PDA

View Full Version : Considering selling my Colt SP1....advice wanted

adh
04-28-09, 10:01
I've held on to this for a number of years and it rarely gets used. This is a 100% Colt SP1 with A1 furniture and 20" barrel with A1 FH. Has a slab sided upper and lower. Asking because I am not sure of the value of this piece is. But, if I do sell I know that it's age will factor and as I'm at work I can't tell you what the serial # range is for that at this time.

Why am I considering this? Well I have other ARs and my interest are not really in the retro arena. I have a Recce type 16", an SBR, and a Kiss carbine that all get picked up before the SP1. There is some minor sentimentality tied to this weapon, but like I said it's minor. I was thinking that as I currently have a NDS A1 lower, if I want a retro A1 type AR I could easily build one by picking up one of the number of M16A1 uppers that are seen up for sale on TOS quite often, and I'd still have a good amount of $$$ left over to allow me to complete at least one other AR project (an SPRish/competition type AR I have conceptualized in my head). Any guideance on where I could find out how much my SP1 is worth would be greatly appreciated. Because of the little bit of sentiment tied to it, it's really only worth it to me if I get enough $$$ out of it. Because of all the fear surrounding the possibility of another ban I think that this may be the best time to sell (if ever).

Thanks

ADH

RyanS
04-28-09, 11:10
Don't do it.

aalmcc4
04-28-09, 12:16
Listen carefully.

Do not sell it. You will regret it.

adh
05-04-09, 19:55
OK......I wont do it, MAYBE.......If I were to do so, any guidance on the value of this?

ETA:
Just checked the serial # and from biggerhammer.net it appears to be a 1978 model
1978 - SP360200 and Below

Ziptie
05-04-09, 20:55
I was a stupid kid when I sold my old off the books SP1, I never imagined that regret could come at so cheap a price, despite the healthy sum I got for it.

Ziptie

citizensoldier16
05-04-09, 22:46
Man, hold on to that relic. It may be worth some fast cash now, but in years to come, it'll be worth more. Just think...how many original numbers-matching 1958 Corvettes are there left? The SP-1 is a classic, and if you've got one...put it away in the back of your safe.

PALADIN-hgwt
05-05-09, 16:33
xxxxx

adh
05-05-09, 17:43
That serial number is way too high for a 1978 SP1. Not sure about the Biggerhammer chart, but the database at TOS is fairly definitive and provides details such as the upper markings.

Paladin

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=304266

Thanks for the heads up....mine is SP119XXX so from the chart on TOS, I guess it's a 1980

Given the chance, I think I'd still trade it for one of these in a heartbeat..............................