PDA

View Full Version : AR SBR opinion question

edmorseiii
04-30-09, 06:46
I asked this on an other forum and got 0 responses, so I thought i would throw it out here and see if anyone would care to offer some help.

I am filling out the papers for a 223 shorty and would like some input on what length I should go with. I know it depends on what I am going to use it for, mostly range shooting, maybe some tactical rifle courses. I would also consider it a HD gun. Currently I am looking at either 10.5, I was in the Navy and loved using the MK18’s, and 7.5. I like the 7.5 because of the obvious size benefit, but what pains would I be in for using a brake, I live in a ban state, muzzle blasts? Also, is there a real difference in range accuracy between the 2?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ed

RD62
04-30-09, 07:17
I assume you mean what length should you go with on your forms?

I would use the shortest length that you may run. If a 7.5" is a possibility, I would use 7.5" in my lengths for the barrel and OAL.

Accuracy is not determined by barrel length, but velocity is. The lower velocity of the shorter barrels may/can reduce your effective range.

Further questions along these lines are probably best posted in the NFA section.

Good luck in your project.

-RD62

edmorseiii
04-30-09, 09:08
Sorry about the posting in the wrong forum, first post. Feel free to move this to the appropriate spot.

What I was really looking for was people’s opinions and experience on the 2 different sizes, 7.5 and 10.5. I already put 7.5 on the papers.

Thanks for the reply though.

markm
04-30-09, 09:20
I would never consider anything under 10.5, and my preference is 11.5.

Going shorter than 10.5 is robbing the cartridge of too much velocity.... switching to 9mm subgun would probably be a better choice.

Forget the brake. Yikes... I accidentally let a round fly with my muffs above my ears Saturday night. I though my gun blew up for a split second. A KX3 might be better if you can't run a flash hider.

DRich
04-30-09, 09:27
I would never consider anything under 10.5, and my preference is 11.5.

My thoughts exactly. After having 7.5", 10.5", 11.5" and 12.5" SBR's, I've settled on the 11.5" length as the best compromise between OAL and performance.

Army Chief
04-30-09, 09:30
Actually, I would go with 10.5".

Anything longer is unlikely to be questioned, and anything shorter (in a non-select-fire application) is impractical at best. More to the point, you can easily apply for the 10.5" and if you do elect to play with a shorter barrel later on, a simple letter to the BATF advising them of the alternate configuration is more than enough to cover you.

AC

RD62
04-30-09, 10:40
Welcome!

Didn't mean to bust any chops, just trying to get you the most replies to your post.

I've got the LMT 10.5" upper and it's very handy. I don't really see the benefit of a 7.5" in 5.56. The muzzle blast with either is going to be pretty stout, therefore I would shy away from a break if possible.

-RD62

rob_s
04-30-09, 10:45
7.5 if you want something to tinker and screw with, 10.5 if you want something to go out and shoot.

edmorseiii
04-30-09, 11:32
Well thank you guys for the replies, unfortunatly the state of MA kept the old AWB as its own, hence the need for a brake. I would much rather the KX3. I think you have helped me affirm my orginal thoughts on going with the 10.5.

Thanks again, and I will be sure to post pictures as soon as its down.

Ed

markm
04-30-09, 11:44
I would much rather the KX3.

The KX3 is NOT a flash hider. I don't know how your laws read, but if the restrictions are non FHs only, you'd be fine.

Saginaw79
04-30-09, 11:51
Id go w/ a 10.5 or 11.5, no shorter

edmorseiii
04-30-09, 11:51
Noveske's website says this regaurding the KX3

"The Noveske KX3 is classified as a flash suppressor by the BATF FTB."

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=kx3556p&cat=11&page=1&search=&since=&status=

markm
04-30-09, 11:53
Noveske's website says this regaurding the KX3

"The Noveske KX3 is classified as a flash suppressor by the BATF FTB."

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=kx3556p&cat=11&page=1&search=&since=&status=

That's too bad. It really isn't. I've seen pics of some mighty fireballs coming out of that thing.

If my state had a ban, I'd ignore it anyway.

edmorseiii
04-30-09, 11:56
i dont really understand how it could be considered a surpressor/hider, it doesnt really hide or surpress anything, but then again i would hate for them to take away my rights and guns over the cool factor.