PDA

View Full Version : A neighbor's new AR...

CobraBG
04-28-09, 07:23
I ran into one of my neighbor's at the store recently and the conversation turned to guns. I know he has an older AK that he is proud of and a couple of handguns. I asked... "have you bought anything new lately?" He proudly said yeah, I just ordered an AR. I asked him what kind he ordered and he looked confused and said... you know, an AR. I clarified my question and asked what brand of AR, who makes it? He wasn't sure but said he paid $2100 for it and should have it in about 6 weeks. I asked him if it was a Colt and he said yeah it was a Colt.

I don't think he knows what he ordered and was amazed at his lack of knowledge. After all he spent $2100 on something. People like this really do amaze me and I'm sure there are quite a few others like him out there.:rolleyes:

mmike87
04-28-09, 07:29
It doesn't sound like he did any homework on his purchase. However, not everyone is willing to learn about the things they own and use in depth. They just want to own something and perhaps use it from time to time.

After all, there are people that never could program their VCR. Hence, DVR that records things for you and without your permission since the VCR people were apparently hopeless. :)

CaptainDooley
04-28-09, 07:31
Wow... that's just poor handling of your finances. I don't care if you're swimming in money - no one should just drop 2K and have no idea what they actually bought. That's simply baffling...

CobraBG
04-28-09, 07:39
The guy owns his own business and can probably afford it, but I'm sure he is not swimming in money. I agree... it's simply baffling.

A-Bear680
04-28-09, 11:27
It's possible that he was in the military for while and developed a favorable impression of the Colts back in the old a1 days. I assimulated what seemed to be the standard wisdom -- that Colt mag's worked better than some other brands and Colts were less likely to throw brass in a leftie's face.
Seemed to be true.
And I can't remember the other brands ( for sure) from back then either.
Maybe TRW and/or GMC Hydromatic.
I handled some ROK made M16a1's that might (maybe ) have been made by Daewoo. That they were made in the ROK was clear in the context of that time & place.

AMMOTECH
04-28-09, 12:04
I've got a plain jane Bushy I could have sold him for a couple hundred less...:D

Where are these people when I want to sell something?

R Moran
04-28-09, 17:50
It's possible that he was in the military for while and developed a favorable impression of the Colts back in the old a1 days. I assimulated what seemed to be the standard wisdom -- that Colt mag's worked better than some other brands and Colts were less likely to throw brass in a leftie's face.
Seemed to be true.
And I can't remember the other brands ( for sure) from back then either.
Maybe TRW and/or GMC Hydromatic.
I handled some ROK made M16a1's that might (maybe ) have been made by Daewoo. That they were made in the ROK was clear in the context of that time & place.

GM Hydra-matic, and Harrigton & Richardson.

Bob

FiveStar
04-28-09, 18:47
Ha ha ha... "yeah an AR"

Avenger29
04-28-09, 19:02
Reminds me of a good friend of mine. He had a DPMS that was a POS. Sold it. That was three years ago, and he hadn't really acquired anything before the election.

I find out after the election that he brought a CMMG AR-15, 2 Romanian WASRs, and a Yugo. Paid way too much for the AR and the Yugo. $2200 for the CMMG AR-15 (that had a UTG rail and a fake Eotech), like $500 each for the WASRs, and $800 for the underfolder Yugo. Plus several of those 40 rd Cproducts mags and several Tapco AK mags.

I didn't have the heart to tell him, but did let him shoot my LMT that I brought for $1100 back in the summer of '08. I wished he had called me before he went to the gunshows and made the purchases, I would have set him straight.

Some people just don't know, and some people really don't care how much it is so long as they can get it.

Abraxas
04-28-09, 19:10
Reminds me of a good friend of mine. He had a DPMS that was a POS. Sold it. That was three years ago, and he hadn't really acquired anything before the election.

I find out after the election that he brought a CMMG AR-15, 2 Romanian WASRs, and a Yugo. Paid way too much for the AR and the Yugo. $2200 for the CMMG AR-15 (that had a UTG rail and a fake Eotech), like $500 each for the WASRs, and $800 for the underfolder Yugo. Plus several of those 40 rd Cproducts mags and several Tapco AK mags.

I didn't have the heart to tell him, but did let him shoot my LMT that I brought for $1100 back in the summer of '08. I wished he had called me before he went to the gunshows and made the purchases, I would have set him straight.

Some people just don't know, and some people really don't care how much it is so long as they can get it.
Can I have his number, I have some things to sell;). In all seriousness though, that is why some of the products in any category are out there and not immediately out of business for a lousy product.

CobraBG
04-28-09, 19:21
Well I know this guy was never in the military. I think he is just one of those people who wants to be able to say "Yeah, I've got an AR". More money than sense...:rolleyes:

A-Bear680
04-28-09, 19:24
GM Hydra-matic, and Harrigton & Richardson.

Bob

Thanks for the tip-off.

Could be , both names ring a bell--but it's been a very long time.

Glen
;)

04-28-09, 19:29
I ran into one of my neighbor's at the store recently and the conversation turned to guns. I know he has an older AK that he is proud of and a couple of handguns. I asked... "have you bought anything new lately?" He proudly said yeah, I just ordered an AR. I asked him what kind he ordered and he looked confused and said... you know, an AR. I clarified my question and asked what brand of AR, who makes it? He wasn't sure but said he paid $2100 for it and should have it in about 6 weeks. I asked him if it was a Colt and he said yeah it was a Colt.

I don't think he knows what he ordered and was amazed at his lack of knowledge. After all he spent $2100 on something. People like this really do amaze me and I'm sure there are quite a few others like him out there.:rolleyes:
I'm amazed that you were actually amazed. Like you said, there are others out there like him. So, why the amazement? Is it because you actually know someone like it?:D

Ridge_Runner_5
04-28-09, 19:52
I paid $3k for a car recently....

