PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove a Warren front sight w/ red loctite on a Glock?

johnson
05-02-09, 18:22
I installed the Warren 2 dot sights on my G19 a few weeks ago it took it to the range today. It shot a little to the left at 15 yards and I need to turn the front sight just a little bit.

When I have the posts lined up, the rear bottom dot is just a tad to the right of the top one.

When I have the dots lined up, the front blade is a tad on the right side of the sight picture.

The rear sight is dead center to the slide so i'm thinking I need to turn the front sight a little bit counter clockwise.

SecretNY
05-02-09, 18:27
Okay, a couple of things. First off, never use RED loctite on sights. They need to be removed or adjusted so use BLUE from now on. I recently had the same problem when a gunsmith used the red.

Before you go ahead and remove them, have the best shooter you know shoot the gun. It seems odd that at 15 yards it shoots left. Did you have accurate shots at 3 or 7 yards. It might be you and not the sights. That's why have a good shooter (who shoots glocks) try your gun.

Otherwise, you need to go to Home Depot or any hardware store and get a heat gun. Heat the sights to melt the red loctite. It's a big pain in the ass. You might also ruin the sights trying to get them off, soooo.....find the good shooter first.

Good luck.

thopkins22
05-02-09, 18:31
Like was said, find a skilled shooter before you do anything.

What exactly do you think that turning the front sight is going to do? Unless it's physically wrong now there's no reason to change it. If the gun is truly shooting left you need to move the rear sight to the right, whether it's centered on the pistol or not.

John_Wayne777
05-02-09, 18:54
I installed the Warren 2 dot sights on my G19 a few weeks ago it took it to the range today. It shot a little to the left at 15 yards and I need to turn the front sight just a little bit.

When I have the posts lined up, the rear bottom dot is just a tad to the right of the top one.

When I have the dots lined up, the front blade is a tad on the right side of the sight picture.

The rear sight is dead center to the slide so i'm thinking I need to turn the front sight a little bit counter clockwise.

Ok....hold the phone there, chief.

1. If you do need to remove red lock-tite, a heat gun will help. Just be sure not to set anything on fire.

2. You should not be "turning" the front sight on a Glock. Ever. It is not designed to move.

Now it is possible for someone who isn't paying attention to install the front sight at an angle. Sometimes when you try to torque the screw that fits into the front sight it can cant the sight ever so slightly to the side. A competent installer knows how to prevent this.

If your front sight is canted, then you should try to fix it.

If your front sight is NOT canted, then you shouldn't be fooling with it. If your weapon is shooting to the left or right, you adjust that through moving the rear sight. It's perfectly OK if the rear sight is a little to the left or right of center on the slide. That shouldn't dramatically impact your ability to get an accurate aiming reference using the night sights.

When sighting in, you shouldn't be using the dots on the sight. You should be using the outlines of the sights themselves. Once you get things lined up using the sights, the dots will take care of themselves in low light.

johnson
05-02-09, 19:14
It does look a little canted to the left.

This is what it sort of looks like (without the cant).

Shoots to the left.
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2394&stc=1&d=1241310036

Shoots dead on when the dots are lined up and front post is a little to the right.
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2393&stc=1&d=1241310031

John_Wayne777
05-02-09, 19:25
Can you post some closeup pics of the front sight? Preferably looking down on the top of the slide. That will help us see whether or not it is turned as a result of being torqued during install.

johnson
05-02-09, 19:31
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2395&stc=1&d=1241310704

johnson
05-02-09, 19:33
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2396&stc=1&d=1241310806

John_Wayne777
05-02-09, 21:37
It looks like it's on straight to me. It's hard to tell without having the gun in front of me, however....

sff70
05-02-09, 23:59
I have found that heating the part in question with a soldering iron works good to loosen loctite.

Be warned that the tritium "inserts" in sights are "glued" in and heating them up can cause the inserts to fall out.

MisterWilson
05-03-09, 00:10
Okay, a couple of things. First off, never use RED loctite on sights. They need to be removed or adjusted so use BLUE from now on. I recently had the same problem when a gunsmith used the red.

Before you go ahead and remove them, have the best shooter you know shoot the gun. It seems odd that at 15 yards it shoots left. Did you have accurate shots at 3 or 7 yards. It might be you and not the sights. That's why have a good shooter (who shoots glocks) try your gun.

Otherwise, you need to go to Home Depot or any hardware store and get a heat gun. Heat the sights to melt the red loctite. It's a big pain in the ass. You might also ruin the sights trying to get them off, soooo.....find the good shooter first.

Good luck.

That's kinda strange because the XS Big dots actually come with red loc-tite.

As for shooting left with Glocks, it's not unheard of.

Are you using a 2-handed grip? If so, try shooting it one handed and see if it still does that. It made me realize that it was my grip that was dragging me over. When I loosen my grip (or simply push back with your supporting thumb), I move back onto target.

mark5pt56
05-03-09, 09:29
It looks straight to me as well.

Try using Kroil, place the slide upside down on a flat surface, maybe a slight angle so the rear is higher, drip some Kroil onto the hex nut and let it soak for a day, insure it stays wet by adding more if needed. Use a good steel nut driver made for sights, the brass one doesn't last.

That should loosen it up.

By the way, the instructions that came with Heinie's state to use Red. You have to remember, some of us use these weapons in places to where you can't afford for your sights to fall off.

SecretNY
05-04-09, 08:25
That's kinda strange because the XS Big dots actually come with red loc-tite.

As for shooting left with Glocks, it's not unheard of.

Are you using a 2-handed grip? If so, try shooting it one handed and see if it still does that. It made me realize that it was my grip that was dragging me over. When I loosen my grip (or simply push back with your supporting thumb), I move back onto target.

Both Warren and 10-8 recommend using blue if you are going to adjust the sights (or even remove them). I don't know why they send a tube of red loc-tite. Once it sets, that's it. It takes a lot of work to get it off (and you can ruin the sights!)