PDA

View Full Version : S&W Variants

DOZER281
04-27-09, 22:45
I am looking to purchase my first AR and have pretty much decided on a S&W M&P 15. I have been on this forum for a few weeks trying to read a little of what everyone has to say about their AR’s and from what I have read the M&P 15 seems to be a good choice, not perfect but a sound piece of hardware nonetheless. The only thing I have not been able to get a good grasp on is all the different models of M&P 15’s that there are. When I say all the models, I am referring to the the M&P 15 MOE, the VTAC, the FT, etc. I assume the MOE referred to the optional hand grip, Polymer Magazine, and sights. I am not sure on the differences on the VTAC, FT, and any others that I am missing. Also, I have seen several of them with numbers i.e. 811004, etc.

I am not looking for top-of-the-line because I would rather have the option to add the attachments of my choosing, I just need a good base to build on.

I have looked on this site for a thread that may be able to answer my questions however I have been unable to locate any such thread, sorry if this is listed elsewhere. Any insight you M&P 15 owners (or anyone else for that matter) may have would be greatly appreciated.

SwatDawg15
04-28-09, 03:09
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&categoryId=33803&top=Y

Your Welcome, and good choice. Now get to reading the stickys on this site. There is a lot to learn.

high888
04-28-09, 03:29
I went with the basic M&P15 with the detachable carry handle. I have since removed the handle and put on a Leupold scope. Also removed the forward
hand guards and replaced with the larger M4 oval style. I use it at the range at
200 yards, and it is very consistent, with no misfeeds or ejection jams. All of my
mags have Magpul followers which seem to be the best going.

normal
04-28-09, 06:36
The basic model is the M&P15A. That is what I went with and then put the accessories on it that I wanted. If you want to customize, that is probably your best bet.

austinN4
04-28-09, 07:08
The basic model is the M&P15A.
No it isn't. The basic model is designated simply M&P15 and comes with the carry handle, which incorporates the rear sight. The M&P15A does not come with the carry handle, but rather it comes with an excellent Troy rear BUIS. But I agree that the 15A is a good choice for an entey level AR. See all of the M&P 15 variants at the link posted above by SwatDog15.

DOZER281
04-28-09, 10:42
thanks for the link! I dont know why i did not think of the s7w website. Do any of you recomment any sites that may have reasonable prices? I have been looking on gunbroker.com and they seem to have some decent prices, this seems to be one of the better sites as they actually have them in stock.

austinN4
04-28-09, 11:17
Do any of you recomment any sites that may have reasonable prices? I have been looking on gunbroker.com and they seem to have some decent prices, this seems to be one of the better sites as they actually have them in stock.
Grant, the owner of this forum, is an S&W dealer - G&R Tactical: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home

He is hard to reach by phone, but email usually works.

You do understand that Gun Broker is an auction site, don't you? I am not bashing it, but your seller there probably doesn't go over the guns and make them right before they leave the shop the way Grant does.

Wes1977
04-28-09, 12:13
I've got the X and if I had to do over again I would go with the T for the option to fold down both front and rear sights.

SwatDawg15
04-28-09, 13:10
I have converted My M&P15, and M&P15X, to a setup similer to the "T" Model. I shaved the FSB on the basic model and installed a 10" Troy FF Rail, and a set of Troy BUIS's. The X model was done the same, except I used a lo profile gas block, instead of shaving the FSB.

Here is the basic model after conversion...
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/swatdawg15/Guns/new006.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/swatdawg15/Guns/new008.jpg

Here is the X model during conversion..
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/swatdawg15/Guns/Picture021.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/swatdawg15/Guns/Picture022.jpg

austinN4
04-28-09, 13:54
I have converted My M&P15, and M&P15X, to a setup similer to the "T" Model. I shaved the FSB on the basic model and installed a 10" Troy FF Rail, and a set of Troy BUIS's. The X model was done the same, except I used a lo profile gas block, instead of shaving the FSB.
Probably less $ just to buy a T, no?

kittyhawk
04-28-09, 17:16
I love my M&P 15T for the price It's a Great Buy. The only thing I wish it had was a 1/7 twist barrel.
Other than that I would do it over.

Dave

rjacobs
04-28-09, 17:26
I have an A I just picked up two weeks ago and an X that is on order. The X was only like 15 bucks more than the A so I figured why not get the quad rail fore end.

SiGfever
04-28-09, 17:53
I too have the "X" and it is a great rifle. The only complaint is that the BCG was not properly staked so I sent it off today to gotm4 so it could be done right.

DOZER281
04-28-09, 18:36
Grant, the owner of this forum, is an S&W dealer - G&R Tactical: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home

He is hard to reach by phone, but email usually works.

You do understand that Gun Broker is an auction site, don't you? I am not bashing it, but your seller there probably doesn't go over the guns and make them right before they leave the shop the way Grant does.

yes, i do understand that it is an auction site but it is one of the only sites i have come by that has these. Seems like i picked the wrong time to buy as the demand has gone up considerably due to the new administration in office. Is there usuall problems with these to the point where i would have to worry about purchasing from someone who has not properly looked it over before shipping? I was planning on purchasing a new one, not pre-owned.

