost me $435. Bass Pro usually runs a sale on them every two months. 2359

AMMOTECH
04-28-09, 16:32
Ive owned an FNP9-M...the "compact" version...it was generally a nice pistol. I placed 2502 rounds of whatever I had through it with no FTF or any other issues pertaining to ammo reliability....accuracy was OK. Good holsters for FNP9-M's were a problem for me to find at the time. I had the sear crack at the 2502'nd round and went ahead and sent it back to FN well...actually browning does all the warranty work for these pistols...so if something happens send it to browning:rolleyes:. They had the gun for about 7 weeks...sold it soon after.

FN owns Browning. We build pistols and parts for them and the do work and build parts for us. Just part of the way it is.

My -9M:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/STA75853.jpg

razors
04-28-09, 16:57
FN owns Browning. We build pistols and parts for them and the do work and build parts for us. Just part of the way it is.

My -9M:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/STA75853.jpg

The first person I talked to at FN told me to send it in....but didnt state to send it to browning.....just didnt want to go into that in the post;).

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-28-09, 17:19
I shot a .45 cal Fn and it seemed like a fine gun. It was accurate and was easy to shoot well.

williejc
04-28-09, 23:34
I owned an FNP-9 AND -40. The 40 had a defective take down lever, which was replaced along with some other frame parts. Both guns had the older sear module that was prone to cracking, although they did not break on me. Both sets of mags developed problems with locking the slide back on the last shot, but they did not cause jams. If fully loaded, the mags were difficult to seat positively without using a lot of force. Both shot well. I liked them but sold them to buy Glock 19's during these uncertain times.

I have and use the FNP-45 which lacks the above problems. It wears a fancy Streamlight lamp and is my bedside companion. Function is flawless.

FN has great customer service.

maximus83
05-01-09, 22:54
FN must be doing something right. I read recently (I think it was in the Am. Handgunner) that they manufacture something like 70% of the small arms for all US forces (including those mentioned above, plus, the M16, and now the SCAR series.

I've test-fired the FNP 45 and thought it was well built, and had an incredibly smooth and consistent trigger for a factory plastic gun. Haven't tried the smaller calibers, but if they're anything like the .45, they will be GTG! Have also seen some good reviews of the small caliber FN's, as in this one (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/taking_a_look_at_the_fnp9_pistol.htm) on the 9mm.

apache64
05-03-09, 17:36
My buddy bought an FNP-9 as his first handgun. He got the Pistol Pack. In all it seems like a good value. His only issues were when he rested his thumb on the controls while shooting. In a short time, he was shooting golf ball to baseball size groups at ten yards. He has 500 rounds through it with no issues. Only issue now is we can't find him 9mm ammo.

I shot it. I was comfortable and accurate. No malfunctions.

forgiven
05-03-09, 18:32
I shot a .45 cal Fn and it seemed like a fine gun. It was accurate and was easy to shoot well.

I felt the same way + the gun I shot fired everything we fed it FMJ + JHP.

St.Michael
11-10-11, 12:23
BUMP for updates. Held an FNP45 the other day. Really cool gun, trigger felt amazing. Very low cost.

lwilcox28
11-11-11, 11:17
I own a FNP 45 tac in fde and love it, 15 rd mags in 45 is just cool. Very accurate and have had no issues. I wear 2x gloves so the large grip works fine for me, I can see where someone with smaller hands could have an issue.

ewenit
11-11-11, 13:51
I owned an FNP-9 for a while. I thought it was a decent gun for the price, it felt great and I shot rather well with it.
Unfortunately it hated 115gr practice ammo with a fiery passion (lots of FTF's).
I ended up selling it to a friend (informing him of the issues I had) and after about 100 more rounds through it the issues cleared up ( I'm assuming the recoil spring was a little stiff and needed some break in) and he loves it to death. My loss his gain.

Either way it's a decent gun for the price. Mine (or rather my friends) just required some break in.

