PDA

View Full Version : Got my first batch of pmags, quick question

jwinch2
05-02-09, 13:48
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a few pmags as I have heard so many good things about them. However, one of the things I have heard that may be a negative is that the pmags need to be stored with the covers on if loaded as the lips are weak. So first of all, I guess my question is, do most of you do this with loaded pmags? Secondly, I like to keep a loaded mag in my carbine but am worried that if I leave a loaded pmag in, I will run into problems. Have you had luck leaving a loaded pmag in your weapon over time without issues?

I always cycle my mags and only leave them loaded for a few weeks and then load another batch and leave the rest set for several months before repeating. I guess I am just trying to get a feel for how I need to treat pmags and if it is any differently than USGI. That way, I can adjust my rotation if need be.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Jason

RichFitz
05-02-09, 16:41
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a few pmags as I have heard so many good things about them. However, one of the things I have heard that may be a negative is that the pmags need to be stored with the covers on if loaded as the lips are weak. So first of all, I guess my question is, do most of you do this with loaded pmags? Secondly, I like to keep a loaded mag in my carbine but am worried that if I leave a loaded pmag in, I will run into problems. Have you had luck leaving a loaded pmag in your weapon over time without issues?

I always cycle my mags and only leave them loaded for a few weeks and then load another batch and leave the rest set for several months before repeating. I guess I am just trying to get a feel for how I need to treat pmags and if it is any differently than USGI. That way, I can adjust my rotation if need be.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Jason

On the feed lips, the PMag cover is primarily designed to keep dust and debris out of the mags during storage and to protect the feedlips from impact. It also unloads the pressure on the feedlips but we have had PMags loaded for over a year with no cover and zero issues. Note: Keeping a mag in the mag well of an AR15 with the bolt closed unloads the feedlips in the same way the cover does.

Due to all three benefits we recommend long term storage to use the covers but it is not mandatory.

The PMag uses a Stainless Steel spring from a USGI contract manufacture so loading and unloading will be the same as a USGI.

Note: with a PMag unloading/reloading can easily be done by removing the floorplate and dumping the rounds into a new body. Our tech guys do this all the time when doing impact testing on hundreds of bodies at a time but using the same test rounds installed in each one.

jwinch2
05-02-09, 17:49
On the feed lips, the PMag cover is primarily designed to keep dust and debris out of the mags during storage and to protect the feedlips from impact. It also unloads the pressure on the feedlips but we have had PMags loaded for over a year with no cover and zero issues. Note: Keeping a mag in the mag well of an AR15 with the bolt closed unloads the feedlips in the same way the cover does.

Due to all three benefits we recommend long term storage to use the covers but it is not mandatory.

The PMag uses a Stainless Steel spring from a USGI contract manufacture so loading and unloading will be the same as a USGI.

Note: with a PMag unloading/reloading can easily be done by removing the floorplate and dumping the rounds into a new body. Our tech guys do this all the time when doing impact testing on hundreds of bodies at a time but using the same test rounds installed in each one.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for your time!

Cheers,

Jason