PDA

View Full Version : carry handle optic suggestions

88redryder88
04-29-09, 05:40
Hello everyone, I recently purchased my first AR. I bought it in a panic in fear the AWB would be reinstated. Anyway, it has the fixed carry handle and i would like to change it to a flat top so i could mount some form of holosight or red dot. Before i spend the $$ on a stripped upper, i would like to try a more affordable method to see if i would like it. Would you guys recommend a carry handle mount? It wouldnt be permanent, just so i could kinda get the "feel" of what they are like. I use my carbine mainly for home defense. What kind of optic would you recommend as far as reliability and price goes? I dont want to put alot of $$ in it since im just experimenting as of now. Thanks in Advance.
-Red

ST911
04-29-09, 09:32
Hello everyone, I recently purchased my first AR. I bought it in a panic in fear the AWB would be reinstated. Anyway, it has the fixed carry handle and i would like to change it to a flat top so i could mount some form of holosight or red dot. Before i spend the $$ on a stripped upper, i would like to try a more affordable method to see if i would like it. Would you guys recommend a carry handle mount? It wouldnt be permanent, just so i could kinda get the "feel" of what they are like. I use my carbine mainly for home defense. What kind of optic would you recommend as far as reliability and price goes? I dont want to put alot of $$ in it since im just experimenting as of now. Thanks in Advance.
-Red

Don't waste your time. Swap uppers from the start.

An Aimpoint C3 in an OEM mount is a GTG entry-level optic.

Skip some meals out and similar things to get the scratch to buy good stuff.

lanceriley
04-29-09, 11:52
oem mount?? don't you think he should get a good mount

ST911
04-29-09, 12:00
oem mount?? don't you think he should get a good mount

That recommendation is to get him into a quality RDS setup at the lowest possible price. There are indeed better mounts than the OEM (LT-150, 129, etc), but the OEM can get him started.

Better to compromise on an OEM mount with the C3, than a lesser optic option with the integrated mount. ;)

lanceriley
04-29-09, 12:09
i've learned not to skimp on the mount.

Alex F
04-29-09, 13:20
What about putting a rail system on the front and mounting it on that?

lanceriley
04-29-09, 19:20
you'll need a free float rail for that

88redryder88
05-01-09, 02:24
can someone direct me to a good, affordable ff rail system?

lanceriley
05-01-09, 04:34
YHM and MI
but you should consider Larue Rails. they're 200+ and already good quality

88redryder88
05-01-09, 05:03
ill have to hold off on the rail setup for a while, just ordered a stripped upper from BCM.
Time to start saving for an EOTech:D