PDA

View Full Version : New Build, tell me what you think.

Recoil-felt
01-02-07, 22:34
VLTOR MUR-1A
CMMG 16” Mid-length full with A2 FS
CTR-M Stock OD
TD Grip OD
Calvary Arms M5 Handguards OD
Bravo Co. Castle Nut and Back Plate
VLTOR Buffer Tube Milspec
Mega Lower with DPMS Parts kit
CMT, MP tested BCG and CH
ISMI CS buffer spring
H buffer
Larue BUIS

I have all the parts or they are ordered, C4IGrant is going to supply the BCG and buffer parts as well as assemble the upper:D

Optics *next month* Trijicon TA-01NSN or Aimpoint COMP M2, can't decide between 4x or red dot.

Dan GSR
01-02-07, 22:59
TTIWWP

M4arc
01-03-07, 05:05
Looks good to me!

The only things I'd change are the DPMS lower parts kit, because you can get CMT/Stag for the same price (unless you already have it) and I'd look at a Sabre Defence mid-length barrel because I'm extremely impressed with the two that I have.

But either way, even without my suggestions, it sounds like you have an awesome build planned!

Recoil-felt
01-03-07, 06:57
TTIWWPI don't have pictures because it is all in the mail :p
Except the Upper, here you go.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/jnortham/IMG_1016.jpg
Yaaaaay pictures....

Hawkeye
01-03-07, 10:33
Sounds like a solid build.

Recoil-felt
01-03-07, 10:41
I must admit Hawkeye, I drew 80% of the inspiration from your truck gun :)
You know what they say though, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Hawkeye
01-03-07, 11:06
Well thanks. :) I just put together what I find to be functional weapons for me. I dont use any particular part to try and win any popularity contests in the AR world. ;)

As for the optics, depends on what you want to do with the weapon / what role you intend for it to fill. For me, an ACOG and an Aimpoint fill two different roles.

Recoil-felt
01-03-07, 11:55
Actually I have a 14.5" M4 configuration as well. I am looking for the Aimpoint for it. I had a Eotech 511, I just couldn't get used to it, the reticle was too big. I prefer the Comp M2, it just aims more naturally for me, the open viewfinder on the Eotech was distracting.
The TA-01 would be for the Mid.

M4 specs:
BM Upper and 14.5" barrel 1:9 with perm. Phantom 2
DPMS lower
CTR-M Stock DE
TD Grip DE
KAS RAS II with DE Ladder Rail Covers
Larue BUIS

Hawkeye
01-03-07, 13:20
For the Aimpoint, step up to the M3 or ML3. Much longer battery life.

Recoil-felt
01-03-07, 13:37
For the Aimpoint, step up to the M3 or ML3. Much longer battery life.
What, besides battery life, is the advantage of the M or ML3 over the M or ML2?

Hawkeye
01-03-07, 13:46
The M2 is night vision compatable. The ML 2 is not. Approx 10,000 hrs battery life on them both and are both 4 moa dots.
The M3 is night vision compatable. The ML 3 is not. Approx. 50,000 hrs battery life on them, and are available with a 2moa or 4 moa dot.

(I believe those are the correct hrs on the battery life)

Recoil-felt
01-03-07, 13:57
The M2 is night vision compatable. The ML 2 is not. Approx 10,000 hrs battery life on them both and are both 4 moa dots.
The M3 is night vision compatable. The ML 3 is not. Approx. 50,000 hrs battery life on them, and are available with a 2moa or 4 moa dot.

(I believe those are the correct hrs on the battery life)
Price-wise you can find some good deals on M2's, 10000 hours is approx 416 days, I don't know if I can shoot for that long as it is ;)
As far as the MOA, 4 MOA is good for short range, run and gun kinda stuff, which is the purpose of my M4. Home defense as well (hand loaded 70gr soft nose in my 2 standby mags).
My middy is going to be for more precision shooting, at least that is my plan.
I eventually want to try a three gun event, but I will need to build a decent shotgun for that. Actually that is my next purchase. Going to need some advice on that matter soon. I would like an M3 or M4. Possibly a SPAS-12 or LAW-12 would be nice too.

az_gun_nut
01-27-07, 09:53
Sounds like a good build, my only suggestion would be to go with an H2 buffer versus an H buffer. I'm running an H2 in my Colt M4 and it makes in much easier to get back on target for follow up shots quicker.

Get an extended battery cap for your M2 Aimpoint and you'll double your battery life. Unless you're planning to go into combat I personally can't justify the extra expense of the M3.

I've got one on mine and bought it from this same guy. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64836122