PDA

View Full Version : DPMS Barrels?

LMarshall73
05-06-09, 09:47
While waiting for my RRA uppers, I'm thinking of assembling my own. I was thinking of picking up one of the BCM upper receivers and using a DPMS Kitty Kat barrel. I haven't been able to find much infoon the DPMS barrels and am wondering if they are okay to work with (especially for someone putting together their first upper). Is much tuning needed? My primary concern is that the DPMS barrels are the only ones I've found in stock, so I'm wondering if there's a reason for that. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

DRich
05-06-09, 09:57
I had a Kitty Kat on one of my SBR's for a while and it ran fine with M193. The muzzle blast was painful and it's almost useless for anything other than plinking due to the low velocity...but it was a fun toy for a while.

Just be sure you only use it on a pistol lower or a registered SBR to avoid a felony. :)

LMarshall73
05-06-09, 10:05
Yeah. I have 2 lowers built. Both are set up as pistols, but I am going to be submitting the paperwork to SBR one of them in the next couple of weeks. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be a complete waste of money.

DRich
05-06-09, 10:37
I should have mentioned that I had the chamber on mine reamed to 5.56 before I ever fired it. I don't know if it would have been as reliable had I not.

bkb0000
05-06-09, 11:27
of all inconsistently chambered barrels, DPMS seems to be one of the most consistently inconconsistent.

LMarshall73
05-06-09, 11:45
of all inconsistently chambered barrels, DPMS seems to be one of the most consistently inconconsistent.

That's reassuring! Is it that they aren't properly chambered for the indicated chambering, are the barrels unmarked and randomly .223 or 5.56, or are the tolerances just generally shitty?

DRich
05-06-09, 11:45
Is it that they aren't properly chambered for the indicated chambering, are the barrels unmarked and randomly .223 or 5.56, or are the tolerances just generally shitty?

Yes. :D

But reaming is cheap.

LMarshall73
05-06-09, 11:53
Fan-freaking-tastic!! I guess that explains why those are the only pistol barrels I can find.

Did DPMS's quality control start slipping recently? It seems like several years ago they were one of the more popular manufacturers.

bkb0000
05-06-09, 11:55
Fan-freaking-tastic!! I guess that explains why those are the only pistol barrels I can find.

Did DPMS's quality control start slipping recently? It seems like several years ago they were one of the more popular manufacturers.

they still are really popular... thats the sad part

DRich
05-06-09, 12:20

Their quality has always been spotty and they've always been popular. Low price will win popularity contests most of the time.

ST911
05-06-09, 12:21
Did DPMS's quality control start slipping recently?

No, it was never very good.

As bkb0000 noted, "consistently inconsistent."

It seems like several years ago they were one of the more popular manufacturers.

They still are. Most folks don't know what they don't know, or shoot enough to learn it.

LMarshall73
05-06-09, 12:28
Their quality has always been spotty and they've always been popular. Low price will win popularity contests most of the time.

This would also explain how Century has managed to survive. One of my Century AK's is spotty quality-wise, but functional. My other 2 Century guns (SBR'd AK pistol and a PSL) are excellent from a quality standpoint.

C4IGrant
05-06-09, 12:47
I would pass on them.

C4

ST911
05-06-09, 12:59
Credit where credit is due... You can find a GTG 5.56 barrel from DPMS, but they're the exception not the rule.

A buddy has not only one, but two of them. One runs on an M16 frankengun, the other on a carbine. The former shoots everything, all day long. The latter passed Ned's 5.56 gauge with flying colors...unreamed, and shoots as well.

Broken record...consistently inconsistent.