PDA

View Full Version : How Many AR's?

seb5
04-27-09, 18:38
I was wondering, how many AR's are enough? I've seen polls about how many people have before but how many is enough to have the bases covered by what the AR series is capable of? What would you like to have as far as AR's to have what you consider enough. As some here know I am pretty ate up with them. I've got too many but just can't get myself to sale in this political unknowing situation.

I think that it's easy to just keep buying but I think I'm going to try to limit myself to, to, well something. For me I think the following might work.

A good quality 16" carbine with Aimpoint
A precision type set up possibly with an 18" or 20" tube and good scope.
A 14.5 with perm FH just because
A SBR

How would this work for you? Thoughts, opinions?

thopkins22
04-27-09, 18:42
For the last time, the answer is 27.

ZDL
04-27-09, 18:46
For the last time, the answer is 27.

Precisely.

/end_thread

Puffy93
04-27-09, 18:47
There's no such thing as too many AR's(or any gun's for that matter). I only have 1 (I'm only so 16 so can't afford many) but would prefer to have 20-30 more

Joe R.
04-27-09, 19:17
Gee, the only time I can think of that I might have too many guns is if I was swimming with them...;)

Kimbo
04-27-09, 19:21
To the good members of M4C, you can't have enough. For the Government, What AR? I don't have any of those evil black rifles :p

seb5
04-27-09, 19:25
Maybe I'm not as ate up as I thought because I think I have too many. Maybe I need to just throw that idea out an go buy another.:)

Kimbo
04-27-09, 19:28
Ideally I would like to have a Colt, Noveske, KAC, and LMT. That and I would love to get my hands on a Magpul Lower with Ambi bolt catch.

Avenger29
04-27-09, 19:33
Two is one, one is none. That's the rule I try to follow...I'd want two ARs as a minimum.

(Course, I've only got one right now, but that's a matter of finances...)

I think I will make a 20" barrel as my next purchase...

hossb7
04-28-09, 01:20
i currently have three:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/hossb7/AR15012.jpg

the top will mirror the bottom but with an aimpoint micro t1.

the middle will be an SBR-ish rifle - free float rail, 18" barrel, crane stock, 3-9 accupoint and a bipod.

for me, thats a perfect list. when i move out of this state i'll look into getting a 4th: 10.5" SBR :D

QuickStrike
04-28-09, 01:33
I like to have back-ups.

One for actual SHTF use
One for training and shooting the absolute crap out of
And another one in case the other two goes down

So 3 minimum, but preferably 10+ ... :D

Eric Shelton
04-28-09, 01:58
My plan was for 3, but it looks like I may wind up getting a CavArms lower I hadn't planned on.
1. My M4gery. First one I built, 14.5" permanent Vortex.
Still working on:
2. Fixed A2 stock, 20" stainless varminter, scoped.
3. Ultralight SBR. Maybe both 7.5" and 10.5" uppers. Goal is sub 6 lbs.

Don't know what to do with the CavArms- just want to buy one to support them, dumb as that may sound. But I'd say 3-4 is a good number, with a whole slew of uppers...

jtb0311
04-28-09, 03:22
I have three right now, and could see myself building a couple more.

I'm also into 1911s, so you know how it goes...

rob_s
04-28-09, 05:59
"need"? One.

The reality is that there is very little that a Colt 6920, Noveske N4 Recce, or LMT M4 can't do, and typically do better than the loose nut behind the trigger. A BCM upper on the lower of your choice would also work quite well.

A quality 16" barreled AR is good out past 100 yards in terms of proper projectile performance, and capable of 200 yards plus for paper or steel, and even better with the right ammo. Put a 2 MOA Aimpoint on it, a folding rear sight that you can keep locked in the "up" position when you want to, and a magnifier on a tilt/QD mount.

Things like SBRs, longer barrels, magnified optics... hell even rails, VFGs, etc. are nice to have but aren't strictly "necessary" for the majority of buyers. If you truly envision a defensive role for the carbine you need to get a white light and a sling on it.

