PDA

View Full Version : Which backup iron sight do you prefer, and why?

SecretAgentMan
04-27-09, 10:29
The thread title says it all.

mmike87
04-27-09, 10:46
For folding sights, Troy. Quality construction, and the rear sight folds about as flat as possible without disappearing into the receiver.

For fixed - I don't know yet. Three rifles have Troy but I want to try a fixed BUIS on the fourth, whcih currently wears a YHM BUIS which you may as well not even fold down it sits so high.

I've used a RRA "tactical" carry handle on that rifle with an Aimpoint, and the setup worked fine and had a lower 1/3 co-witness, but was really a pretty ridiculous and heavy setup. The handle came with an old rifle, so I thought I'd try it.

Given that I liked the sight picture it gave, I was thinking the LMT would be closer. But I like the idea on the DD rear BUIS of just having a slotted screw that doesn't stick out - since there is little reason to frequently remove the BUIS anyway. The LaRue is nice, but again - no real reason to remove the buis, so the QD is not necessary.

I'll probably go with the Daniel Defense if I can find one.

SSGN_Doc
04-27-09, 10:47
Troy. Low profile, low snag, mounts solid, set it and forget it.

Avenger29
04-27-09, 10:57
I don't often see the Cavalry Arms fixed BUIS mentioned. Anybody know anything about it?

http://www.cavalryarms.com/SARS.html

Good option for $65?

Thinking about picking one up myself. Larue is a great company, but I don't need quick detach...

Magpul has their MBUS.

ROADKING
04-27-09, 11:05
TROY quality built tuff.

decodeddiesel
04-27-09, 11:08
For folding I like the Troy and KAC sights. The Matech I had in the Army worked OK as well. The new Magpul MBUS are sweet too, but availability sucks right now. I really only use folding sights on a magnified optic though like an ACOG.

I prefer fixed BUIS on a fighting carbine with a RDS, and for that I like either the LaRue BUIS or LMT BUIS.

YMMV.

rob_s
04-27-09, 11:23
I've been using Troy. Even when I want a fixed, I'm leaning towards more and more just leaving the Troy in the "UP" position.

I'm dying to try one of the new KAC 300 meter versions. Smaller and lighter than the current.

CounTeR
04-27-09, 11:44
YHM Fixed.

I'm a cheap ass.

Fringe
04-27-09, 11:55
I love the Troy too, but have recently been running the DD M4 carbine with their proprietary fixed sight and I am loving it. I imagine the Larue is the same.

lanceriley
04-27-09, 12:20
I use an LMT and I love it!

BigJim #1-8
04-27-09, 12:29
Troy.Built like a Tank!

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

jwinch2
04-27-09, 12:35
Has anyone gone with the HK style front sight by troy rather than the M4 version on your AR? If so, why? Just curious. I am in the market for some folding sights myself and while I have used the M4 sights in the past with success, I am always open to new ways of operating...

I'm not sure what the supposed benefits of that style of sight versus the M4 style are...

Thoughts?

Cheers and regards...

NCPatrolAR
04-27-09, 12:39
I use Larue fixed rear sights on all my ARs

George Mac
04-27-09, 13:09
Troy front and rear. High quality product and I am a fan of the HK style front.

citizensoldier16
04-27-09, 13:18
Has anyone gone with the HK style front sight by troy rather than the M4 version on your AR? If so, why? Just curious. I am in the market for some folding sights myself and while I have used the M4 sights in the past with success, I am always open to new ways of operating...

I'm not sure what the supposed benefits of that style of sight versus the M4 style are...

Thoughts?

Cheers and regards...

A friend of mine went with the HK "Diopter" style Troy front sight. At first I didn't like it because it wasn't what was ingrained in my head during Basic. But after firing it a few times, and once in a class, I really took a liking to it.

It's really easy to use...you just line the circles up and squeeze. You only see the vertical post inside the circle. I may be switching soon.

YVK
04-27-09, 13:49
It's really easy to use...you just line the circles up and squeeze. You only see the vertical post inside the circle. I may be switching soon.

Lining the circles up only works if the front post is right smack in the center of front circle; if it isn't, lined up cirlces will give incorrect sight picture. In original HK sights the front post is fixed and is right in center. With Troys, the front post cannot be guaranteed to be centered; after all, one turns it up or down to get appropriate elevation adjustment.

I am not a big fan of Troy rear sights after going with them as a primary sight through LAV's class. The aperture selector got knocked out of position several times.

Kimbo
04-27-09, 13:55
IMO Troy or the LMT buis. The matech's are okay but doesn't have an O2 aperture. The Magpul MBUS didn't really impress me. For the money they are great but there's something about them that I don't like and I'm willing to pay extra for the Troy's

rob_s
04-27-09, 14:11
Yep, the Troy circular front sight ears are misleading as your elevation may not be correct.

beaker1013
04-27-09, 14:17
The MI SPLP's work for me.

nichud09
04-27-09, 14:25
A.R.M.S. makes a pretty decent BUIS. only flaw is using it with an ACOG but it limits me from mounting my TA-31f further back on the rifle... which then limits me from even using the BUIS!!! crap! i gotta get another BUIS.

Agile53
04-27-09, 14:31
Troy's F & R. Hooded (HK) for the last sev. years w/ my RDS, also have the M4 front.
Zero problems running the hooded Troys, never notice the hood being present.
Want to try the MBUS, can't get hurt much @ $100.
YMMV & just my .02

ROADKING
04-27-09, 14:54
A.R.M.S. does make a good mount and buis.

QuickStrike
04-27-09, 15:01
I've been using Troy. Even when I want a fixed, I'm leaning towards more and more just leaving.

+1. I just leave mine up also.

CarlosDJackal
04-27-09, 15:24
Larue BUIS. It's the most KISS example I have found. Plus it's repeatable - no matter how often I have taken it off the rifle for cleaning and such, it has never shifted zero. YMMV.

RD62
04-27-09, 15:27
I have been running LMT fixed with good results, but like the look of the DD fixed, and may give them a chance when they are released seperately.

Prior to the LMT's I used ARMS #40 foliding rears. I've decided to give folding rears another chance on my new BCM Middy build and should have some Magpul MBUS sights here tomorrow to try.

-RD62

HiggsBoson
04-27-09, 16:46
Troy for folding, LaRue for fixed. The Troy is very solid (for a folder), easy to use, and stays out of the way. The LaRue fixed is simplified and works great, you can't find a more rock-solid BUIS; I did try the LMT and liked it, but it's got more parts and didn't seem as solid as the stripped-down LaRue.

seb5
04-27-09, 18:20
I, like most have and prefer Troy for folders. I have the Larue and DD rear fixed and with RDS they are the business. No surprises here.

I also have a set of PRI, front and rear and they are every bit as nice as the Troys. I couldn't say they are an improvement, but they are a quality option if you want something a little different.

ST911
04-27-09, 19:40
I've been using Troy. Even when I want a fixed, I'm leaning towards more and more just leaving the Troy in the "UP" position.

I'm dying to try one of the new KAC 300 meter versions. Smaller and lighter than the current.

LT for fixed, Troy for folding are first choices.

Pending some more testing with the MBUS, they'll likely get a hearty nod, too. They're going to be big.

I'd also like to see the new KAC.

olds442tyguy
04-27-09, 20:46
I prefer Troy and Midwest's. I'm an avid hater of mixing ghost rings and blade sights though. There's nothing like having an outright circle with a little post in the middle as opposed to having two floppy looking blades not only clogging up your sight picture, but making you take longer to get there. I think I'm faster and more accurate lining up two circles as opposed to a circle and two blades as well.

USMC03
04-27-09, 21:20
I have tried several back up iron sights over the years (ARMS, LMT, Midwest Industries, GG&G, and several others) and experienced some sort of issue with all of them (or at the very least, features that I didn't like or were less than optimal).