RetiredCO
11-14-11, 02:22
Have the FNP 45 usg no bull it is lights out at 25 yards in fact as good as many semi custom 1911's.
I have done sub 2" groups hand held at 25 yards with good ammo.
This is not my best but decent group I did a few weeks ago.
The square is 3"x3" 11 rounds
the head black is 1"
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/cjstinks/100_2731.jpg

This was the first day I got it and was freaked out on how well this thing shoots
32 Rounds 25 yards hand held indoors
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/cjstinks/100_2316-1.jpg

variablebinary
12-04-11, 03:23
Any word on frame cracking in recent production models.

mashed68
12-05-11, 22:05
My FNP45 is only up to about 500rds. It hates winchester white box [known mag problem, FN will replace the mags for free] but everything else feeds perfectly and its highly accurate. I like large grips and use the biggest backstrap it comes with.

skyugo
12-05-11, 22:45
i shot a 9 and hated it. the DA trigger sucks. I used the flat (small) back strap, which gave it a bizarrely upright grip. it has a really cheap feel overall for some reason.

all just my opinion, they are supposed to be very reliable, i had no issues in that regard. I'm normally a glock shooter.

Pappabear
12-08-11, 07:01
Very nice guns, make sure you get the latest generation in which that decocker is better protected. You will find the old ones $100 cheaper lying around gun stores.

B52U
12-08-11, 14:06
Any word on frame cracking in recent production models.

I have a lot of experience researching this issue as I own an FNP-40 made back in 2007. The issue was not the frame itself cracking, it was the polymer fire control group housing that sits inside the frame and houses the sear parts. The early designs in the 2006 and earlier period had a large notch built into the FCG housing wall to the side of the sear. That design combined with a bad batch of polymer FCG housings, was the cause of the cracking issues. FN upgraded this design with a FCG housing with no notch and the problems were eliminated. My particular pistol has a FCG with a smaller notch in this area and I've had 2500 rounds through it with no problems. FN replaces the FCG's for any guns that had this issue. Even with the crack the guns could still function, it was typically only discovered when they were broken down for cleaning/inspection that it was apparent it occurred.

My experience with the FNP-40 is that it is a reliable simple no frills pistol that is light weight and easy to carry concealed (slightly larger than a glock 19 or 23, but thinner in the grip area). Mine is the DA/SA without safety. Trigger is smooth with quite a bit of take-up.
With a thumbs forward grip, I have no problems interfering with the controls. If you have monster gorilla hands you might bump up against the decock lever. The metal decock lever on the FNP's hang out there a bit and can snag if you're careless about it, but are pretty durable. The newer FNX is a much revised design similar to the FNP-45. The 45 design has almost nothing in common with the smaller caliber FNP's and did not suffer from the FCG design issue of the early FNP9/40's. Some FNP-9's/40's will have some minor slide peening under the takedown lever area. Mine has some slight wear from this, but it never affected function.

Newer shooters will struggle with anticipation on shots with the DA/SA trigger on these. In comparison with a glock 23, I've found them to be very comfortable to shoot in 40 caliber as far as recoil is concerned. Curved backstrap is the way to go so the grip doesn't feel awkward as described above.

williejc
12-08-11, 18:37
B52U gave an excellent analysis which also reflected my experiences with the fnp series. My biggest complaint was magazines not locking slide after firing last round--on a regular basis. I understand that beefier springs may have resolved this issue. If you buy an fnp(or x), make your life easier by deciding to load one less round in the magazine, and you'll be able to seat the mag without whamming it.

For some, one drawback may be that these pistols must be returned to Browning's service dept for repairs.

B52U
12-08-11, 18:47
B52U gave an excellent analysis which also reflected my experiences with the fnp series. My biggest complaint was magazines not locking slide after firing last round--on a regular basis. I understand that beefier springs may have resolved this issue. If you buy an fnp(or x), make your life easier by deciding to load one less round in the magazine, and you'll be able to seat the mag without whamming it.

For some, one drawback may be that these pistols must be returned to Browning's service dept for repairs.

I agree with this. While you can seat a mag topped off, you really have to push it in and there is risk of not seating it. Running one less round helps with this and also prevents rattle from full compression (another common complaint with these mags). Parts availability is a concern with these guns. You can get some parts from midway USA on a special order basis, but mostly it's direct from Browning parts department and who knows how long they will support the older FNP model. As far as lockback issues, mine went away after the slide lock tang spring softened up (with a little help from me working it manually a bit).

Voodoo_Man
12-08-11, 18:59
I have an FN 45 tactical.

Probably the smoothest shooting .45 I have ever held.

phenom00
12-08-11, 20:32
I have an FNp9 with about 2000 rounds of cheap wally mart ammo in it and another 3-400 rounds of speer lawman. No problems what so ever so far. Personally I find it to be very reliable but nothing to write home about. I bought it as my first hammer fired pistol and wanted something different than my glocks. It is affordable and well built. Comes with 3 mags which is good because they are on the exspensive side and not the easiest to find.