What is FAR more important and valuable than having 5, 8, 12 more carbines that make incremental changes at best is TRAINING on how to use the thing.

I do agree with those above that have said the old "two is one, one is none" thing, and I also believe that it's not entirely necessary for the second one to be strictly identical to the primary. At that point, IMHO, adding in an SBR is a viable option. Keep the same stock and grip, put another Aimpoint on it (maybe a T-1 on this one) and use it not only as a backup but as the primary when the situation dictates.

With all of that said, "need" plays only a small part in the life of most AR owners. and there's nothing wrong with that. I have multiple ARs, some that I shoot a lot, some that I shoot a little. When I'm going to a class, or picking which carbine to keep in the bedroom safe, I stick with the proven examples which tend, at least right now, to also be the simplest.

Then there's issues with things like wanting a larger projectile for hunting, a smaller projectile for cheaper shooting, a different projectile for shooting indoors or for better suppression, all of which can create a "need" for another rifle. But the reality is that better quality loads for hunting, a reloading press for cheaper shooting, and frangible projectiles for use indoors would all work just as well, and in the same base 5.56 carbine, and maybe even cheaper than buying a whole new gun.

I've found that the key for me is knowing the difference between "need" and "want", compartmentalizing the two (at least in my own head) and trying to stick to buying rifles, parts and equipment for a specific purpose or use rather than just buying willy-nilly.

"need"? This is all that I really "need".

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/BCM/BCMwithpoboy.jpg

CobraBG
04-28-09, 06:57
I have two and they are both very different. A Les Baer Super Varmint .223 heavy barrel, bipod with a Leupold 4X14 scope. It is very accurate. The other is a Colt LE 6920 which is very KISS at this time and will probably stay that way, though I want to add an Aimpoint or Eotech (can't decide and can't afford anyway). I really like the 6920 and in a perfect world (where I could afford to buy what I want) I would have a second 6920.:cool:

Sure it would be great to have a bunch of AR's but I think what I have with a second 6920 would be perfect.

gk2410
04-28-09, 07:39
I have six - four Colt's (2 SP-1's, a 6920, and a 6921), a Noveske Mid-length and a Noveske SBR - but I have a different goal. I recall what it was like after the first AWB and have some behind-the-scenes experience with politicians trying to come up with various firearms related legislation. My purchases are to ensure that my sons and grandsons will be able to own a "black rifle". All my life I've bought "extras" for the future and began giving them to my boys over the past few years. Firearms are part of our heritiage and I want them to be a part of my own legacy.

E53001
04-28-09, 14:34
This is like asking an avid fisherman/ tournament fisherman how many poles is enough, great answer, never have enough, back up for back ups man :D

ST911
04-28-09, 14:41
I have more than I need, but fewer than I want.

Over the years, I seem to acquire more uppers than complete guns. My lowers vary little, but the uppers are various combos of barrels, rails, etc, all for different purposes.

I'm not quite sure what to do with all the stripped lowers on hand, but there are still more uppers I'd like...

LMTRocks
04-28-09, 15:11
What is this "Enough" of which you speak?

My AR plans include:
Putting a nice magnified eotech on my LMT. $700ish because I have a PT job at a gun store.

Building a 6.8mm supressed SBR---currently waiting on the $$$$ to order a LMT CQB MRP upper in 12.5" for a great HD weapon.

Getting a 6.8mm 20" upper.

5.45x39 upper---ubercheap to shoot that will still take game.

.22LR conversion kit---$200 to get 1/4 the cost of ammo.

After that, not sure. Perhaps a few .357sig handguns, or maybe a .357sig AR :)

The_War_Wagon
04-28-09, 15:33
I like the 3 idea. Got 2, unless you're Big Brother. Darn boating accident got them both... and any other firearms I had, too... :cool: