PDA

View Full Version : Geissele SSA - durable?

dookie1481
04-25-09, 22:03
I have one of these, as I read everyone and their brother raving about them. I figured I'd give it a try. There is a thread on TOS that touched on this and I doubt I will get much useful info there, so I figured I'd ask here.

Is the SSA really durable? If so, what makes it more durable than other two-stages?

Jay

dookie1481
04-26-09, 20:21
Anyone?

Steelblitz
04-26-09, 20:39
I don't have one yet, mine from Adco has been on backorder for 3 months, with another few weeks to go I was told. I looked at a couple things before deciding to order it....first, who the manufacturer is and their reputation weighed heavily, enough said on that. Second, being a non-adjustable trigger, theres less chance of something coming loose or failing for a combat/fighting gun.

dookie1481
04-26-09, 21:32
I don't have one yet, mine from Adco has been on backorder for 3 months, with another few weeks to go I was told. I looked at a couple things before deciding to order it....first, who the manufacturer is and their reputation weighed heavily, enough said on that. Second, being a non-adjustable trigger, theres less chance of something coming loose or failing for a combat/fighting gun.

Yeah I basically bought it because of the Geissele's reputation. I don't know many shooters, especially not any with aftermarket triggers.

I was just wondering if it's a design issue that makes it more reliable and less prone to breaking.

Jay

El Mac
04-26-09, 23:42
Vapor gear.

Jerm
04-27-09, 16:04
I don't have one yet, mine from Adco has been on backorder for 3 months, with another few weeks to go I was told.

I hope that is correct.

I ordered mine at the end of Jan(3 months this week).I wasnt expecting it for several more months at the rate i've seen them coming in.I thought they were just getting into Oct 08 orders.

DRich
04-27-09, 20:29
I've got SSA's in four of my rifles. Two of them have been through 3-day carbine classes. One of those has just over 13k rounds down the pipe and still feels as good as the day I installed it. I've yet to hear of a SSA trigger failing during hard use. They are one of the few AR accessories that actually live up to the hype, IMO.

By comparison, I previously used RRA two-stage triggers in my competition rifles and they were usually worn down to crappy 1-stage triggers by the 10k mark.

Also, you might check Bravo Company fairly often. I bought two of my SSA's from them about six weeks ago and had them in my hands within 3 days.

HAIL-CAESAR
04-29-09, 03:47
Vapor gear.

Vaporwear is a item that is much hyped but never makes it to the market. Since I have 2 of them it can't be vaporwear. I got mine a couple of months ago and haven't had one bit of a problem. Several thousand of .223 and and 5,000 rounds on a 22 conversion on one SSA trigger alone.
They are hard to find because Geissele isn't making truck loads of them and they are in high demand. Luckily I called Brownells one day and asked about some things, one of them being if they are ever going to carry the SSA. They said they just got some in and won't even put them on the website as they would probably sell out immediately. I bought some and they sold out within hours.
Best 125 dollars I ever spent on a AR.

flyer
04-29-09, 12:42
I have 2 on order from ADCO since the end of September 08. If you ordered in 09, I would not count on seeing them soon.

sinister
04-29-09, 13:18
Bill built a cycling robot to test the durability of his National Match High Speed, DMR, Super Semi Auto, and Super Select Fire triggers.

In 200,000 trigger pull cycles he discovered you should probably change out your GI trigger and hammer springs around every 9,000 rounds or less (perhaps when you change barrels) as they are going to fail. The triggers keep going strong to WELL past the life of the weapon itself.

Super Select Fire (SSF) triggers are in select USSOCOM weapons.

I've spent hours with Bill having him explain his design and manufacturing processes. I'm shocked at the detail we went into, but not surprised that a company that specializes in one product gets it right.

As a testament I put my money where my mouth is. While my primary and alternate Camp Perry rifles are equipped with Krieger-Milazzo triggers (no longer made) I fitted a Geissele to my son's rifle and any new precision rifle I build.

beavo451
04-29-09, 14:54
Slight hi-jack, but are the SSAs available for .170 pins?

dookie1481
04-29-09, 15:21
Slight hi-jack, but are the SSAs available for .170 pins?

No I don't believe so

sinister
04-29-09, 16:51
Google:

"The Geissele DMR Rifle Trigger Pull Weights:

- First Stage: 1.3 - 3 pounds (2 pounds nominal)
- Second Stage: 0.5 to 1.5 pounds
- The Geissele Hi-Speed Designated Marksman Rifle Trigger is designed for tactical and military shooting where trigger pull weight is not regulated.