TANTO
12-11-11, 12:33
The potential for unintentional decocking takes these guns right off the map for me. Sure it's not an issue for games though. I'm thinking of moving my USP's our of their HD mode because of this and they are A LOT harder to activate their decockers. JMO.

ryr8828
12-11-11, 13:37
The potential for unintentional decocking takes these guns right off the map for me. Sure it's not an issue for games though. I'm thinking of moving my USP's our of their HD mode because of this and they are A LOT harder to activate their decockers. JMO.

Maybe you'd be better suited with a pistol that doesn't have a decocker. I've never had any problems with my fnp .45 or fnp 9 and they are both safety/decockers. I love both of them. I haven't had a problem with any fn product I've ever owned.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz284/ryr8828/003.jpg

TANTO
12-11-11, 18:59
Clever turning this around to a lack of skill on my part because you lack objectivity concerning your apparently beloved FN. This isue is well documented on the USP and from my handling the gun it's my opinion that this issue will be even worse on the FNP. As an engineer i'm looking for any potential problems. And as a gunsmith and competitor i've seen many problems only occur under extreme stress. Can you say 100% that you will not clamp down on that thumb safety? No matter how good you are, don't think you can, but again only my opinion. Personally i wish both HK and FN would offer these guns without a decocker. I shoot them single action and don't need one.

B52U
12-12-11, 13:22
Clever turning this around to a lack of skill on my part because you lack objectivity concerning your apparently beloved FN. This isue is well documented on the USP and from my handling the gun it's my opinion that this issue will be even worse on the FNP. As an engineer i'm looking for any potential problems. And as a gunsmith and competitor i've seen many problems only occur under extreme stress. Can you say 100% that you will not clamp down on that thumb safety? No matter how good you are, don't think you can, but again only my opinion. Personally i wish both HK and FN would offer these guns without a decocker. I shoot them single action and don't need one.

I don't understand the premise of your argument. Are you saying that a DA shot is a liability in a stressful situation, or that somehow decocking will prevent a firearm from functioning? I carry decocked for the exact reason that you want a longer pull on the first shot due to stress so as to help prevent any pre-mature negligent discharge. Is this not why some police departments mandate DAO service pistols? Or am I misunderstanding? My pistol is DA/SA with no safety.
------------
Edit: I think I see what you're getting at. If the decock lever is held down then it goes to a half-cock position and will not strike the firing pin. Yes I can see that as a potential liability if the lever were held down constantly. This is something I never considered, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

ryr8828
12-12-11, 17:30
I didn't mean to butthurt anyone and I certainly don't want to get into a pissing match over this. If you have a problem hitting levers you don't mean to hit on a pistol then that pistol isn't for you. I've never shot my fnp's or any of my pistols under stress. I've shot several with safeties and decockers and have never inadvertently hit the lever by mistake.

I wouldn't feel nervous about carrying either of my fnp's but maybe this will make you feel better. I carry an xd9sc. When I go to bed I put it in the safe and take my xd .45 to bed with me. I had these pistols before I got my fnp's and haven't changed the pattern I was in.

TANTO
12-12-11, 20:36
The pistols with the DA/SA variant have a well known potential fight stopper that i consider a design **** up, big time. LAV and Hack have elaborated on this, but i'll give a quick sum. It's not an operator problem, it's the guns design.

If you carry the gun DA and just ignore the safety altogher it's not an issue, although personally i don't consider this an ideal way to carry a gun with a thumb safety, but thats another issue.

The problem is when using the gun single action. Most all single action shooters ride their right thumb on top of the safety after they have taken it to off, and they use the thumb to help stabilize the gun both up and down and laterally. Most 1911 shooters clamp down very hard. If a person gets a bit carried away (never done this in matches, but have done it many times dry firing) and presses just a bit too hard downward, the gun starts into decock locks the trigger. If the spring was a bit stronger it might be fine. HK apparently lists a variant without the decock, but is not actually avilable. And the FNP spring is really light. Major design flaw. We are talking absolutes here, trying to pick apart the design, right? What works for you works for you.

