PDA

View Full Version : Questions for you 1911 guys

RAM Engineer
05-01-09, 15:36
1. How are the current generation of Colt Series 70 guns, in terms of frame/slide quality? I'm thinking in terms of using one as a base gun for a build.

2. With Hilton Yam and Larry Vickers not building commercially, who are some quality builders that I could get to build me my dream gun?

3. Is the Springfield Custom Shop any good for building on a customer supplied gun?

Thanks,
Jason

DRich
05-01-09, 15:48
1. How are the current generation of Colt Series 70 guns, in terms of frame/slide quality? I'm thinking in terms of using one as a base gun for a build.
They are great base pistols for a custom build. I've had two of them built in recent years.

2. With Hilton Yam and Larry Vickers not building commercially, who are some quality builders that I could get to build me my dream gun?
I recommend Ted Yost, Wayne Novak or Chuck Rogers. There are many other talented smiths out there, but these three have built some beautiful 1911's for me over the years.

3. Is the Springfield Custom Shop any good for building on a customer supplied gun?
Never used them or seen their work. But I'd pick a good gunsmith over a factory shop every day of the week. Just my opinion...

421mike
05-01-09, 16:00
Just buy a Wilson combat, I have two and they never fail to go bang no matter what I put through them. Besides a gun smith, no matter who you pick, will charge you as much or more than a Wilson and Wilson backs his guns 100%. Plus his magazines ALWAYS work. If you opt to go with something else at least use Wilson mags. Oh yeah, I have a bunch of 1911s besides Wilson, but I only carry Wilsons.:D

RAM Engineer
05-01-09, 16:02
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, Chuck Rogers website currently says:

Update 2-13-08:
Due to an overwhelming backlog,
I am not accepting any work at this time.
I will be offering full-house 'spec' guns for sale here on occasion.
If you are interested in purchasing one, please check in from time to time.
Thanks!
Chuck

That's too bad, those are some nice looking blasters.

13F3OL7
05-01-09, 16:18
I don't personally have any experience with Colts, but have you given any thought to Ron Phillips? He's out on his own now and has pictures up on his site, www.phillips1911.com , of some really nice work.

theJanitor
05-01-09, 16:18
choosing a gunsmith for your "dream gun" depends on the vision for your dream gun. what style of customizing are you looking for? Ultra modern, retro, classic ipsc, for example? do you have a favorite gunsmith of the past? Swensen, Clark, Heinie, etc?

Adam_s
05-01-09, 16:38
Right now, I'm a huge fan of Dave Errickson's work. His shop goes by, "Condition One Pistolsmithing".
http://www.conditionone.us/Gallery/ is his gallery. He has had a lot of the big name smiths like Chuck Rogers, Bob Rodgers, and the like say VERY good things about his work.
If it matters, he's also a former Marine.

As for a base gun: Pick a smith, and get what HE recommends. Some will only work on Colts, others want to start with a blank slate from Caspian.

Regardless, good luck!
-Adam

SWATcop556
05-01-09, 16:41
The Colt Series 70 guns make great base guns. The have very sharp edges from the factory but they are made of quality parts.

I don't have any experience with the well known high-end builders and I know that they are backlogged for several years for some.

The Springfield Custom Shop does quality work and their turn around time is very reasonable. Hilton Yam recommends them for work as well as trusts them to build the 10-8 Operators for him so I would take that as a hell of an endorsement.

I have had nothing but good work from the Custom Shop and they are very receptable to phone calls with questions or build ideas.

Irish
05-01-09, 16:44
I would 2nd the recommendation on the Wilson. I have a CQB and think it's a great gun!
I would highly recommend checking out the Louder Than Words forum. Most of the top tier 1911 pistol smiths are on there and you can ask any and all the questions you have there and get honest feedback from the source. There's a ton of pictures of different people's work so you can see their style as well. Good luck!

the1911fan
05-01-09, 17:28
Try one of these excellent smiths from the buckeye state and you will not wait three years for it. The SA custom shop does very good work also.

www.sdmfabricating.com

www.drakesgunworks.com

buggsb
05-01-09, 18:13
+1 on the Springfield custom shop. Reasonable prices, quick turn around and good work.

