PDA

View Full Version : Grant's MURSE???

C4IGrant
04-26-09, 15:45
Like most of you, I have followed the MURSE (man purse) discussions on here for quite some time. I never got into them much as I had little to no use for such a creature (until recently).

Before we go any further, let me first state that I believe that the BEST place for a gun is ON the body and NOT in a bag. With that said, there are times and places where a bag comes in very handy.

The thread on the Maxpedition Fatboy caught my eye as I was looking for options.

So I began to dig through Maxpeditions website and see what they had to offer. I knew that the Fatboy was most likely a good fit for me, but I wanted to see what other kit they had. One of the things that bothered me about a bag slung (and tied down) to my right side was how I would get a spare mag out (in a hurry) without releasing my gun. I found the answer with the Maxpedition JANUS (#8001).

The JANUS extension pocket clips right into the sling of the Fatboy and is positioned right in the center of your chest. This makes it VERY easy to open with your left hand and retrieve a spare magazine!

Over the last couple of weeks, I have started to put things in my Fatboy that I thought would come in handy. I tailored it to my needs and my current environment. *Soon I will be adding a med kit to the main center pocket.*

Below are some pics and descriptions of what I am carrying in my fatboy.

Fatboy (Black-Foliage)
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Fatboy.jpg
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Fatboy_Strap.jpg

OC Spray
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Fatboy_OC.jpg

SureFire E2DL
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Fatboy_E2DL.jpg

Benchmade Houdini PRO
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Fatboy_Benchmade.jpg

S&W M&P Handcuffs
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Fatboy_S&WHC.jpg

Helios Lighter and 12hr Glow Stick
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Fatboy_Helios.jpg

Maxpedition VOLTA (holds 8 SF CR123A batts)
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Fatboy_Volta.jpg
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Fatboy_Volta_SF.jpg

Maxpedition JANUS (holds 2-3 mags and a knife)
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Janus_Mag.jpg

HK P7 M8
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Fatboy_Gun.jpg

UDT
04-26-09, 16:09
Thanks, for sharing. Nice looking setup.

C4IGrant
04-26-09, 16:15
Thanks, for sharing. Nice looking setup.

Thanks and you are welcome.

C4

Palmguy
04-26-09, 18:35
Wow, I need to get that JANUS add-on for mine (and the CR123 holder). Would definitely come in handy, I've thought the same thing as you, that how I currently carry mags ain't the easiest way in the world to do it.

I never thought I'd need a bag like that but since I bought mine, I've found it comes in very handy.

Hersh
04-26-09, 18:39
Nice report Grant. We must have been reading the same thread and I ordered the same bag recently in Khaki/Sage. Do you suppose my 9mm M&P (4-1/4" barrel) will fit into the pocket your P7 is in?

Blake
04-26-09, 20:02
Grant,

I have one of these bags. It still has the tags on it. I got the bag, because my brother had it, and wasn't using it. What do you foresee as being some of the uses for a "MURSE" like this?

nickdrak
04-26-09, 21:14
Im still not convinced carrying a pistol inside of a bag like this is a viable carry option. Support gear such as extra mags, lights, batteries, and my "gimp gear" (diabetes support gear)? Absolutely, but as Grant said, my pistol will be attached to my person via a dedicated holster.

On a side note....

Why in God's name did I ever sell my P7M8??? I love those damn guns!!! Oh well, atleast I found it a good home!

C4IGrant
04-26-09, 22:24
Im still not convinced carrying a pistol inside of a bag like this is a viable carry option. Support gear such as extra mags, lights, batteries, and my "gimp gear" (diabetes support gear)? Absolutely, but as Grant said, my pistol will be attached to my person via a dedicated holster.

On a side note....

Why in God's name did I ever sell my P7M8??? I love those damn guns!!! Oh well, atleast I found it a good home!

I use the bag when I go to the gym and cannot have a gun on my body. The bag can be set right next to me and no one is the wiser.

I am sure that I will find other uses for it as well & believe that I will also carry it even when I have my gun on me.

This M8 is my first. I must say that I shoot this weapon better than any other and of course mag changes are FAST!

Just today, I was on my range shooting at a 5" steel circle and hitting it out to 50yds with little effort. We classify that as a keeper!

C4

ST911
04-26-09, 22:47
Im still not convinced carrying a pistol inside of a bag like this is a viable carry option.

Best for a spare/extra, or as a storage method, as presentation is slow and usually two-handed.

Sometimes, it's the only option when on-body carry isn't possible.

