PDA

View Full Version : clarification on Aimpoint

sencless
01-03-07, 18:47
I've been reading every post I could find and Im still unsure about how exactly Aimpoints work...

Please correct me if I am wrong... from my understanding aimpoint optic sights do not bring the target "closer"... it just makes it easier to aim because you're looking for a red dot as aposed to making sure your irons are lined up correctly; thus speeding up the aiming process.

Does that make any sense or am I completly off the reservation? :confused:

VA_Dinger
01-03-07, 18:51
Please correct me if I am wrong... from my understanding aimpoint optic sights do not bring the target "closer"... it just makes it easier to aim because you're looking for a red dot as aposed to making sure your irons are lined up correctly; thus speeding up the aiming process.

You got it.

sencless
01-03-07, 19:02
You got it.

Ok... just checking.

One more thing... Is there some sort of chart that lists how big the impact area of the said "red dot of death" is at a certain distance?

militarymoron
01-03-07, 19:22
Is there some sort of chart that lists how big the impact area of the said "red dot of death" is at a certain distance?

2 or 4 MOA for the current models.

sencless
01-03-07, 19:23
2 or 4 MOA for the current models.

2 MOA ML3

LOKNLOD
01-03-07, 19:28
2 MOA ML3

So it's a ~2" circle @ 100 yards. 1"@50, 4"@200, and so forth.

sencless
01-03-07, 19:37
So it's a ~2" circle @ 100 yards. 1"@50, 4"@200, and so forth.

gotcha... thanks! Now anyone have some sort of aimpoint or eotech for sale? :D

C4IGrant
01-03-07, 21:37

I offer M4C member discounts on them. Shoot me an e-mail for pricing: sales@grtactical.com

LOKNLOD
01-03-07, 21:48

All of the dealers listed in the "Dealers" forums should have them. G&R, Bravo Company, ADCO, Mooneys.

And I see that Grant smelled the blood in the water first ;)

Razorhunter
01-12-07, 23:14
Gentlemen,
I'm considering an Aimpoint REAL soon.
Couple questions I need answered before I order:

1. I see there is an "ML2" (or M2 Night Vision Version) and an "ML3" (or M3 Night Vision Version)
Is this all of the models available???? I believe I saw another model in the store recently, but not sure???

2. Are these ALL 2MOA or are there other MOA ratings?

3. Is it wise for me to just buy the ML2 or ML3 model??? I assume ONLY the military would really be interested in the M2 or M3 for night vision use???
Is there any other differences between the models?

Just trying to decide which model to buy for the 16" Carbine? I don't even know the difference between the ML2 and ML3. Off to research that here soon...

BTW,
C4IGrant,
If you are reading this, and can send me the pricing info, I'd be interested, as I plan on ordering from you as SOON as I can figure out which model I should buy.... Thanks, and hope to place an order soon!!

LOKNLOD
01-12-07, 23:55
Gentlemen,
I'm considering an Aimpoint REAL soon.
Couple questions I need answered before I order:

1. I see there is an "ML2" (or M2 Night Vision Version) and an "ML3" (or M3 Night Vision Version)
Is this all of the models available???? I believe I saw another model in the store recently, but not sure???

Yes there are some other Aimpoint models you might run across. Check out this link: Aimpoint products (http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aimpoint_product_lines)

2. Are these ALL 2MOA or are there other MOA ratings?

The M(L)3 are available in 2MOA or 4MOA. The M(L)2 series are 4 MOA only.

3. Is it wise for me to just buy the ML2 or ML3 model??? I assume ONLY the military would really be interested in the M2 or M3 for night vision use???
Is there any other differences between the models?

The link above has a lot of good info to dig into all the specs, but in short, if you don't have night vision and know you won't ever get night vision, get the ML. You might also consider the C3, which is a step below the ML3 in price but seems to only to have a decreased submergence depth as a tradeoff.

The 3 series units have much increased battery life over the 2 series (50,000 vs. 10,000 hours on typical settings). But even 10,000 hours is pretty dern good.

Just trying to decide which model to buy for the 16" Carbine? I don't even know the difference between the ML2 and ML3. Off to research that here soon...

Either would be a good choice. The only real differences between the ML2 and ML3 are increased battery life in the 3 and availability of a 2MOA dot option. There are a lot of good deals on lightly used ML2's out there because people just "have" to upgrade. I opted to pick up a used ML2 and it's an excellent optic.

BTW,
C4IGrant,
If you are reading this, and can send me the pricing info, I'd be interested, as I plan on ordering from you as SOON as I can figure out which model I should buy.... Thanks, and hope to place an order soon!!
[/QUOTE]

I think Grant is at the SHOT show this weekend so you might not hear from him until he gets back.

rob_s
01-13-07, 06:05
You need to get some hands on time with one. Check around here or TOS for someone in your area that will let you check theirs out. Alot of the questions and confusion people have about the Aimpoint go away within 10 minutes of handling one.

Submariner
01-13-07, 08:57
I've bought ML2's as low as $225 (when you subtract the cost of the LaRue mount that came with it) and a 2 MOA C3 (ML3 but submergence to 5m) on this board for $340, which included a LaRue cantilever mount w/internal spare battery compartment ($140) and an Aimpoint spare battery cap ($25). Deals are out there if you are patient and know your prices.

If you need it RFN, order from Grant.:D

The 2 MOA Aimpoint is GTG if you intend to get a 3X magnifier, just like an M2/M3 is GTG if you intend to get NV. You can buy a lot of batteries for the difference in price between a used ML2 and a new ML3.;)

BTW, when new Aimpoints come on the market is a really great time to buy what recently was the "latest and greatest" as the affluent are up-grading.

Dport
01-13-07, 09:15
BTW, when new Aimpoints come on the market is a really great time to buy what recently was the "latest and greatest" as the affluent are up-grading.
Basically, how I got my two Aimpoints.