Wally
05-01-09, 18:21
Steve Morrison at www.marsguns.com

theJanitor
05-01-09, 18:35
Try one of these excellent smiths from the buckeye state and you will not wait three years for it. The SA custom shop does very good work also.

www.drakesgunworks.com

i can wholeheartedly recommend Drake. my pistol is in his gallery:

http://www.drakesgunworks.com/images/dgw_gallery/

but i think the OP still needs to match his vision with the proper gunsmith. they all have their specialty and niche. it's best to find the 'smith that has a matching vision

YVK
05-01-09, 18:43
There are many great smiths, but, as you are going to find out, a lot of reputable guys don't take work now. Those who do take have long waiting time. For a shortcut, I suggest you register at www.louderthanwords.us and look at their classified section. There are several custom pistols available right now.

SA custom shop is a very reputable place; no personal experience, but people I trust spoke highly about it.

I've had EGW do some work, it was done well, but not super.

For a truly unique super-1911 pistol, keep visiting Chuck Rogers' website. For a past 2 years he's been building and putting pistols for sale occasionally, about 2-3 per year. Those are exceptional pieces, but you can't spec them, they are what Chuck wants them to be. Last two of those commanded prices of over 7K.

SeaSoldier
05-01-09, 18:59
The current generation of Series 70 Colt's are very acceptable and possibly the Base Gun of choice with many smith's. As far as a Builder IMHO you need to look no farther to the boy's at Heirloom Precision. I would commission Jason Burton to build it. No doubt about it. I may be a little biased as I have the privilege of calling him a friend. In a recent American Handgunner magazine Clint Smith said his favorite 1911 was built by "Young Burton". www.heirloomprecision.com.

erh
05-01-09, 19:20
Have you considered having your favorite Gunsmith
order you a Caspian Upper & Lower Set.??

You can likely save some $$ and certainly end up w/
an excellent set & set-up, if you choose the right 'Smith for your
build...

Our shop is up and running after a move "as we speak"
on Tue. or Wed., next..; We build 1911's too...

'Drop me an email if you have any interest Sir,

Eric! ;)

gunfixer@live.com

JSGlock34
05-01-09, 19:48
If you like Hilton Yam's builds and the Springfield Custom Shop, have you considered their 10-8 collaboration?

Springfield Custom 10-8 (http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=79812&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1)

Not sure any are left, but it seems like future builds may be available...

maximus83
05-01-09, 22:13
Right now, I'm a huge fan of Dave Errickson's work. His shop goes by, "Condition One Pistolsmithing".
http://www.conditionone.us/Gallery/ is his gallery. He has had a lot of the big name smiths like Chuck Rogers, Bob Rodgers, and the like say VERY good things about his work.
If it matters, he's also a former Marine.

As for a base gun: Pick a smith, and get what HE recommends. Some will only work on Colts, others want to start with a blank slate from Caspian.

Regardless, good luck!
-Adam

+1. I've been hearing the rave reviews about Dave Erickson. Talked to him recently as well (phone). A very nice guy, and does sharp work.

Also, I can't speak highly enough about Springfield Custom. They've done two of my 1911's, and Dave Williams (who runs the shop) is among the best in the business. And Springfield totally stands behind their guns and their work.

the1911fan
05-01-09, 22:54
+1. I've been hearing the rave reviews about Dave Erickson. Talked to him recently as well (phone). A very nice guy, and does sharp work.

Also, I can't speak highly enough about Springfield Custom. They've done two of my 1911's, and Dave Erickson (who runs the shop) is among the best in the business. And Springfield totally stands behind their guns and their work.

When does this Dave Erickson guy sleep??:p Doing his own smithing gig and running the SA custom shop.LOL..you mean Dave Williams at SA custom shop;)

maximus83
05-01-09, 22:55
Oops, you are right, little verbal slip there. Corrected original.