CLHC
04-27-09, 01:41
Nice! Still "musing" the Maxpedition Fatboy series as an EDC. :cool:

Vic303
04-27-09, 09:28
I've had a khaki Fatboy S for a year or two. Only really found it useful when I was in PT and didn't use the waistpack. Biggest problem I find is remembering to pick it back up after setting it down. It helped to put the car keys in it, but I really prefer the waistpack for that sort of thing I guess. Also the Fatboy tended to try to flop around whenever I bent over. Wish the snap strap on back would hold stronger so it could be slipped thru a belt and hold it still on my side.

ST911
04-27-09, 09:45
For another murse option, check out the Tactical Tailor Crossfire pack. Nice setup, amenable to mods and tweaks, and made in the US.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/crossfireconcealedcarrybag.aspx

3p031
04-27-09, 09:52
I was just looing into one of these bags. Can you tell me what hand this is. Im guessing right since it looks like the side arm is set for a right hand draw but I might be wrong. Could you also tell me if the bag moves around alot on your person while you walk? would a sig p226 fit in or is it made for subcompact frames?
Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure out if I should order one.

C4IGrant
04-27-09, 10:00
I was just looing into one of these bags. Can you tell me what hand this is. Im guessing right since it looks like the side arm is set for a right hand draw but I might be wrong. Could you also tell me if the bag moves around alot on your person while you walk? would a sig p226 fit in or is it made for subcompact frames?
Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure out if I should order one.

Right hand. The bag has an attachment point that loops around your belt (which helps stabilize it).

A 226 will fit.

C4

CLHC
04-27-09, 10:08
Hey Grant!

There a way to post pictures of it donned on you for bag to body-size comparison? I sure don't want it to order a Fatboy and later find it to be too small and should have just gone with the Jumbo Versipack instead. My skinny: 5' 8" @ 160# 40R 32W :D

3p031
04-27-09, 10:11
Thank your sir I think Ill order one tonight.

C4IGrant
04-27-09, 10:17
Hey Grant!

There a way to post pictures of it donned on you for bag to body-size comparison? I sure don't want it to order a Fatboy and later find it to be too small and should have just gone with the Jumbo Versipack instead. My skinny: 5' 8" @ 160# 40R 32W :D

I will see what I can do. The fatboy is one of the smalles (or is the smallest bag) that they make so someone of your size should go with this one.

Just FYI, we have them in stock and offer M4C member discounts on them.

C4

CLHC
04-27-09, 10:19
I will see what I can do. The fatboy is one of the smalles (or is the smallest bag) that they make so someone of your size should go with this one.

C4
Awesome! Thanks!

ST911
04-27-09, 20:01

Of those of that type, the Thermite Versipack is the smallest. Almost too small, but still serviceable.

C4IGrant
04-28-09, 08:45
Nice report Grant. We must have been reading the same thread and I ordered the same bag recently in Khaki/Sage. Do you suppose my 9mm M&P (4-1/4" barrel) will fit into the pocket your P7 is in?

The M&P will fit in it.

C4

C4IGrant
04-28-09, 08:51
Hey Grant!

A local Deputy from the SO stopped in yesterday so I made him model my MURSE.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Ben_Fatboy.jpg

Buck
04-28-09, 10:55
Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45-caliber automatic, two boxes ammunition, four days' concentrated emergency rations, one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills, one miniature combination "Rooshin" phrase book and Bible, one hundred dollars in rubles, one hundred dollars in gold, nine packs of chewing gum, one issue of prophylactics, three lipsticks, three pair of nylon stockings... Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff!

;)

B

Hersh
04-28-09, 17:12
Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45-caliber automatic, two boxes ammunition, four days' concentrated emergency rations, one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills, one miniature combination "Rooshin" phrase book and Bible, one hundred dollars in rubles, one hundred dollars in gold, nine packs of chewing gum, one issue of prophylactics, three lipsticks, three pair of nylon stockings... Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff!

;)

B

:D That's one of my favorite scenes!!

SeriousStudent
04-28-09, 17:27

;)

B

I actually met Mr. Pickens a few years back, and chatted with him. A very nice gentleman.

</end thread diversion>

Vic303
04-28-09, 20:59

;)

B

Ah yes...a classic. But has anyone here seen the Pie Fight sequence that was cut?

Hersh
04-28-09, 22:28
Ah yes...a classic. But has anyone here seen the Pie Fight sequence that was cut?

Pie fights are a Communist plot to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids!!!

I've never seen that sequence.

JWNathan
04-28-09, 23:41
Thanks for that link Skintop, that TT murse is right up my alley! My current murse is a Maxpedition proteous fanny pack......er, I mean versipack. Its great but I got so much stuff crammed into it it weighs down my briches a touch.
-Jesse

mattjmcd
04-29-09, 21:46
A will second the rec on the JANUS extension. It really expands the utility of this pack. I also use it to serve as an anchor for my fixed blade knife- either a MW Sniper of Strider. The sheath stuffs under the JANUS with just the handle protruding. Handy and still fairly stealthy.

dave5339
04-30-09, 08:21
I'm a big fan of the Maxpedition Neat Freak (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=58).

I work in the telecomm field and it is my everyday carry. During the work week it holds my phones, pager, a couple of useful hand tools, PDA, and other necessary items.

When not at work, it makes a nice place to stash a couple spare Glock 21SF magazines.

Semper Fi

CobraBG
04-30-09, 18:06
Great write up and pics. Thanks for posting. I've looked at these before, but your pics show more detail than I have found. If you were to wear it over the shoulder without using the belt attachment do you feel it would still be useful? I'm thinking of times when I would want to wear it without a belt and may want to put it on or take it off quickly. Like summer attire... shorts and an untucked T shirt. Or maybe over a jacket. The storage would be helpful for family day trips. That combined with concealment makes it very interesting.

CobraBG
04-30-09, 18:10
I'm a big fan of the Maxpedition Neat Freak (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=58).

I work in the telecomm field and it is my everyday carry. During the work week it holds my phones, pager, a couple of useful hand tools, PDA, and other necessary items.

When not at work, it makes a nice place to stash a couple spare Glock 21SF magazines.

Semper Fi

Are you the same Dave shown hanging on a pole in the Maxpedition Spring 2009 catalog add for the Neat Freak (page 12)? :)

CLHC
04-30-09, 20:30
A local Deputy from the SO stopped in yesterday so I made him model my MURSE.
Cool and Thanks for that shot!

I'm just guessing that it's not posted on your site yet, or I don't know how to "navigate" through the online store. . .:eek:

C4IGrant
04-30-09, 20:39
Cool and Thanks for that shot!

I'm just guessing that it's not posted on your site yet, or I don't know how to "navigate" through the online store. . .:eek:

We do not have anything up on the website yet.

C4

dave5339
04-30-09, 21:04
Are you the same Dave shown hanging on a pole in the Maxpedition Spring 2009 catalog add for the Neat Freak (page 12)? :)

Well just dang! That would be me.

That picture got us a 50% off coupon from Maxped which we put to use and got a Multi Purpose Bag, it makes a fantastic range bag. When we use it for travel it gets referred to as the "Jack Bauer" bag.

Semper Fi

Vic303
04-30-09, 22:13
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Maxpedition/Ben_Fatboy.jpg

Hey Grant, I've got one of those Benchmade yellow rescue knives too. Ziptied the sheath to the steering column of the van. That way I won't lose it or have it go flying around the van in an accident.

madisonsfinest
04-30-09, 22:17
are you selling the janus? I already have a versipack.

tinman44
04-30-09, 23:50
i've got a colossus versipack that rides in my truck. it doubles as a bug out bag and a range bag. i carry pistol ammo/mags, 12gauge ammo(truck gun), flashlight, batteries, gloves, lighter, knives, bino's, compass, signal mirror, whistle, haft of 550, i could go on and on its stuffed, every pocket full. it finds its way out of my truck usually just at the range. but its primary purpose is if i have to abandon my truck i have a bag of goodies to get me home. i like the idea of cuffs and will likely add some, never know who you would run into in a scenario you are abandoning your vehicle to hump it home. i didnt see the need for one until i got it. about like carrying around a flashlight in my pocket.

Irish
05-01-09, 20:36
Thanks for posting those pics and the write up. Looks like I might be joining you due to living in Vegas where it's hot as hell and I'm always in surf trunks, t-shirt and flip flops. I've been searching for something like this due to being out on my boat as much as possible in the hot months.
What color combo is that Grant? Looks like black & green on my monitor.

C4IGrant
05-01-09, 20:47
Thanks for posting those pics and the write up. Looks like I might be joining you due to living in Vegas where it's hot as hell and I'm always in surf trunks, t-shirt and flip flops. I've been searching for something like this due to being out on my boat as much as possible in the hot months.
What color combo is that Grant? Looks like black & green on my monitor.

Black/foliage.

C4

CLHC
05-09-09, 22:24
We do not have anything up on the website yet.

C4
Finally it's up and on! PM sent. :cool:

CLHC
05-11-09, 02:09
Just placed an order for the Maxpedition Versipack Fatboy and a JANUS Extension Pocket. So, will see how it'll be "fit to be tried" on my person when it gets here. :D

theJanitor
07-07-09, 17:45
anyone put together a first-aid kit for one of these? i'm looking to put one together that won't entirely kill the space in the main compartment, and i need some ideas

CLHC
07-07-09, 20:17
anyone put together a first-aid kit for one of these? i'm looking to put one together that won't entirely kill the space in the main compartment, and i need some ideas
I just put a simple one (Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight .5) in the front zip compartment under the main flap. It came in "handy" last weekend for me. Of course, Your Methods May Vary accordingly so! :cool:

C4IGrant
07-08-09, 08:52

I am using the BFG kit with mine.

C4

FMF_Doc
07-08-09, 16:56
Grant-

part of me wants to make fun of you mercilessly for having a purse, but with the gear you have in it and the way it is arranged I am hardpressed to see a downside to this "murse thingy" that you have.

I am now secretly debating if I need such an animal............

Although it should definitely be renamed "covert combatant rig".

JSantoro
07-08-09, 20:55
Mine go-bag has printed on it: "Sgt XXXXXXX's Tactical Man-Purse. DO NOT Accessorize!"

OWN your man-purse, and be proud.

m24shooter
07-08-09, 23:19
Just placed an order for the Maxpedition Versipack Fatboy and a JANUS Extension Pocket. So, will see how it'll be "fit to be tried" on my person when it gets here. :D
I've got the S version and a Janus. Just got it a few weeks ago and it is great.
I've got the parts to a BOK in the main compartment, although I'm going to slim them down some. There is still room in the main compartment even with an H bandage, large Kerlix, two primeds, a tape roll, some gloves, and shears.
I keep the Adventure Medial small pouch in one of the outside zipper pockets.
I'll post a pic tomorrow when the light is OK.

tinman44
07-09-09, 00:45
here's my murse, it rides in my truck.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9995/wreckinghammer019j.jpg

C4IGrant
07-09-09, 09:30
Grant-

part of me wants to make fun of you mercilessly for having a purse, but with the gear you have in it and the way it is arranged I am hardpressed to see a downside to this "murse thingy" that you have.

I am now secretly debating if I need such an animal............

Although it should definitely be renamed "covert combatant rig".

Ya, I hear that a lot.

C4

Ricardus
07-09-09, 10:29
My Army buddy said he would not be caught dead with a "Murse"; most likely designed for "Manginas". :eek:

He said that returning to the U.S. after being deployed for so long, the first thing he noticed was the "pussification" of American males.:eek:

Of course, I gave him my side of things and suggested that we gun owners should start thinking about disguising our firearms more given the current political climate.

I said that the murse was an excellent urban carry system and even using a carrier for tennis rackets (my idea) to carry my M4orgery beats the hell out of alerting everyone that you have firearms.;)

All that tacticool equipment will not enhance our manhood and it will simply alert prying neighbors to what we do on weekends.:cool:

I don't know if I convinced him or not.:(

Bullwinkle
07-09-09, 13:02
I have a Jumbo and use it daily, it's a great piece of kit. Will have to check out the Janus extension as i need a few external pouches due to running out of room in the side pockets.

Irish
07-09-09, 13:28
I tried on the Fatboy and it wasn't for me, a little too purse like... However, I did try on and buy the Remora gearslinger and found it much more user friendly for me. I've been carrying a G19, spare mag, light and several other odds & ends with great success. I'll be posting a review on it shortly.
As a side note Maxpedition is having a buy 1 get 1 free on some other items here: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=30

theJanitor
07-09-09, 13:37
I am using the BFG kit with mine.

C4

the TKN! or the boo-boo pouch? which compartment? i like the idea of it fitting in the zippered pouch, so i can have the main compartment for bigger items

Leonidas
07-19-09, 00:58
I can see something like this being even more useful during the colder months when wearing winter garments will make it a little more difficult to access a concealed firearm.
Another thought also comes to mind. If you decide to carry a pistol on your right side, how functional is the pack wearing it on your left side?
Thanks

Jerm
07-19-09, 13:35
It works well enough i'd say.I believe the S-type is designed for lefty carry though(i'm sure it's better).

Has anyone tried doubling up on the Janus extension pouches?