PDA

View Full Version : Best handgun; Part II

04-27-09, 19:33
Thanks for all the info., informed opinions, and help. Here is what I have taken from the discussion so far. H&K-great gun as long as it is an H&K Tac .45(among others) and not the too large Mark 23, Glock-can't go wrong with a Glock, Sig-excellent gun, M&P-maybe too early to put into the H&K, Glock, Sig, 1911, category; doesn't mean not deserving, just too early, 1911-one from a reputable and proven manufacturer is a great gun. Are there no FN fans out there? FN supplies 70% of our military weapons(small arms, med. heavy, and heavy). Sorry any non-believers out there(possibly a liberal, maybe not) our armed forces, (and the citizen-soldiers who make them up) are the BEST! They wouldn't rely so heavily upon a company that produced crappy weapons. I digress. An interesting item I just read on another site had an opinion piece by Larry Vickers. From what I have read, Mr. Vickers is a decorated ex-Spec. Ops guy. Therefore, I would lean towards giving his opinion a lot of weight. He also is involved in the design and production of many aftermarket items for the M4 carbine and, these items are highly thought of. So, basically, Mr. Vickers said H&K makes an excellent, highly reliable, more accurate than many other handguns, handgun. Once again, I admit to being a nOObie, I am just trying to digest as much info as I can and make an informed decision on a handgun that is best suited to many different scenarios. I was in NOLA for Katrina and can see the need for a supremely reliable and accurate handgun. The unthinkable can actually happen. That being said I am not neglecting the training and practice issue. I plan on taking Blackwater classes to ge me up to speed and then to continue to take classes and regularly shoot. Any help, info, constructive criticism, apprecitated. Ya'll are great.

DRich
04-27-09, 21:48
Dude...seriously...paragraphs.

And yes, FN produces many of the small arms used by the US military. You'll notice they produce none of the handguns used by the US military.

gpo1956
04-27-09, 21:50
You are now on the right track. Research Larry Vickers and others who have PROVEN and DOCUMENTED histories and use them to help with your decision. Look for comparisons of actual strengths and weaknesses of the haqndguns you're interested in and not just blanket subjective opinions. The vast array of handguns available today are by far the best that have ever been available. Many are excellant, many are very good and some are fair or worse. But, no one is clearly superior to everything else out there. Just try and keep emotions out of it, do your own research and select the gun that is right for you.

mattjmcd
04-27-09, 21:57
don't neglect ergos and pointability etc.

SHIVAN
04-27-09, 22:03
TL; DR. :cool:

ZDL
04-27-09, 22:06
1. Paragraphs. For the love of God, paragraphs.

2. You sound like you want an HK. Buy an HK. They are great.

3. Really though. Buy a g17 or 19 and call it a day.

larry0071
04-27-09, 22:07
Standard issue US issued side arm is the Beretta M9 (Pretty much identicle to civilian Beretta 92F)

It must be decent if the entire military carries one.

http://www.modelguns.co.uk/images/M9f.jpg

Mr.Goodtimes
04-27-09, 22:50
Standard issue US issued side arm is the Beretta M9 (Pretty much identicle to civilian Beretta 92F)

It must be decent if the entire military carries one.

http://www.modelguns.co.uk/images/M9f.jpg

i love my 92fs... wouldnt trade it for anything else.