VooDoo6Actual
05-01-09, 23:20
Dave Williams @ SA is a gent and a real skilled pro no doubt. Highly recomended.

David Thomas
05-01-09, 23:23

There have been some new Colts released with off center recoil spring tunnels or dust covers causing the dust cover to rub the slide. From what I can tell this is mainly a cosmetic issue, but we are talking about a dream gun right? Just because it has a pony does not make it perfect. Also the frame and slide fit can be quite loose, which may or may not be an issue to consider.

If I were going to build/commission my dream gun, I would look at a Les Baer frame and slide with no front cocking serrations or markings and no front strap checkering.

Jason Burton
05-02-09, 00:20
There have been some new Colts released with off center recoil spring tunnels or dust covers causing the dust cover to rub the slide. From what I can tell this is mainly a cosmetic issue, but we are talking about a dream gun right? Just because it has a pony does not make it perfect. Also the frame and slide fit can be quite loose, which may or may not be an issue to consider.

I've seen a couple of re-issue Series 70s as well as Series 80s with the off-center and/or poorly ground spring tunnel. I know of a few cases where Colt replaced the slides and some that I saw weren't too bad and could be fixed with a well done de-horn.

Frame and slide fits can certainly be addressed during a build too... weld the frame up and re-machine the rails being the best (and sometimes only) option.

To the OP - Overall, and with all other considerations, the current Colt Series 70 makes for an excellent base gun.

dcsansiraq
05-02-09, 23:09
SA Custom shop is top notch and stand behind their work 1000%! One of best things is a relatively fast turn around. SA will build on most quality frames.

Fusion Firearms is also an option. I haven't used them myself but alot of folks rave about them.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

sff70
05-03-09, 00:09
I think you need to select the smith 1st, then talk parts and base guns.

Often a smith has preferred parts/base guns to achieve the desired results and will discuss with you the reasons why.

Just remember, you can have it done fast, right, or cheap. Pick any 2 of the 3.

Rob96
05-03-09, 05:16
Quote:

Never used them or seen their work. But I'd pick a good gunsmith over a factory shop every day of the week. Just my opinion...

The Springfield Custom Shop is a true custom shop with real 'smiths. If you are looking for a very nice build, look at the Custom Carry offering from Srpingfield. This is a 1911 built to your specs by the same people that build the FBI Pro Model. Dave Williams is a top notch guy and comes HIGHLY recomended from Hilton Yam.

13F3OL7
05-03-09, 15:57
SA Custom shop is top notch and stand behind their work 1000%! One of best things is a relatively fast turn around. SA will build on most quality frames.

Fusion Firearms is also an option. I haven't used them myself but alot of folks rave about them.

Forgot about Fusion. They're another option depending on what the OP is looking for. Bob and Dale are two class act guys and take care of their customers. They also build some damn fine weapons.

MarshallDodge
05-03-09, 21:33

I have heard really good things about Fusion as well. I have two of their standard frames that I purchased for builds and am very impressed by the quality. They also have kits with the slide, frame, and barrel fitted.

Their customer service is excellent.

BIGUGLY
05-04-09, 09:20
You could also look at Cylinder and Slide.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

d90king
05-04-09, 11:02
There have been some great recommendations, but for me the only place I would send a 1911 to is John Harrison at http://www.harrisoncustom.com/:D He is a true gentleman and his work speaks for itself. Depending on what you want done you could be a 3-5 years out though. If you just need the guts done maybe sooner...

usmc51
08-19-09, 21:28

Thanks,
Jason

I've seen some good NRM Series 70s, and some REALLY bad ones. Personally, I'd start with a Springfield Mil-Spec of a build from scratch on a Caspian slide/frame.

I also HIGHLY recommend the Springfield Custom Shop. They built some of the best Caspians I've ever used.

Wish I had someone in the North Alabama area to recommend, but I haven't had any luck locally for auto work.