PDA

View Full Version : I am going to beat a dead horse

Recoil-felt
01-02-07, 11:43
But I need some help.
I just purchased a CMMG Mid MedCon 16" barrel, I am mating it to the VLTOR MUR-1A my wife bought me for Christmas (Get this she opened my gun build spreadsheet on my PC, went through my list of "parts I need", tracked down a seller, shopped for the best price and surprised me at Christmas! Her only sister is married by the way)
I need to know the minimum tools required to mount this barrel assembly.
The specs on the CMMG Barrel assembly are: CMMG 16 M10 Mid-Length MedCon Barrel (Flat Delta Ring, No Sling Loop and Rivet, Gas Tube and Roll Pin, A2 w/Washer, No Dura Coat, Standard "F" Marked Front Sight Base, Round Handguard Cap, No Handguard)
I have Calvary Arms C6 Mid-Length Hand Guards OD coming for it.
I am going to top it off with a SunDevil or Mega Lower, VLTOR Buffer tube(Already got it), CTR-M (OD)(already got it), TD Grip OD
A couple of questions: Do I need to head space the bolt & barrel? (what tools do I need?)
What kind of Buffer assembly would you recommend?
Can I legally use an M-16 BCU in my rifle?

Glockster35
01-02-07, 12:15
A couple of questions: Do I need to head space the bolt & barrel? (what tools do I need?)
What kind of Buffer assembly would you recommend?
Can I legally use an M-16 BCU in my rifle?

Recoil-Felt,

No matter what you may think, your wife is a keeper! I hope you went through half as much trouble for her Chrsitmas gifts! I would give you know what for a wife that did something like that for me.

I believe the correct answer to the headspace question is yes test it before firing, however; I have been told it is not necessary if you are using new parts (ie barrela and bolt). I think if you feel it necessary, then do it, otherwise shoot it.

For the Buffer, I would think a H2 or H3 buffer would work well. Use a CS spring if you have one.

Yes, you can use a M16 style BCG in your build.

Recoil-felt
01-02-07, 12:36
So what kind of tools do I need?

C4IGrant
01-02-07, 12:53
Tools, you need a receiver block and a barrel wrench (DPMS make a decent one). You of course need a vice as well.

Since you have a middy gas system, I would stick with an H buffer and ISMI CS buffer spring.

C4

Recoil-felt
01-02-07, 13:03
Where would you get the spring from?

Grant, do you need to Headspace the bolt/barrel before shooting?

who makes a good/cheap receiver block?

C4IGrant
01-02-07, 13:15
Where would you get the spring from?

Grant, do you need to Headspace the bolt/barrel before shooting?

who makes a good/cheap receiver block?

I hear this place has them: :D http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=RSPRING&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DISMI

I wouldn't worry about head spacing on a new weapon with a new bolt.

Here is the receiver block that I use: http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1675&cat=1450

If for some reason you don't want to buy everything, I can assemble it and test fire it for you.

C4

Recoil-felt
01-02-07, 13:25
That would be great, sending it to you would be awesome. How much would you charge to assemble, shoot it and return it? It would save me cringing for that 1st shot after I , the noob assembled my 1st AR-15.

How much would you sell me a MP Tested Bolt/Bolt Carrier for?
Actually, I need the Buffer and Buffer Spring as well.

C4IGrant
01-02-07, 14:37
That would be great, sending it to you would be awesome. How much would you charge to assemble, shoot it and return it? It would save me cringing for that 1st shot after I , the noob assembled my 1st AR-15.

How much would you sell me a MP Tested Bolt/Bolt Carrier for?
Actually, I need the Buffer and Buffer Spring as well.

Check your PM.

C4