PDA

View Full Version : springer mil-spec concern

flyboy1788
04-29-09, 13:19
my springer mil-spec which has always eaten all new and factory remanufactured ammo like candy, was jamming(failing to return to battery) on these questionable, seemingly underpowered reloads I was using. Not only did they seem quite underpowered compared to the winchester hollowpoints I used, many of them had small to moderate amounts of rust on the brass shell. On top of that, it seemed like on a fair amount, the shells were bulging. Although I would like it to eat ALL ammo indescriminately, I have to ask myself if I shouldnt worry about it not eating these reloads. i didnt think I was limp wristing, but Im not sure. Do underpowered rounds make a difference??? what about a new recoil spring??(i have maye 1500-2000 rounds through it, and i also walk around the house racking the slide quite a bit) Or should just not worry about it. Like I said, it eats ultramax LRNs and winchester white box hollowpoints like candy. Also, even if the consensus is that the reloads are a no go, would it not be a bad idea to maybe throw in a wolf 18.5# spring or something along those lines?? BTW my feedramp is as smooth and polished as can be, so I dont think that is it. In case you could not already tell, I am anal about my guns running flawless
Thanks for any input

Alex F
04-29-09, 13:22
Personally, I am much more worried about my gun not shooting factory ammo than some reloads with a questionable past.

If they're bulged I wouldn't shoot them at all. Strip them and reuse what you can to make decent reloads, in my opinion.

flyboy1788
04-29-09, 13:26
Personally, I am much more worried about my gun not shooting factory ammo than some reloads with a questionable past.

If they're bulged I wouldn't shoot them at all. Strip them and reuse what you can to make decent reloads, in my opinion.

Actually, they were given to me. I dont have access to reloading equipment. A friend of my uncles just gave them to him, and he gave them to me...maybe he gave them to my uncle for a reason???:confused:

usp_fan
04-29-09, 14:10
Reloads from a friend of a relative that show signs of being out of spec are not anything I would run through my pistol.

I've had a pistol come apart in my hand before, it is something I don't want to repeat. I don't have anything against reloads. I shoot about 90% reloads and 10% factory ammo through all my guns.

These reloads are giving you a "clue" that they shouldn't be shot in your pistol. Listen to them and get rid of them so you are not temped to continue shooting them.

Business_Casual
04-29-09, 14:56
Thanks for any input

Please use paragraphs.

M_P

skipper49
04-29-09, 15:45
No offence, but I would not use reloads that came to me "third hand", even if they "looked" great. Third hand and ratty looking too, no way. Listen to your gun.

flyboy1788
04-29-09, 16:12
Perhaps I will get rid of them then....But free ammo is SO tempting, but not worth breaking my gun or getting hurt over I guess.

CryingWolf
04-29-09, 21:31
Underpowered rusting bulging reloads; yeah, you probably don't want to trust the loads. Also, with reloads I have to trust the person reloading said rounds. I trust myself and one other person; you have to be really anal about every round when you are reloading.

Also, are these rounds really underpowered or light loads. If you want to shoot light loads and only light loads through your 1911 you should probably look into a lighter recoil spring. I don't think that is the case here. 1500 to 2000 rounds it certainly won't hurt to go ahead and get a new recoil spring. How do your "normal" rounds run? Where is your brass landing? If you say within three feet of me and I can just drop a coffee can down to catch the brass then I would say your current recoil spring is fine.

1SFG
04-29-09, 21:41
You're anal about your guns running flawless and you would still consider shooting this ammo based on your description of the stuff? I heard an ad on the radio today that sums up your situation succinctly: this is the biggest no brainer in the history of earth. Get rid of the crappy ammo, and since the gun was working just fine with quality ammo, leave it alone and stick to the good stuff.

Perhaps I will get rid of them then....But free ammo is SO tempting, but not worth breaking my gun or getting hurt over I guess.

usp_fan
04-29-09, 22:04
One option with those reloads is to give them to someone who reloads and allow them to tear them apart for components. Bullets and primed cases are valuable right now. They can resize the case without depriming, meter new powder, and reseat the bullet. Perhaps they would be willing to do this in trade for a significant amount of the ammo to keep and shoot themselves?

--usp_fan

flyboy1788
04-29-09, 22:09
although they may not be quite as bad as some of you are picturing, it might be best to discard them. When I say some of them are rusting, I meant very light rust in some areas on some of the cases. If they were that completely rediculous, I probobly wouldnt have considered it.

Regardless, the point is they didn't fuction good and the cases im sure were somewhat out of spec. I just figured that my gun shouldnt be that picky. I just dont shoot a lot of reloads, so I wasnt sure what is acceptable and what isnt. I just figured most non-factory reloads looked a bit worn/ imperfect like that.

To answer CryingWolfs question: they didnt have near the bite of the winchester hollowpoints I was using, and were even a noticeable amount less powerful than ultramax LRNs. As far as where the brass lands, I cant recall, as this is not something I have payed attention to.

