PDA

View Full Version : problem with sticky buffer

richl025
04-28-09, 14:11
Hope someone here can confirm my gut impression -

I have a newly built AR that I've just finished putting about the first 200 rounds through. I had a bunch of problems with gas - I eventually gave up on a JP adjustable gas block & put on a non-adj block, and by finagling it around I found a placement on the barrel where the BCG will finally lock back on an empty magazine with all except Wolf ammo...

I have another... intersting... problem though that _might_ be related to still being undergassed... or not.

Very irregularly, maybe one out of 10 or 20 rounds, when the bolt cycles to the rear, it will get 'stuck' - sometimes just for a fraction of a second, sometimes long enough for me to look around the weapon & see the BCG go back into battery, and once or twice it got full-on stuck back in the buffer tube, and a light rap on the stock sent it back into battery.

The lower is made by Essential Arms... when I look down the stock with the lower dismounted from the upper, I can appreciate that the buffer tube is ever so slightly canted a few degrees to the side - as if the threading for the buffer tube cut into the lower receiver was just the slightest bit out of true.

As I said, this happens pretty irregularly, but I _think_ it happens a little more frequently with cheapo underpowered Wolf 62 gr ammo, but it _has_ happened with other cartridges also (including winchester, remington etc).

I cannot replicate the "sticking" with the charging handle alone.

Visual inspection of the inside of the buffer tube does not reveal any gouge marks or anything like that.

So what do you guys think? Is this still another "undergassed" symptom? (Although BCG reliably locks back to the rear after last round now) - Or is this an example of the lower receiver being just slightly out of spec?

I'm getting another lower in a few days for a different project so I can mount everything on it, and hopefully get a better idea of the issue - but I'm welcome to any opinions...