PDA

View Full Version : Jennings J-22

Archetype
05-05-09, 18:57
Alright, so they're not the most respected firearm in the handgun world, but it definitely makes for a fun and cheap plinker. I have one that was purchased by my father back in the 1980s and never got a whole lot of use. Basically lived in the bottom of the gun cabinet drawer up until about a year ago. Anyways, it's very fun, but pretty unreliable. After having played with it up at the range a few times, I've decided that it would make a great car/backup gun, if it were more reliable. It fits my hand perfectly, and I can hit a head-sized target at 15 yards with it. Do you folks have any suggestions to make it more reliable? It runs about 75% reliably with Aguila interceptors as it is.

Iraq Ninja
05-05-09, 23:47
http://mrcompletely.blogspot.com/2005/08/e-postal-with-jennings-j-22.html

Well, it is a Jennings after all. Don't expect it to ever be reliable enough to trust your life on it.

Would you fly on an airplane that had a 25% chance of crashing?

the_fallguy
05-06-09, 01:14
I always thought the "J" stood for "jam-o-matic". These guns are notorious for their unreliability in even the best conditions. I have never been around one that didn't have major feeding issues. I would look elsewhere for a back up gun, caliber aside.

Dave L.
05-06-09, 04:55
My advice: Sell it and put the money toward a Glock or M&P...shit, I would rather have a Keltec.

Archetype
05-06-09, 07:17
I just had the idea that maybe somewhere out there, someone figured out a way to make it a more reliable pistol. Don't worry, I won't be trusting my life to it as it is. It'll stay a fun, cheap range toy.

Dave Berryhill
05-06-09, 07:41
I examined a ton of these when I was doing firearms work at a crime lab. There isn't much you can do to make these into a better pistol. They are a poor design made from cheap materials. Most of the pistol is cast with a zinc or other non-ferrous metal so they are very soft. The firing pin functions as the ejector so sooner or later it will break if something else doesn't break first.

Lumpy196
05-06-09, 10:52
I've decided that it would make a great car/backup gun, if it were more reliable. It fits my hand perfectly, and I can hit a head-sized target at 15 yards with it. Do you folks have any suggestions to make it more reliable?

I just had the idea that maybe somewhere out there, someone figured out a way to make it a more reliable pistol. Don't worry, I won't be trusting my life to it as it is. It'll stay a fun, cheap range toy.

Your first post really didn't leave me guessing as to the intent of this thread.

JohnN
05-06-09, 11:53
I am surprised this question has received this many replies.