PDA

View Full Version : MI BUIS Questions and My Uneducated Review

BushmasterFanBoy
01-02-07, 20:51
I just bought the flip up front (rail mounted) and flip up rear MI sights for my Bushmaster. The front is mounted on the 13.2 LaRue rail and the rear is behind my Eotech, which is mounted entirely on the rail system, just in front of the Barrel nut ring thing. (I'm not incredibly technical:p )

Here is the situation. First off, my front sight is pretty hard to move, its not a huge problem, but I'd have a hard time moving any more than 4 clicks at a time. I figure this is going to necesitate me buying a front sight tool.

Now here is my big issue, the rear sight is pretty close to being maxed out to the right. I'd say there is under 1/8 in. between the side of the aperture's base, and the inner side of the right piece. On the left side, there is about three times that space, still from the side of the apertures base to the inner side of the left protector. Is this within the range of "normal?"

A few points about the sights

1-The sights flip very smooth, and very fast! Like buttah.
2-The smooth motion comes at a price unfortunately, the the sights wobble a bit if nudged, but they return to their normal position is pressure is removed.
3- I like the front sight. This was my biggest reason for buying these. I could not stand the thought of a Troy AK style post. I just would not allow that on my carbine, as I'd had very bad experiance with AK's and tend to shy away from anything like that on my serious rifles
4-I don't know how durable they are, but I would hessitate to test them out for durability. The detent is pretty big, its just that I could easily see the notch they settle into being overcome pretty easy by significant force coupled with gradual wear and tear.

If you want them, look into some other alternatives first. Don't buy them because they are cheap, buy what you want. I could've easily gotten the troy's but I opted not to because I didn't liek the front sight.

If anyone else owns these, please comment, or if you have comments about other sights like the troy's go ahead and tell us about your experiance.

BushmasterFanBoy
01-09-07, 00:41
No one has any input? I find it surprising that you guys are refusing to voice your opinions on someone else's purchase! (This is a lot different than the other side:D )

K.L. Davis
01-09-07, 01:02
I am not a real fan of mounting the front sight to the rail, so I dont have a lot of real experience... but, I would suspect that either the front sight is not centered on the rail, or the rail is not perpendicular with the bore.

Turn the front sight around backwards and see what adjustments have to be made to zero the rifle, this should give you an idea of what the problem might be.

mark5pt56
01-09-07, 06:39
Out of 4 that I've done(Troy, Larue and LMT) I just had one that I had to turn the sight all of the way down to 50m zero. No idea what would cause it as there's alot of variables. Actually two, separate blaster, the Larue rear is nearly to the extreme left.

Every gun is different. I had one some time ago that all parts were new. Fixed front, ARMS 40 Aimpoint and ARMS mount(yeah, a while ago) And believe it or not, the whole set up was zeroed as installed!

Mark

dletsch
08-07-08, 16:57
I just bought the flip up front (rail mounted) and flip up rear MI sights for my Bushmaster. The front is mounted on the 13.2 LaRue rail and the rear is behind my Eotech, which is mounted entirely on the rail system, just in front of the Barrel nut ring thing. (I'm not incredibly technical:p )

Here is the situation. First off, my front sight is pretty hard to move, its not a huge problem, but I'd have a hard time moving any more than 4 clicks at a time. I figure this is going to necesitate me buying a front sight tool.

Now here is my big issue, the rear sight is pretty close to being maxed out to the right. I'd say there is under 1/8 in. between the side of the aperture's base, and the inner side of the right piece. On the left side, there is about three times that space, still from the side of the apertures base to the inner side of the left protector. Is this within the range of "normal?"

A few points about the sights

1-The sights flip very smooth, and very fast! Like buttah.
2-The smooth motion comes at a price unfortunately, the the sights wobble a bit if nudged, but they return to their normal position is pressure is removed.
3- I like the front sight. This was my biggest reason for buying these. I could not stand the thought of a Troy AK style post. I just would not allow that on my carbine, as I'd had very bad experiance with AK's and tend to shy away from anything like that on my serious rifles
4-I don't know how durable they are, but I would hessitate to test them out for durability. The detent is pretty big, its just that I could easily see the notch they settle into being overcome pretty easy by significant force coupled with gradual wear and tear.

If you want them, look into some other alternatives first. Don't buy them because they are cheap, buy what you want. I could've easily gotten the troy's but I opted not to because I didn't liek the front sight.

If anyone else owns these, please comment, or if you have comments about other sights like the troy's go ahead and tell us about your experiance.

My MI BUIS (on a Larue Stealth Upper) is canted to the left (it does not mount perpendicular to the receiver.) So, you would have to crank it right to zero it. Maybe yours has the same problem.

Iraqgunz
08-07-08, 18:14
BMFB,

My Noveske Recon upper also uses rail mounted front/ rear BUIS and I had zero problems, and no extreme sight corrections. Obviously something is not straight. Was this gun pieced together or did it come like this?

FYI- I have BM carbines here that use YHM free floating rails and some of them were slightly canted. It was very hard to see it but enough to cause problems.