PDA

View Full Version : .22lr accuracy in 1/9 or 1/7 barrels?

mike240
05-03-09, 15:15
I have just acquired a conversion and since I have spare parts lying around, was going to dedicate it to just one upper. I do not have a 1/12 barrel lying around so I am curious about the accuracy obtained when firing through a 1/7 or 1/9. I would likley only use this for 50 yard and in training. Who has benched one in 1/7 and or 1/9.

Thanks

CryingWolf
05-03-09, 17:37
I have a 1/9 twist with a CMMG conversion kit. I put a scope on my rifle and I would say golf balls at 50 yards should be very scared.:D

Keesh
05-03-09, 18:38
My kit works well in my 1/7 within 50 yards.

Hellbilly
05-04-09, 00:06
My CMMG conversion does good to put all the shots on an IDPA target at 25 yards. I should have bought a 10-22 instead.

JeffLester
05-04-09, 00:32
Noveske 16" 1:7 chrome-lined + Spike's conversion + Federal #750 (WM 550 value pack) + T-1/Po-boy + 50 yd off pack = 11" group (550 rnds); 10" group for 95% rnds; 8" group for 90% rnds

Not as accurate as I'd like, but certainly good enough for my training purposes. A dedicated upper with .22LR specific rifling would be my choice if accuracy was important to me.

ALCOAR
05-04-09, 18:39
just for reference i bel. the special aguila SSS barrels by VQ are done with 1/9. Other than a 60 gr SSS rd. im not sure why u would want a 1/9 for such light bullets.

MX5
05-06-09, 09:06
You'll be fine using your conversion with 1/9 twist barrel. It's not the ideal twist, but work work well nonetheless. I have Ceiner & CMMG conversion in dedicated uppers that I've built. One has a 1/12 Colt bbl & the other has a 1/9 DPMS bbl. The 1/12 Colt has a slight edge in accuracy over the other at 50 yds. & in. Regardless, with either one, I'm practicing fighting skills not bullseye. Prone at 50 yds. the Colt is averaging 2.5" groups & the DPMS is averaging 4" groups. For cheap .22 LR carbine conversion fighting practice, I'm satisfied with this result.

Since mine were built to be dedicated .22 conversion blow-back uppers & won't be seeing any centerfire ammo, I eliminated the gas tube & filled the gas hole in the FSB with solder. Leave the hole in the bbl alone - it doesn't matter. If you'll be running a 2-piece, non-free floating fore end, drop a drill rod into the solder while still soft on the rear-facing horizontal hole of the FSB or gas block. This will give the fore end parts an index to eliminate excess movement.

Yes, a dedicated, purpose built non-conversion upper is more accurate, but depending on the intended use, the difference in accuracy might not be consequential to your use. YMMV - enjoy!

MX5
05-06-09, 09:20
Oh yes - use good ammo. CCI Mini Mags tend to run best. However, after ensuring it's running well, I shoot everything I can get my hands on to see what works & doesn't work in each conversion. .22s are finicky & 2 identical .22s will often perform very different from the other.

DialTone301
05-06-09, 09:22
My Spikes conversion in a RRA 1/9 is as accurate as I am out to 50 yards. I have been very happy with it.

mike240
06-06-09, 23:42
A little followup to what action I took...Despite what many say about Model1sales, I figured for a dedicated .22lr upper what parts could fail that would not fail on any other Ceiner based conversion?

I threw a cheap BSA 30mm red dot I had laying around atop the 10.5 inch M1S dedicated .22lr upper and put it on my Colt lower with a 6724 trigger group. I did not add any lube, simply unwrapped it and put it on. It was not what I would call heavy in oil, in fact less than I would typically have on my BCG. I only shot for group at 25 yards to get some kind of a zero before doing some drills.

I was impressed with the accuracy, I shot off a pack while sitting behind a table and shot a quick 5 shot group of 1/2 inch.

After the rest of the 550 round Fed bulk pack and about a 100 Remington from a bulk pack there were no stoppages at all. There was 1 failure to fire and the case indicated a good strike. Mags used were the M1S/BDM that came with the upper and 4 BDMs bought from Brownells. All ran flawlessly.

Next time I think that I will pop the Leupold (in an LT mount) off another weapon and put on the M1S upper to see what it will do at 100 yards. I disagree with others who have said that it is acceptable to have large (4, 6 or even 11 inch) groups with a .22 conversion. With groups that size you cannot diagnose your trigger control etc. I wanted something that would give me at least 2 moa and it appears that I have that.

CatmostFeared
06-08-09, 03:19
I was looking at the M1S dedicated .22lr upper do you have any pics

mike240
06-12-09, 18:24
I am sorry, as I do not have that ability at this time. There is nothing special in appearance. It has a flattop upper, standard (now old style small diameter) handguards, fixed front sight base and 10.5 inch heavy barrel. This closely matches my Mk18 Colt upper.

Another 200 rounds of Federal 'bulk pack' through it today - no issues.

Slugger
07-09-09, 22:56
I'm glad you asked as I was about to start the same thread. I've not benched mine yet but have had good results with a 1/9. Haven't tried a 1/7 yet. But the 1/9 at 25-30yds is pretty tight.
Slugger

RemMan700
08-04-09, 08:56
I was watching a vid online of a guy using a CMMG kit in his Rock River. He was hitting an 8" plate at 160yrds. Looks like a fun little kit to have.

CryingWolf
08-04-09, 10:27
I have to revise mine a little after shooting a couple of different brands I end up with softball maybe baseball size groups at 50 yards. I still need to test different types of ammo I haven't tried any CCI yet. I actually think the Winchester super X round nose 1300fps brand I got didn't hold groups too well. I didn't do any scientific measurements though. The Federal (Walmart) bulk pack seemed to do ok. I will let you know if my findings on the CCI stand out.