PDA

View Full Version : Rented HK P30/45/P2000 and Sig 220 today

seang
05-06-09, 14:41
I found a range an hour away that rents over 50 different guns. I rented the HK P30 with LEM trigger. They also had the da/sa for rent, but I wanted to try the LEM again. I also rented the HK 45 da/sa, P2000 da/sa .40 and the Sig 220R with external extractor.

The P30 had the LEM trigger and it was awesome. I had one malfunction. The casing ejected properly, but the slide didn't go forward all the way causing a fail to feed. I can't tell you why it occurred, but I don't think I caused it in anyway either. I was the most accurate after the first shot of the LEM. This was different than 2 years ago when I tried the P2000 with LEM. Then I liked the first shot best. After the first shot I could put 3 shots in an area the size of a quarter. Most shooting was done at 7 yards, so nothing spectacular here. I also shot it at 15 yards and was satisfied with the groupings also.

I had tried the LEM before on a P2000 and didn't care for it, but I liked it today. I never thought I would like the mag release, but it was very quick using the middle finger. In fact, I think I would choose the P30 mag releases over others.

The sights suck! When night sights are available I hope they just don't change the inserts, i would also prefer a different shaped sight, but at least get ride of those silly sights.

The HK 45 was more pleasant than I thought it would be to shoot. The double action pull seemed short, but very heavy. I had no problems with the safety/decocker, but would go with the LEM. When first holding the gun I thought it was way too thick in the grip and would be uncomfortable to shoot, but it wasn't. The bottom of the trigger guard irritated my trigger finger at first, but I didn't notice it after the first mag or two. I didn't notice this on the P30.

I didn't like the p2000. I don't mind the decocker, or mag release, but the grip isn't as nice as the other two and the gun seemed harder for me to hang onto. This isn't a gun I would want to shoot with sweaty hands like I did. The range got warm real quick. This was a .40 caliber which I normally shoot, but after shooting the 9 and 45 and 40 in a short period of time, I can see why people don't care for the .40 as much.

The Sig 220 had an external extractor. It's the first I've seen one, as the gun shops in my area have ones with internal extractors. The gun shot great and I was the most accurate with it.

The H&K P30 was by far the most comfortable gun for me to shoot. I could get used to the LEM trigger real quick. If I could carry 9mm on duty, I would chose this gun in a heartbeat. I wouldn't hold the malfunction against the gun because I have no idea on how many rounds are through the gun and what type of maintenance was done on it. It didn't look very dirty though. Sights suck, get some real ones on there and this would be the "go to gun."

The HK45 would also be a worthy consideration. I wish it was smaller,but I think I would like the grip much better than the HK45C, as I didn't like the 2000 grip. I would not want a bigger pistol than the HK45.

I liked the 220R, I know people say not to trust Sig QC anymore, but I think you have a better chance of getting a 220R external extractor to work out of the box than you do many 1911's, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be afraid to carry a new Sig, but I would want to really put it through it's paces before I trusted it for carry, as any gun, but more so with a Sig.

H&K, put some real night sights on that gun and start putting more LEM's on dealer shelves than the da/sa and you will have a real winner. I think it is the most comfortable grip in the industry and once you figure out how to work that mag release you have a quick, safe, easy to operate gun.

gtmtnbiker98
05-07-09, 10:05
I second your assessment on the P30, I simply love mine, but it's a V3 (I prefer DA/SA).