I own and like my two USP's and i think i like the FNP also, but i will eventually sell my USP's because of this. Perhaps a gunsmith (like me?) could defeat the decocker, but i'm now lookwarm on them anyway. Maybe FN will do a variant 9? I love the FNP firepower and the removable RDS plate is an awesome idea.

mstennes
12-13-11, 19:10
I have a 45 Tactical, I love it, has about a 1000 rounds through it now, with no problems at all. I had a HK 45 Tactical that I sold, as the FN felt better, had a better trigger, and just felt better in my hand. It almost shoots as good as my CQB, almost. I'm looking hard at getting a USG now.

majette
12-14-11, 12:53
i have fired the 9, .45, and .45 tac. good shooters but i have not had high enough round counts with them to give more than a quick take. based on my short experience they would not take the place of any polymer HK in my safe or on my hip but could go for an outing every now and then.

a few people mentioned steyr, i would prefer the m9-a1 to the fnp-9.

also, to the poster worried about the HK decocking, order a v9 detent plate which make the lever safe and fire only, carry c&l like a 1911 or convert to lem which is their best trigger option.

ryr8828
12-14-11, 15:56
I see no way to ride the safety on an fnp without your thumb being in contact with the slide.

TANTO
12-15-11, 12:08
it's the delicate balance that all competition SA autos are familiar with. You have to put most of the pressure down, hence the problem being discussed while attempting to hit the slide as little as possible. Yes it sucks and doesn't seem possible, but it is. This is one of the reasons so many folks are moving away from SA's IMO.

I shot low thumb for a decade because of my small hands. At that time i was a high b low a ipsc shooter. Every couple of years i would bump the safety up and lock the gun. Had NO IDEA what i had done and went into that stupid stare at the gun in the middle of the stage thing. Not good. You have to do high thumbs on a SA. All the good trainers will tell you the same.

J-Dub
02-01-12, 14:54
digging up this thread

So from what i've read these pistols are good to go correct? I'm not crazy about da/sa pistols but if one stumbled across a good deal theres no reason to pass correct?

Other than the mags are freakin exspensive...

B52U
02-01-12, 15:20
digging up this thread

So from what i've read these pistols are good to go correct? I'm not crazy about da/sa pistols but if one stumbled across a good deal theres no reason to pass correct?

Other than the mags are freakin exspensive...

My .40 has been reliable, but you bring up the main issue of parts and accessories being a liability and that could be at best an annoyance for you. From all I have experienced with FN CS they honor their implied lifetime warranty and are good to work with, but keep in mind the 9/40 FNP are discontinued models. Mags and parts could potentially get cheaper or they could get rare/expensive due to this. There are very few places to get parts other than direct from the browning parts department. (Browning Pro series = FNP, Browning is owned by FN).

J-Dub
02-02-12, 23:08
I'm glad i saw this thread. I'll be looking for one...

J-Dub
02-05-12, 08:07
Well i just picked up an all black FNP 9. If anyone is interested i'll report back from time to time on its reliablity and just general thoughts about it.

St.Michael
02-05-12, 09:12
I definitely want a range report!

koniz
02-05-12, 10:13
They made a version of the fnp, it was call browning pro. I have the 40

B52U
02-05-12, 13:32
Well i just picked up an all black FNP 9. If anyone is interested i'll report back from time to time on its reliablity and just general thoughts about it.

Good luck with it. Don't be concerned if you have slide lock back fail, brass to the head, or other break-in related issues the first few hundred rounds. These guns run smooth after break-in. The recoil spring is stiff at first.

J-Dub
02-05-12, 15:02
Ok, thanks for the heads up.

I'm going to run about 200rds through it tomorrow or tuesday. I'll report back, and continue to do so over a period of time.

I'll be doing it in this thread too, just to keep things streamlined.

J-Dub
02-07-12, 12:16
Well i hit the range this morning with my FNP9. I shot mostly federal 115gr fmj's and a few Hornady critical defense and TAP.

I had one malfunction out of about 170rds. An empty casing wasnt extracted causing a double feed like failure. A quick mag change (had to physically pull the mag out due to the tension of the slide trying to load the top round in the mag. I shouldve locked the slide back) worked the slide, inserted a new mag and went on.

I got a couple of pieces of brass in the face also. I also shot some steel at 50yds and the SA was great for that range, crisp light pull.

So far so good. Now i'm looking for a kydex style holster, might go with a Raven concealment.