PDA

View Full Version : Front sight post visibility upgrades

ZDL
05-06-09, 21:47
I searched didn't see anything.

I read Todd G's Trimbrite suggestion but went everywhere and couldn't find it. Anyone other suggestions for increasing the visibility of a pistol front sight sans buying a new/different sight?

bkb0000
05-06-09, 22:12
nothing permanent. in the army we'd use things like Sharpie silver or white

i havent had much luck yet finding a good durable enamel that works on park, but regular krylon blaze orange will light the ****er up for a while

ZDL
05-06-09, 22:19
nothing permanent. in the army we'd use things like Sharpie silver or white

i havent had much luck yet finding a good durable enamel that works on park, but regular krylon blaze orange will light the ****er up for a while

Might have to go this way as I want it up for this weekend.

murphy j
05-06-09, 22:36
I've been known to use liquid paper if I want white and there's a multitude of paint pen colors out there. You can find them at Hobby Lobby or other similar places.

ZDL
05-06-09, 22:39
I've been known to use liquid paper if I want white and there's a multitude of paint pen colors out there. You can find them at Hobby Lobby or other similar places.

You just scrape it off when you are done?

murphy j
05-06-09, 22:45
Pretty much. The liquid paper comes off pretty easy and even easier if you're helping it. I did have to re-apply it kinda regular, but it worked. If you're only needing it for the weekend then I think you'll be alright. Paint pens took a little more work, but it will come off.

ZDL
05-06-09, 22:46
Pretty much. It comes off pretty easy and even easier if you're helping it. I did have to re-apply it kinda regular, but it worked. If you're only needing it for the weekend then I think you'll be alright.

Great. Thanks. Feel kinda dumb that I didn't think about trying that myself. :o

murphy j
05-06-09, 22:51
Great. Thanks. Feel kinda dumb that I didn't think about trying that myself. :o

Your most welcome. I'd forgotten about it till you brought the subject up and it reminded me of another idea I've had for do-it-yourself sights. Luminescent paint. The kind that is used in watches. I'm going to try that on my G19 factory front sight until I can afford some Warrens:D.

montanadave
05-07-09, 00:10
There's an outfit called BrightSights (http://www.BrightSights.com/index.shtml) that markets sight paints with luminescent paints.

dirksterg30
05-07-09, 07:36
I just use Testors enamel model paint. I find the florescent orange works best over a coat of the white paint. Just make sure you degrease the front sight first.

bkb0000
05-07-09, 10:36
I just use Testors enamel model paint. I find the florescent orange works best over a coat of the white paint. Just make sure you degrease the front sight first.

i havent been able to get that stuff to stick- but i havent tried priming it. i wanted to paint another part with the blaze orange, and it all basically just rubbed off

JohnN
05-07-09, 11:36
I searched didn't see anything.

I read Todd G's Trimbrite suggestion but went everywhere and couldn't find it. Anyone other suggestions for increasing the visibility of a pistol front sight sans buying a new/different sight?

Here you go http://pistol-training.com/articles/the-johno-diy-high-visibility-front-sight

M1A2_Tanker
05-07-09, 22:53
http://www.unitednuclear.com/glow.htm

Scroll down, you'll find 4 oz. paint for $10. This stuff was developed for NASA to use in space. It has about a 24 hour glow. If you need a low/no light sight that is.

-Wes-
05-07-09, 23:50
Can also raid your girlfriend/ wife's nail polish supply.:D I've used hot red nail polish to mark the bottoms of my Glock mags with dots like dominoes. They've held up a long time.

dwhitehorne
05-08-09, 08:12
Can also raid your girlfriend/ wife's nail polish supply.:D I've used hot red nail polish to mark the bottoms of my Glock mags with dots like dominoes. They've held up a long time.

This is what I use on the front sight of handguns. White really helps for me against black targets. I've had it last on a few hand guns for over a year. David

Sam
05-08-09, 09:30
The cheapest and easiest to find paint for front sights are available in your local hardware stores. No need to get high tech fancy schmancy. My buddy Headhunter recommended this to me and we have painted dozens of sights.

You'll need two cans of paint. One is a base flat white color, the other is whatever color that is the brightest for YOUR EYES. People's eyesights are different and some can see certain color better than another. The two most visible color spectrums are orange and green. Not OD green, not camo green, I'm talking about Gatorade green. I prefer orange. The kind that construction or Department of Transportation workers use to mark stuff with. The Gatorade green is good too.

The white paint can be any flat white. Use it as a base, paint one or two coats of it on the sight post.

Then apply the colored paint on top of the base.

Cost is less than $10 and you can reapply the paint as you need.

DBR
05-08-09, 18:35
If paint won't stick to park either it is not park or it has been treated with something. Parkerizing is the industry standard base for the best polymer type gun coatings.

Try degreasing it with acetone, available at most hardware stores. I have tried the "worlds best glow in the dark" stuff referenced earlier. It glows like crazy for a while but is very unimpressive in regular light.

The Brightsights kit available here:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1480&title=BRIGHTSIGHTS%20GUN%20SIGHT%20COATING

Is the best I have found. The suggestion to paint white first and then color over is good. It makes the color more intense.

Testors model paint works well and so does acrylic nail polish.

bkb0000
05-08-09, 22:26
If paint won't stick to park either it is not park or it has been treated with something. Parkerizing is the industry standard base for the best polymer type gun coatings.

you're absolutely right- the test part wasn't park, it was anodize. the enamel does suck, though- it rubbed off like some kind of really thick powdercoat. should have been hard and flakey.

Left Sig
05-09-09, 13:42
I replaced my A2 front sight post with an XS Fine White Stripe post. Along with the XS Same Plane Rear Aperture, my iron sight accuracy improved quite a bit.