PDA

View Full Version : A question for some "Salty Marines"

Recoil-felt
01-03-07, 11:18
Anyone on this forum in the Corps, specifically the Infantry around 94 to 96 in the Lejeune/Geiger area?
During that time I was a part time S.L.A.M. instructor (Specialized Learning in Advanced Marksmanship). We taught it in conjunction with the FATS/ISMT.
3 NCO/SNCO's, including me, a recently promoted Sergeant, taught pistol/rifle. Move and shoot, failure drills, cover and fire, improvised firing positions, the "shoot ahead" technique and more.
This class was taught at Stone Bay on the "Hogan's Alley" range, a 270 degree cinder block "town" with pop up and rotating silhouettes.
It was a really cool course and we taught about 20 classes before the Corps pulled funding for it or so we were told.
Any of you "Old Salts" ever get to take it?

FJB
01-03-07, 15:34
I attended SLAM (Senior Leader Advance Marksmanship) in 88. It was ran by only two infantry SNCO Marines at the time, a MSgt that did stint with the Royal Marines and a SSgt that had attended a 250 class at Gunsite. It was ran by and funded by 2d MARDIV. I am sure that was the case when you ran the course as 1st MARDIV did not run a similar course when I was there 93-96. Thus, I suspect that 2d MARDIV pulled the funding and spent on something else, would hope it wasn't some stupid computer software etc. for a COC or something.

SLAM was not a bad course for the time, but the techniques would be considered antiquated in comparison to a Gunsite 223 Basic Carbine, EAG Carbine, 10-8 Carbine, or Vickers Carbine class today. Ahh memory lane...

S/F

FJB
01-03-07, 15:46
I attended SLAM (Senior Leader Advance Marksmanship) in 88. It was ran by only two infantry SNCO Marines at the time, a MSgt that did stint with the Royal Marines and a SSgt that had attended a 250 class at Gunsite. It was ran by and funded by 2d MARDIV. I am sure that was the case when you ran the course as 1st MARDIV did not run a similar course when I was there 93-96. Thus, I suspect that 2d MARDIV pulled the funding and spent on something else, would hope it wasn't for some stupid computer software etc. for a COC or something.

SLAM was not a bad course for the time, but the techniques would be considered antiquated in comparison to a Gunsite 223 Basic Carbine, EAG Carbine, 10-8 Carbine, or Vickers Carbine class today. Marine Corps Security Forces were just starting to use the Gunsite 250 and 260 POIs at that time and when I was with them from 90-93, to include the CQB Instructor Course the curriculum and instruction were excellent. When I transferred to 1st MARDIV I had to reteach my company CQB skills as what was being taught at the MOUT course was inferior compared to what MCSF and SOTG were teaching at the time. Those CQB techniques continue to prove themselves in the "kitty litter" box.

Ahh memory lane...

S/F

Army Chief
01-03-07, 16:26
Closest I came was flying Army Hueys out of New River MCAS during all of those Joint Logistics Over The Shore (JLOTS) missions you guys used to conduct every year around that timeframe. :)

SLAM sounds like something that I was exposed to on an admittedly limited scale with our own SF guys, but I was always amazed at how it was possible to learn more with them in a week than I'd picked up even after spending a few years in the infantry. We -- all of us in uniform -- need more courses like this, regardless of what they cost.

Chief

Striker5
01-04-07, 07:09
I arrived in the Lejeune/Geiger/MCAS New River area in 2002. I tried to politic my way into taking the SLAM course, but one of my compadres got the slot, then came back and taunted me about how much fun it was and all the shooting he did. SLAM was phased out that year (I think) to make way for the Enhanced Marksmanship Program (EMP), which morphed into the Urban Marksmanship Program. I have never been to Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc, but it covers almost all the bases I have ever encountered reading (reputable) stuff on the Internet or books. Phase 1 (basic engagement techniques, reloads etc) is or was a predeployment training requirement. Although nothing is perfect, it was heartening to see how OIF/OEF made us realize that KD annual qualification training does not prepare Marines for the real deal.