I will consider this case closed and stop using crap reloads. Thanks for knocking some sense into me everyone:cool:

flyboy1788
04-29-09, 22:12
One option with those reloads is to give them to someone who reloads and allow them to tear them apart for components. Bullets and primed cases are valuable right now. They can resize the case without depriming, meter new powder, and reseat the bullet. Perhaps they would be willing to do this in trade for a significant amount of the ammo to keep and shoot themselves?

--usp_fan

Actually, there is only about 20 to 30 of these left, and the only person I know who reloads .45 ammo is my uncle, and I dont want to be a douche bag and give these back to him, so Ill just hang on to them for a while or get rid of them

CryingWolf
04-30-09, 08:08
To answer CryingWolfs question: they didnt have near the bite of the winchester hollowpoints I was using, and were even a noticeable amount less powerful than ultramax LRNs. As far as where the brass lands, I cant recall, as this is not something I have payed attention to.

Your recoil spring could be do for replacement. If your brass is depositing themselves along way from where you are standing this could be a sign of a weak recoil spring, along with fail to return to battery. Like I said they are relatively cheap enough. Your factory spring should be 16# and although 18.5# spring may work, especially with heavier loads, it can introduce other problems; stove piping, FTE and FTF, especially with lighter loads. You may consider picking up a 16# recoil spring just to do a replacement.

CryingWolf
04-30-09, 08:22
Actually, there is only about 20 to 30 of these left, and the only person I know who reloads .45 ammo is my uncle, and I dont want to be a douche bag and give these back to him, so Ill just hang on to them for a while or get rid of them

Well, if you are ever interested in reloading you could save them, take apart and roll your own. Don't save the powder of course, but with a good puller the brass and bullets could be reused. Care and caution should be used when resizing with the primers in. If you never reloaded I would probably build a few hundred rounds before redoing these rounds. Reloading can be very fun and rewarding. If you are a little of a perfectionist it is very easy to reload .45ACP.

I remember my first hundred rounds took me hours to reload and just minutes to shoot up. I wanted to stand behind a tree with a string tied to the trigger but after that first bang with a round I created I was hooked.
;)

flyboy1788
04-30-09, 09:00
One day, I will get into reloading. Most likely after I am done with college and find a real job. Right now though, I am focusing on buying guns and ammo and the appropriate parts/accessories for them. As for where my 1911 is launching the brass, I will know next weekend. You said 3 feet is a good number??

CryingWolf
04-30-09, 09:29
One day, I will get into reloading. Most likely after I am done with college and find a real job. Right now though, I am focusing on buying guns and ammo and the appropriate parts/accessories for them. As for where my 1911 is launching the brass, I will know next weekend. You said 3 feet is a good number??

Yeah, the key here is to make sure it is not really launching the brass. The three feet is approximate number so around three feet is good. If you put in the heavy recoil spring and your brass is barely clearing the pistol you will probably see extraction problems.

I know on my springer hi-cap I am about do to change the recoil spring it has been really flinging the brass of late, and like you I work the slide a bit at home. I will go with a 16# spring. I shoot a lot of 230g off the shelf ball ammo plus some lighter lead ball reloads. Nothing really heavy.

flyboy1788
04-30-09, 09:34
Yeah, the key here is to make sure it is not really launching the brass. The three feet is approximate number so around three feet is good. If you put in the heavy recoil spring and your brass is barely clearing the pistol you will probably see extraction problems.

I know on my springer hi-cap I am about do to change the recoil spring it has been really flinging the brass of late, and like you I work the slide a bit at home. I will go with a 16# spring. I shoot a lot of 230g off the shelf ball ammo plus some lighter lead ball reloads. Nothing really heavy.

I will take note next time Im out. I usually just shoot the plain FMJ or LRN factory target/ plinking ammo as well, so maybe Ill just pick up a wolff combo with a 16# spring and a heavier one so I can switch them out for the times that I feel like shooting hollowpoints or other +P ammo. Its not like they're too expense so it shouldnt be a big deal.

flyboy1788
05-04-09, 14:32
It just occured to me, what if the magazines have something to do with the slide not returning to battery with the reloads? Im no expert with 1911s, but I know magazines can sometimes be the culprit. Also, there was one incident with a winchester hollow point where I took a mag and loaded 3 or so rounds, because I wanted to save the rest for home defense, and on the 3rd and final shot, the bullet was almost completely nose up in the magazine almost as if it were a weak spring or some such thing or perhaps a follower malf....wierd. I am taking it out this weekend, so I will make note of different things more closely.

Business_Casual
05-04-09, 15:16
Sounds like magazine feed lips.

How old are the mags?

M_P

flyboy1788
05-04-09, 16:53
Sounds like magazine feed lips.

How old are the mags?

M_P

they came with the gun which was made in '95.

Business_Casual
05-05-09, 07:57
So your magazines will be old enough to drive soon.

Is there a possibility you should replace them?