The Geissele DMR Trigger includes all the Geissele standard features:

- Lightning fast lock time
- Separate sear adjustment for a sharp 2nd stage
- Independent 2nd stage weight adjustment
- Overtravel adjustment
- Wire EDM cut sear surfaces for a smooth, precise pull

The Geissele DMR trigger combines the light 1st stage of the Match trigger with the more robust 2nd stage weight of our Service trigger. Perfect for all precision tactical shooting and squad Designated Marksmen, the higher 2nd stage weight helps in high stress shooting situations. Although the Geissele DMR trigger is not select fire the smooth pull allows an experienced shooter to fire at a rate exceeding 400 RPM which will empty a 30 round M16 magazine in 4.5 seconds.

The Geissele DMR trigger also works great for 3 Gun matches, hunting and general target shooting.

*NOTE: Colt receivers with large pins (.169" dia) require our Large Pin Trigger. Our Large Pin Trigger will not work in a lower that has a Sear Block. Some early Colt receivers and all other branded receivers (Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River, Olympic Arms, Eagle Arms, PWS, Stag, CLE, etc) use the small pin (.154" dia) that our Small Pin Trigger is designed for. "

beavo451
04-29-09, 17:22
Google:

Yes that is for the Hi-Speed trigger, I was asking about the SSA combat trigger (the subject of this thread).

Derek_Connor
04-29-09, 19:15
I have a SSA in an SBR.

It works, works well.

Lots of rounds through so far (4k+, but just one 3day carbine course)

Good to go.

CarlosDJackal
04-29-09, 20:40
My question is if it is reallyworth the over $270 price tag? I can understand in DMR or match rifles. But for Tactical or Service rifles? :eek:

DRich
04-29-09, 20:46
My question is if it is reallyworth the over $270 price tag? I can understand in DMR or match rifles. But for Tactical or Service rifles? :eek:

The SSA is usually in the $190 range...and worth every penny.

CarlosDJackal
04-29-09, 20:57
The SSA is usually in the $190 range...and worth every penny.

Okay, $190 (actually, it's priced less than that on most online stores). But how is it worth every penny? What does the $190 trigger for a duty gun deliver that the regular (stock) trigger doesn't deliver?

I understand the importance of a good trigger especially for target or match rifles. But how is it worth "every penny" for Patrol rifles? Or is the extra cost better applied towards some quality optics or ammo (not so much nowadays)?

tia.

sinister
04-29-09, 21:59
I would imagine a standard, tuned GI single-stage trigger meets the requirements of over 95% of the folks who shoot M4geries.

If you don't need it, or want it just because it's the next "coolest" thing (and you'll never shoot to 200+ yards on a regular basis) spend the money on ammo.

vicious_cb
04-29-09, 22:48
Bill built a cycling robot to test the durability of his National Match High Speed, DMR, Super Semi Auto, and Super Select Fire triggers.

In 200,000 trigger pull cycles he discovered you should probably change out your GI trigger and hammer springs around every 9,000 rounds or less (perhaps when you change barrels) as they are going to fail. The triggers keep going strong to WELL past the life of the weapon itself.

Super Select Fire (SSF) triggers are in select USSOCOM weapons.

I've spent hours with Bill having him explain his design and manufacturing processes. I'm shocked at the detail we went into, but not surprised that a company that specializes in one product gets it right.

As a testament I put my money where my mouth is. While my primary and alternate Camp Perry rifles are equipped with Krieger-Milazzo triggers (no longer made) I fitted a Geissele to my son's rifle and any new precision rifle I build.

That said I still grease the shit out of the engagement surfaces to get more life out of the trigger :p

Bimmer
04-30-09, 00:49
Vaporwear is a item that is much hyped but never makes it to the market. Since I have 2 of them it can't be vaporwear.

While we're correcting each other's vocabulary, let me point out that it would be "vaporware," not "vaporwear."

The SSA isn't vaporware, but after six months on the wait list at ADCO I gave up and sent my trigger to Bill Springfield.

$40 later, I'm completely satisfied, and I saved $110 over an SSA.

Is it as good as an SSA? No idea.

Is it WAY better than the stock trigger? Yes.

Bimmer