PDA

View Full Version : What's so special about the LMT/Crane SOPMOD stock?

Taipan
04-26-09, 00:35
Is it really worth 200 bucks?
How is it all that much better than a VLTOR Emod?
Thanks
:D

spamsammich
04-26-09, 00:41
for somebody like me, that doesn't have much facial hair, the Emod is a way better value.

Taipan
04-26-09, 00:44
for somebody like me, that doesn't have much facial hair, the Emod is a way better value.
HAHAHA I have caught a goatee hair or two in mine now that you mention it.

esskay
04-26-09, 01:45
Best things about it for me:
It's very solid - locks up real nice and tight. And it's very comfy - great cheek weld.

sff70
04-26-09, 01:57
I have one and like it.

The CTR is a better value and I like it better, partially due to the angle of the buttplate.

bkb0000
04-26-09, 01:59
i'm a SOPMOD lover.. they're the only reason to buy LMT lowers, and it's a pretty decent value when you factor that in. i wouldn't go buying a bunch of SOPMODs by themselves- certainly not a complete kit. i've bought a couple used ones on gunbroker for 150, and that's well worth it for me to have a stock that's simple perfection.

the vltors are perfectly good stocks- the facial hair issue can be helped by simply 100mph taping the joint. FDE, OD, black, i've even seen FG 100mph tape.

Kimbo
04-26-09, 02:24
Is it really worth 200 bucks?
How is it all that much better than a VLTOR Emod?
Thanks

It's not worth $200 but I bought one anyways haha.

SwatDawg15
04-26-09, 02:29
I run the CTR on my M4's, but I had the pleasure of shooting a 18"'r the other day with the SOPMOD, and I gotta say... very comfortable.. You could damn near fall asleep in the prone position :o

EzGoingKev
04-26-09, 02:49
Because it
has great cheek weld
main body is one piece
fits great
has storage space
has a nice rubber buttpad

Byron
04-26-09, 10:43
I have one LMT SOPMOD stock and two VLTOR Emods. I like them all a lot, but I guess here's what I like about one over the other:

LMT

One piece
Shorter overall length
Doesn't have the sling attachment on the top of the stock like the Emod
I find the adjustment lever to be more positive to engage. You could argue that this makes it easier to hit accidentally, but I've never had that issue.

VLTOR

Don't need to remove stock to access side battery tubes
Has extra battery compartment
Looks cooler :p
Larger surface area of buttpad

As you can see, a lot of these are issues of preference or opinion. I think either stock is great.

YVK
04-26-09, 12:06
I also have both, and I don't think SOPMOD is $80 better than E-Mod.

Another difference between the two is weight. E-Mod is heavier and gives better balance for front-heavy guns. SOPMOD is lighter, and if you arbitrarily broke all stocks down into "utility" vs. "comfort" groups, SOPMOD would be the lightest comfort stock.

steppenwolf
04-26-09, 12:25
"... I don't think SOPMOD is $80 better than E-mod."

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

A while back I tried out a bud's carbine which runs a SOPMOD so as to compare it with the E-MOD on my Noveske. His SOPMOD was comfortable and stable, with good cheekweld, but the E-MOD is too - and it's less spendy. I also haven't noticed where "weight" is an issue w/ my E-MOD.

FG E-MOD, w/ FG MOE grip.
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/CIMG0167.jpg

rsilvers
04-26-09, 13:36
I liked the LMT the best until Magpul. I am just as happy with a CTR as the LMT. Now I have both and like both. Vltor is of course high quality but it seems complex and I never tried one.

RogerinTPA
04-26-09, 14:42
I have two. Bought one and the other came with the LMT lower I got. I'm varied satisfied with them, but for cost factor, go with the Emod. As someone said, if you get the LMT stock with the lower, it's more cost effective than just getting the stock alone.

Cohibra45
04-26-09, 19:21
They are less than $200 when you purchase the complete lower or rifle. They are more like $100 extra when you purchase the lower and/or rifle.;) To me, that makes it much more worth it!!!

hossb7
04-26-09, 19:49
when you bring it up to your face for a cheek weld, you'll know.

i felt like i could take a nap on it.

Hootbro
04-26-09, 20:59
when you bring it up to your face for a cheek weld, you'll know.

i felt like i could take a nap on it.

That is the best description I have seen yet. I never understood the fuss until I recently purchased and installed one.

jtb0311
04-28-09, 03:19
I bought an LMT SOPMOD back when there were a lot fewer choices for aftermarket stocks. I like it very much and am not going to spend more money just to see if something newer and cooler satisfies me as much. I will admit that one of the things I really like about it is the simple look - I actually dislike the VLTOR and Magpul stocks. Hell, I'm also one of the guys who really likes the old 4 position GI stock too, just because it's tiny. These two are all I will ever put on any rifles I build.

sandman99and9
04-28-09, 12:17
That is the best description I have seen yet. I never understood the fuss until I recently purchased and installed one.

Hey Hoot, I clicked your do not click here link thinking I was gonna get "rick rolled". Little did I know it was going to be "eric" ha,ha,ha I got a good laugh out of that one !! Touche to you my friend.

s.m.

WS6
04-28-09, 12:44
I bought an LMT Sopmod kit the other day. I never mounted it, but I did put the stock on the tube.

WOW

All I can say. Fits perfect and locks in tight. Meh, now I am selling the darn thing having never used it as I am not building an AR, but if I were, I would not have done it differently. They really are as solid as people say.

LMTRocks
04-28-09, 14:18
On my LMT it came with the SOPMOD stock and I liked it until I found an E-MOD attached to a LWRC. Then I loved my SOPMOD. I can feel the "separation" on my cheek weld and it kinda distracts me. I like the continuous surface of the SOPMOD versus the "broken" surface on the E-MOD.