CryingWolf
04-28-09, 20:24
No it isn't. The basic model is designated simply M&P15 and comes with the carry handle, which incorporates the rear sight. The M&P15A does not come with the carry handle, but rather it comes with an excellent Troy rear BUIS. But I agree that the 15A is a good choice for an entey level AR. See all of the M&P 15 variants at the link posted above by SwatDog15.

I got the M&P15A. Added Magpul hand guard as my first mod. :D

novtec1
04-28-09, 20:44
i got a M&P 15 i love it...

SwatDawg15
04-29-09, 04:24
Probably less $ just to buy a T, no?

Yes it would be less to buy a T model. Those two guns were obtained by trading, buddy deals, ect.. so it didnt hit me for a big lick like buying a new one then $500 worth of Troy kit.

There is not that much factory kit left after I get done with them anyway...

The_War_Wagon
04-29-09, 07:32
I bought a lightly used M&P15T recently, from my old college wingman, who swung me a MUCH better deal than I'd ever get on Gunbroker these days (I paid the same for it as he paid for it NEW 18 mos. ago, plus, he threw in a case [he had to, to ship it to my FFL :p], a Magpul MIAD enhanced grip, a TangoDown foregrip, AND a Beta C-Mag!). Private deals with friends are sometimes better in that regards.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/100_4558.jpg

Happy hunting in any regards - you should have fun outfitting it, once you have it. I just got a Pentagon light and rail mount for mine, with more mags on the way. I order a sling and mount for it tomorrow, and an EOTech probably next month, and then she'll be GTG! :D

sullafelix
04-29-09, 18:49
I got a M&P 15A last week for $1037 delivered from Bud's Guns online. I had purchased a Daly DM4 from them a year or so ago. Both great rifles and Buds had very quick shipping.

austinN4
04-29-09, 20:39
I got a M&P 15A last week for $1037 delivered from Bud's Guns online. I had purchased a Daly DM4 from them a year or so ago. Both great rifles and Buds had very quick shipping.
Exactly 1 year ago yesterday I bought a 15A for $875 locally, then got a rebate, which basically paid for the sales tax. In the whole scheme of things, that isn't too bad of a post election price increase - $875 to $1,037 = $162 or 18.5%.

DOZER281
04-29-09, 22:39
Thanks all for the input. I decided on the M&P 15x, now i just have to find one for a decent price.

DOZER281
05-03-09, 18:07
Well, i could not find an M&P 15X for a decent price so i ordered a 15A for $999. The least expensive 15X i could find in stock was 1450. I guess that is a good thing since i can do a lot with the 450 bucks i saved.

Thanks again for everyones input!

rjacobs
05-03-09, 23:13
Well, i could not find an M&P 15X for a decent price so i ordered a 15A for $999. The least expensive 15X i could find in stock was 1450. I guess that is a good thing since i can do a lot with the 450 bucks i saved.

Thanks again for everyones input!

I would say 999 for an MP15A is a good price at a regular gun shop. I got mine at a local LEO shop, that is why I got a good price. I would not have gotten an X except for the fact is was only 10 bucks more. For the price difference between the A and the X you found you can get a nice rail system, a light, and a cheaper optic or you could get almost get into an Aimpoint.

bcbrown2
05-04-09, 01:37
Thanks all for the input. I decided on the M&P 15x, now i just have to find one for a decent price.

Good luck finding it -- I just picked up an M&P15OR in March for $945 and immediately started the process of updating the furniture on it to Magpul hardware (CTR stock, MOE handguard, MIAD grip) after installing a set of GG&G iron sights. The OR was the last Smith & Wesson rifle on the wall and I'm glad we bought it when we had the chance. It was a great shooter out of the box and is only getting better. When funds become available, we'll add an EOTech to an already great rifle.

crazynova
05-04-09, 02:43
I went with the MOE version, since I figured I would have ended up putting all of the Magpul furnitute on the rifle down the road anyways, might as well buy it with it already there.

bcbrown2
05-04-09, 02:51
I went with the MOE version, since I figured I would have ended up putting all of the Magpul furnitute on the rifle down the road anyways, might as well buy it with it already there.

I likely would have done the same thing had it been available when we bought our rifle -- I just handled the MOE version over the weekend and was very impressed. Adding the CTR finished it's journey to the "dark side" after the MOE handguards convinced me these guys know their game. Our local SBG store only had the CTR stocks in stock (darn, ;)) but I was impressed with the fit and finish on the MOE gun and quite surprised to see it pop up S&W's website right around the same time I took mine home.

Getting to go hands-on with that MBUS almost makes me wish I hadn't run head-first into the GG&G irons but such is life, right? At least I can shoot while the MBUS are being built and shipped as fast as possible.

Living just up the road from Magpul makes their gear that much more fun -- supporting the locals and all.