Since 2004 I have only used and only recommended 2 back up iron sights.

LaRue for a fixed BUIS. Everything you need, nothing you don't. No knobs to inadvertantly turn when you don't want them to, low profile, rock solid mounting mechanism.

LaRue Tactical BUIS:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/LMT%20SWAT%20Gun/DPP_0002-2.jpg

Troy Ind. folding rear if you need a rear folding sight. Locks in the "up" position, rock solid, mounting screw has plenty of thread space so it won't come loose, no external knobs that will can easily be moved (thus changing your windage), low profiile, solid unit.

Troy Ind. BUIS:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/LMT%20with%20Short%20Dot/DPP_0339.jpg

Like others, I'm looking forward to checking out the Magpul MBUS and the new offerings from Knights Armament.

S/F,
Jeff

Mac5.56
04-27-09, 22:00
So I take it Troy wins the poll so far for folding...:)
This is a good thread guys, I will be spending the extra money when I get mine. I have been leaning towards Troy since I purchased the gun, but seeing so many positive reviews is nice.

jtb0311
04-28-09, 03:34
I've had an ARMS rear sight on one of my rifles since 2004. I'd probably buy the Larue now, but the ARMS works well enough for me that I'm not going to spend money to replace it.

bates
04-28-09, 07:31
i wish i had the available funds right now, I would be running the KAC 600 & 300 meter sights w/ thier front sight on all my rigs.

I am expecting a set of magpul's mbus for my 22lr upper, i will see how i like it, for $90 it seemed like a bargain, i also like troy sights as others have metioned

gk2410
04-28-09, 07:46
Just wanted to add a vote for the Troy, and add that I really love the HK style front. For us old-timers, it's reminicent of using a peep sight on a rifle; very quick to pick up and lends to a natural sight alignment.

rob_s
04-28-09, 08:03
Just wanted to add a vote for the Troy, and add that I really love the HK style front. For us old-timers, it's reminicent of using a peep sight on a rifle; very quick to pick up and lends to a natural sight alignment.
except that, as stated, it can be a false alignment, and can in fact cause you to NOT align the proper aiming point, which is the top of the post.

since the post moves up and down between the ears the tip of the post may not be in the center of the circle when the rifle is zeroed, in which case when you center the front ring in the rear ring you're not actually aligning the sights.

this probably won't matter at close range BUIS-emergency distances but it can pretty drastically affect your POI at distance.

shadco
04-28-09, 09:00
I find it interesting that it seems none of the recommended rear flipdown buis have range settings like a std traditional rear sight. I was surprised that it was lacking on my troy rear when I received it.

Do you zero at 25 yards to start out or do you recommend zeroing at a greater distance?

Avenger29
04-28-09, 09:56
I find it interesting that it seems none of the recommended rear flipdown buis have range settings like a std traditional rear sight. I was surprised that it was lacking on my troy rear when I received it.

Do you zero at 25 yards to start out or do you recommend zeroing at a greater distance?

Alright, the thinking behind this is that your BUIS is just that, a BUIS, not a match sight. You don't need the range setting because you are not going to be dialing in elevation and hitting targets far away. It's going back to the A1 style of sights, where the only elevation adjustment is the front sight post and windage adjustment must be made with a tool, essentially, fixed sights. It worked fine for the A1 rifles, too.

Adding elevation is just one more thing to get bumped (on my carry handle with the elevation wheel, this frequently happens) or one more lever or component to break.

I can't explain the zeroing. That's certainly not my area of expertise.

RAM Engineer
04-28-09, 10:36
Daniel Defense BUIS. I like it better than my Larue.

Mark21
04-28-09, 10:47
Brownell's used to have a fixed back sight that was very similar to the LaRue for half the price. Have that one on two of my rifles, but I believe they stopped production. Now use the LaRue fixed sight so I can have it in the lower 1/3 of my Aimpoint at all times.