PDA

View Full Version : Long term problems with 22 conversions? Wear?

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-28-09, 22:09
Hey guys,

I am enjoying the heck out of my Ceiner kit. I run it in my Colt upper and it runs great. I do worry that I am going to wear out the upper on my gun. Long term, do these 22 kits put a lot of hard wear on these guns?

CryingWolf
04-28-09, 22:29
I would say they don't. Other than cleaning I fire a few rounds of .223 after running this kit during a range session. I feel this cleans out the gas system from the 22LR ammo. I would say the 22LR puts very little stress on the rest of the AR platform. Regular rounds are going to give you a lot more wear. Also for what it is worth but a 22LR bullet is .223 and the .223 bullet is .224. Don't know if that makes much of a difference but I would say it isn't going to wear you barrel as fast. I don't think I ever seen a worn out 22LR.

Spikes-Rep
04-28-09, 22:32
These is alot of stress at the hammer pin and hammer pin hole. I run KNS pins in mine. Also if you run it without a buffer and spring it will start wearing the lower receiver directly above the buffer tube.

Stan_TheGunNut
07-04-09, 21:53
These is alot of stress at the hammer pin and hammer pin hole. I run KNS pins in mine. Also if you run it without a buffer and spring it will start wearing the lower receiver directly above the buffer tube.

It seems odd that the lowly 22 would put enough stress on the hammer pin and hole to cause issues when a 223 doesn't. Can you explain why this is? Also, have you noted any wear on the lower receiver if you do run the rifle with a buffer and spring in it?

Thanks.

khc3
07-05-09, 12:35
It seems odd that the lowly 22 would put enough stress on the hammer pin and hole to cause issues when a 223 doesn't. Can you explain why this is? Also, have you noted any wear on the lower receiver if you do run the rifle with a buffer and spring in it?

Thanks.

Probably similar to pistol caliber uppers, where the cocking angle on the bolt is too abrupt, and the bolt hits lower down on the hammer.

CryingWolf
07-08-09, 10:03

Thanks.

I have noted no extra wear on my lower receiver. I do run my kit with the spring and buffer.

Slugger
07-09-09, 22:52
I've run into a spot where my kit put a strange wear pattern in my upper but I don't think it's anything serious. As far as barrel ware . . . I see no worries at all.
Slugger

Stan_TheGunNut
07-10-09, 21:51
I have noted no extra wear on my lower receiver. I do run my kit with the spring and buffer.

Probably similar to pistol caliber uppers, where the cocking angle on the bolt is too abrupt, and the bolt hits lower down on the hammer.

Thanks for the info. I have a new Spikes 22 upper that I'm running on my SBR, which is strictly a range toy. While I won't baby it, I do want to take reasonable care of it. I've only shot it on two occassions so far and kept the buffer in the lower both times. It looks like I'll keep on doing this.

CryingWolf
07-16-09, 14:22
Thanks for the info. I have a new Spikes 22 upper that I'm running on my SBR, which is strictly a range toy. While I won't baby it, I do want to take reasonable care of it. I've only shot it on two occassions so far and kept the buffer in the lower both times. It looks like I'll keep on doing this.

No need to baby it at all. I get in to trouble at my range, while doing 25 round mag dumps. "Can you keep it down to at least a second between each shot" :D

Shooting 22LR out of a AR style rifle is just plain fun.:D I think it would be fun doing some games / drills out of this setup, cheap too.

Alaskapopo
07-27-09, 06:10
I broke a hammer pin on dedicated 22 AR.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/DPMSlowerpartskitfairluer.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/halfahammerpin.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/othersideofgun.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20rifles/Greenlean22.jpg

motoman
08-15-09, 16:13
i have been running a cmmg 22 conv. on my tactical in. lower for awhile and havent noticed anything yet.