Saginaw79
04-28-09, 20:28
A bunch of shops here have made a raping on ignorant buyers, used Bushmasters were selling for 1200 etc;

CobraBG
04-28-09, 21:55
I'm amazed that you were actually amazed. Like you said, there are others out there like him. So, why the amazement? Is it because you actually know someone like it?:D

That's a great question. I guess it's because I always try to make intelligent purchases and I never thought that when it came to firearms this person would be any different. Maybe surprised would be a better word than amazed. :D

larry0071
04-28-09, 22:08
Here is my history of AR's.

I never owned or really saw one prior to the salesman of the year stepping into office.

My first was an impulse. I went with a fireman pal down to pick up his new Glock he ordered with his Homeland security discount.

While there, he started talking about the LMT he recently purchased. As he talked, conversation went to what was on the wall... about an hour later I walk out with a $1399 Charles Daly Defense D-M4 (Retails $999 I think).

I loved it.

Couple weeks later I find a brand new Stag 1L for $845, at that price... who could pass it up? I took it home.

A month or so later I find a Bushmaster Carbon 15 with a C-More Tactical on it and talk the shop down to $625 on it. Bang, it's mine.... or my wife's... whatever.

Since then I grabbed 3 more CDD lowers, 3 DPMS LPK's, and 3 DPMS BCG's. Some day I will buy 3 uppers of various designs.

I wish to have a long one... 20-22". I wish to have a SBR.....10.5-12.5", and I wish to have one more standard 16" M4 config for my youngest boy who is currently 3 yrs old. I have time to get his all built. A lot of time.

I got the shaft on the first one I got... kind of. I had the cash, I wanted it, and I knew they were getting harder to find each day. My pal had been going BLAH-BLAH-BLAH about these AR's for months, so I heard all the horror stories he was always talking about.... ban's, democrats, lions and tigers and bears...OH MY! So when I had the CDD in hand.... what the heck, I had the money... I had the rifle. I feel only a smidgen bad over the price I paid, I could never sale it for $1400 used or even anywhere close to that. But, I don't really plan to ever sale them any ways. They are family keepsakes.... the equal to a japaneas family with a 200 yr old family sword crafted by a great-great-great-great grandfather. One day, my boys will be shooting these antique rifles and think of the day Dad gave them the rifles... and the fun we had shooting the $5.00 a round 5.56 ammo out on the farm! These will look like the good old days to my boys.... simpler times.

CobraBG
04-28-09, 22:49
Great history story. :) I also hope to someday give my 2 AR's to my son and daughter and I would like to get a couple more.

However, your $5.00 a round for 5.56 scares me...:eek:

skyugo
04-28-09, 23:09

it always hurts to see guys with money to burn blow it on the wrong stuff.
i'm not jealous you can afford stuff man, just let me help you!

The_War_Wagon
04-28-09, 23:54
Welcome to the GREAT OBAMA PANIC BUYS of AUGHT-NINE! :rolleyes: There's a REASON he's the 'Gun Salesman of the Year' - people buy it, with no CLUE what they're buying... but they're buying it anyways! It's a seller's market, to be sure...

A-Bear680
04-29-09, 11:44
That's a great question. I guess it's because I always try to make intelligent purchases and I never thought that when it came to firearms this person would be any different. Maybe surprised would be a better word than amazed. :D

What's wrong with what he bought?

R Moran
04-29-09, 11:54
Thanks for the tip-off.

Could be , both names ring a bell--but it's been a very long time.

Glen
;)

General Motors/Hydra-matic division, and Harrington & Richardson, are the two manufacturers in addition to Colt, that produced them during the Vietnam War.

Bob

CobraBG
04-29-09, 12:43
What's wrong with what he bought?

What I thought was wrong was that he wasn't sure what he bought, but it was "an AR" and that he spent that much money ($2100) on it with out knowing any details. If he indeed did buy a Colt he will get a good gun and he payed more than he needed to. I have my doubts that he actually bought a Colt. I could have named any manufacturer and he probably would have said yeah. He just didn't know anything about what he spent the money on except that it was "an AR". That's what surprised me. :rolleyes:

Solomon
04-29-09, 12:45
Yes, he overpaid, but here is my counter-argument:

Every new EBR buyer contributes numbers in our favor with respect to the Heller decision's language protecting weapons "in common use at the time." That new EBR buyer, along with everyone in his sphere of influence, will be instrumental in arguing against the next attempt at AWB legislation.

Just a thought.

Alex F
04-29-09, 13:25
Well, at least he didn't pay 2k for a used Olympic Arms...

A-Bear680
04-29-09, 14:25
Bing-F' ing--Go:

Every new EBR buyer contributes numbers in our favor with respect to the Heller decision's language protecting weapons "in common use at the time." That new EBR buyer, along with everyone in his sphere of influence, will be instrumental in arguing against the next attempt at AWB legislation.

Just a thought.

:)

CobraBG
04-29-09, 17:13

Just a thought.

You make a good point... I didn't think of it that way. Well said.

Please understand I was not dissapointed that he bought "an AR" just surprised that he didn't seem to know what he bought. I'm glad that he bought one and I'm sure I will get to shoot it. :D As you pointed out... the more the merrier! I wish more of my friends would get one. Unfortunately some (not all just some) of them are democrats and that's another story.:rolleyes:

Veracity
04-30-09, 01:05

Just a thought.

Yup. I just convinced a close friend to buy two new Colts in the last two months. He was shooting Minis till now!