PDA

View Full Version : Pocket / Survival fishing kit

macman37
05-02-09, 17:08
I am not a very good fisherman but am interested in assembling a small fishing kit for my BOBs... What are you guys carrying?

Thomas M-4
05-02-09, 18:36
OK guess ILL bite http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/ppf.html :D

RWBlue
05-04-09, 00:05
Traditional sport fishing gear is not a reliable means of catching dinner.

I have a gill net that I purchased many years ago. I keep thinking that I will try it out, but it would be illegal around here so....

Keesh
08-18-09, 23:32

I have a gill net that I purchased many years ago. I keep thinking that I will try it out, but it would be illegal around here so....

Agreed

kno3mike
01-04-10, 01:23
In a survival situation I wouldn't worry if the gill net is illegal or not....but you can make a pocket fishing kit with an empty prescription bottle....fill with hooks, shot, etc. and wrap fishing line around the outside of bottle....secure with tape.

Ak44
01-04-10, 01:34
http://www.bestglide.com/fishing_series_survival_kits.html

Check these out.

MIKE G
01-04-10, 01:44

hellraiser724
01-23-10, 15:04

In a survival situation, you're not really going to care how you catch your dinner.

Gutshot John
01-24-10, 08:21

Neither is hunting.

What's traditional? What's sport? What's reliable? If you're expecting catching three fish for three squares a day then I suppose not but it's all about practice and experience.

Mankind has reliably fished, hunted and otherwise procured dinner for tens of thousands of years with methods that most tenderfeet have no luck with.

vaspence
01-24-10, 22:53
How many of you have used these kits and actually caught something? I need to try it, although I don't normally carry a kit like that. We used to fish with poles with masons line and a leader pulled off our reels on them when I was kid. We had regular rods/reels also (the Zebco 33s) but we'd fish at night on the New and wear out the redeyes with hickory poles and hellgrammites or crawdads.

I'd agree with Gutshot John (it happens occasionally:eek:) that practice and experience will greatly affect success. You guys ever use jug lines? As far as gill nets, all the various Central Americans I see using them out on the James here in Richmond in the summer do quite well with them.

Jaddra
02-02-10, 22:51
I am not a fishing expert and was never very good at catching stuff. I did some research when fixing my BOB and the best solution for me was getting a USAF Crew Survival Fishing Kit. This thing is so perfect and measures 4 5/8" x 2 13/16" x 1 1/8". The only improvement I did was to change the plastic box with a nice metal one, painted od green and add few extra items. I will post some pics a little later.

Description:
US Military Pilots & Aircrew Survival Fishing Kit.
Genuine US Military Surplus.
NSN: 4220-00-244-0764

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/geargeneral/2c59ac2c0.jpg

Component List:
1- Fishing Instruction Booklet
1- Aluminum Case
2- Treble Hooks, Size 1
2- Straight Shank Hooks, Size 9/0
1- Leader Packet, Assorted
1- 18lb. Test, 50 ft. Monofil-Line
1- 63lb. Test, 50 ft. Monofil-Line
1- Assembly of Assorted Hooks