PDA

View Full Version : Source for gas rings

buggsb
04-28-09, 12:55
Does anybody know the original equipment manufacturer for the bolt gas rings used by Colt?

While they manufacture many of their parts, I would suspect that something like a gas ring is outsourced to a common supplier who specializes in the manufacture of this type of product.

I know I can go to Brownells and buy these neatly packaged in a set of 3 for only $6.73, however I am responsible to maintain a bunch of rifles on a regular basis and would be better suited by purchasing these in bulk, if I could, from the original manufacturer.

I just thought that someone here might have insights into sourcing for these.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Iraqgunz
04-28-09, 13:34
Have you considered McFarland rings? I was able to get them in quantity for about $2.97 a piece. Do you work for a dept. or something? If so, you can register with Brownells and get a fairly significant savings. The gas rings listed on their site from High Standard are $2.53 at the discounted price.

buggsb
04-28-09, 13:46
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not really interested in anything but true Mil-Spec parts, that is why I'd like to find out who is manufacturing for Colt. I'm sure there are other parts out there cheaper, but I need someone who is being held in strict compliance with all the Mil-spec quality provisions.

I'm also aware of the Brownell's industry discount, thanks, but I'd still like to find a way to bulk purchase.

Iraqgunz
04-28-09, 13:58
No worries. I use the McFarlands on our carbines here in Iraq and they have yet to have issues. I believe that about 180 of them have been put in place.

I looked up the Cage Code and it only gives Rock Island Arsenal as the company. Have you tried contacting Colt? There is also a company called TTI International who makes parts for the USG some of them are M16 parts.

Let me just add that gas rings are pretty much gas rings and I have never seen them fail per se, just wear out. As long as the user and armorer do a gas ring check (which I highly encourage) it shouldn't be an issue. At least in my experience.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not really interested in anything but true Mil-Spec parts, that is why I'd like to find out who is manufacturing for Colt. I'm sure there are other parts out there cheaper, but I need someone who is being held in strict compliance with all the Mil-spec quality provisions.

I'm also aware of the Brownell's industry discount, thanks, but I'd still like to find a way to bulk purchase.

E53001
04-28-09, 14:32
http://www.specializedarmament.com/pages/training.html

buggsb
04-29-09, 15:35
Iraqguns,

Thanks for the excellent info. I will probably try a set of the McFarlands on a personal, non duty gun to see how they run.

I'll follow-up with the RIA lead also.

I found that LMT has about what I am looking for in that they have pricing at $0.50 for a set of 3 rings, as long as you buy 200 sets. While 200 sets should last me pretty much forever, I may see if I can get one of my fellow armorers at another department to split them with me.

Thanks again!

buggsb
04-29-09, 15:44
http://www.specializedarmament.com/pages/training.html

Thanks....at $3.00/set, that's a good price for genuine Colt parts.

Blankwaffe
04-29-09, 16:31
I took Iraqgunz and Grants advice and went to using the McFarland rings last summer.Absolutely no issues Ive seen.They are certainly much easier to install.
Otherwise I would take a look at LMT's gas rings if you need them in bulk.