M_P

ralph
05-05-09, 08:19
What kind of bullets were these cases loaded with?? Lead semi wadcutters? Lead round nosed? If they are cast lead bullets they will bulge the cases when reloaded, that is a cosmetic flaw and dosen't hurt anything..I load LSWC's all the time and all of them are bulged all go through a case gage and all fire, eject, fine.
The part that bothers me is you say the cases are rusting?? Last time I looked cases are made from brass, which is a non ferrous metal so, they cant' rust because there is no iron in them. As far a the loads being underpowered, that's also quite possible, there are alot of people who shoot 1911's with light loads they usually change the recoil spring for a lighter one, and shoot a lighter load you'd be suprised how light you can go with the right recoil springs. Anyway, since you don't know what these loads have in them, where they were stored, how old they are, I would'nt use them..I've been reloading for 26 yrs, I'd never use anyone elses loads unless I knew that person well, and I knew he was comptent reloader.
Going to a heavier recoil spring (like a 18.5) probably is'nt a bad idea, if you're going to use factory ball, or hollow points,if you do decide to start reloading your own you may have to go with a lighter recoil spring. (16,17# The spring you have in it now probably has about 1000 rnds of life left in it, recoil springs are cheap.I'd also consider getting some new mags if you notice you're having feeding issues with your regular ammo.(they are getting pretty old, I'd expect them to start being problematic) Feeding issues with light loads and the stock spring are also quite possible as the light loads may not have enough power to cycle the action properly.(since we don't know how or what they were loaded with) The only two options here are, go to a lighter recoil spring, up the load so it will cycle the action properly.(if you were reloading) Try some of your regular ammo and see if you have any problems if you don't then you'll know the problem was the light loads.

flyboy1788
05-05-09, 16:29
So your magazines will be old enough to drive soon.

Is there a possibility you should replace them?

M_P

indeed:D I thought they would last a lot longer than that...

flyboy1788
05-05-09, 16:42
What kind of bullets were these cases loaded with?? Lead semi wadcutters? Lead round nosed? If they are cast lead bullets they will bulge the cases when reloaded, that is a cosmetic flaw and dosen't hurt anything..I load LSWC's all the time and all of them are bulged all go through a case gage and all fire, eject, fine.
The part that bothers me is you say the cases are rusting?? Last time I looked cases are made from brass, which is a non ferrous metal so, they cant' rust because there is no iron in them. As far a the loads being underpowered, that's also quite possible, there are alot of people who shoot 1911's with light loads they usually change the recoil spring for a lighter one, and shoot a lighter load you'd be suprised how light you can go with the right recoil springs. Anyway, since you don't know what these loads have in them, where they were stored, how old they are, I would'nt use them..I've been reloading for 26 yrs, I'd never use anyone elses loads unless I knew that person well, and I knew he was comptent reloader.
Going to a heavier recoil spring (like a 18.5) probably is'nt a bad idea, if you're going to use factory ball, or hollow points,if you do decide to start reloading your own you may have to go with a lighter recoil spring. (16,17# The spring you have in it now probably has about 1000 rnds of life left in it, recoil springs are cheap.I'd also consider getting some new mags if you notice you're having feeding issues with your regular ammo.(they are getting pretty old, I'd expect them to start being problematic) Feeding issues with light loads and the stock spring are also quite possible as the light loads may not have enough power to cycle the action properly.(since we don't know how or what they were loaded with) The only two options here are, go to a lighter recoil spring, up the load so it will cycle the action properly.(if you were reloading) Try some of your regular ammo and see if you have any problems if you don't then you'll know the problem was the light loads.

thanks for the response. the projectiles in the reloads were FMJs and as far as rust, you are right, brass doesnt "rust", but there seemed to be some sort of corroding going on with the shells. Unfortunately I cant just pick them up and examine them right now as I am away at school ( be home on thurs. and going shooting on sat.:D) Also I am extremely broke, so the idea of buying more mags will have to wait.
I already owe my old man $100 for mauser ammo(he spotted me because I am poor), but Im fairly certain that the gun is not the problem.

I remember running 350 rounds of ultramax LRN and quality reloads through it without one single failure early last year, and then the first time I encountered a problem with it was this year with the reloads. perhaps I will post pics of them when I get home...If i happen to feel inclined to do so. Also, perhaps I will get a new recoil spring as well. It cant hurt at this point. I just hope its not some extractor tension issue. I would hate to have to dick around with that.

These are the lightest loads Ive shot, and are the only one problems with

ralph
05-05-09, 18:04
If the cases are corroded, by all means pitch'em...As far as extractor tension is concerned, you can test it yourself...Field strip the pistol..remove the barrel bushing, barrel, and recoil spring, Now slip a loaded round under the extractor and slide it up on the breechface as if it was going into the barrel.. Wrap your hand around the rear of the slide and shake it up and down lightly, don't go crazy if you have enough tension on your extractor, the case won't come off. If it slips off, it needs adjusted. I suspect you extractor is fine, if it wasn't you'd be getting jams all the time with whatever ammo you were using.

flyboy1788
05-05-09, 18:30
I suspect you extractor is fine, if it wasn't you'd be getting jams all the time with whatever ammo you were using.

We'll if that is the case, then I would say it must be alright, because it always returns to battery on moderate to higher powered ammo.