PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Sealant Info

Razorhunter
05-06-09, 22:01
-In regards to Hornady 5.56 TAP #8126N (one of my fav's):

1. -Does this 8126N have sealed primers and case necks? I think I have seen
slight remnance of a very little bit of red "sealer?" around the primer, but
I'm still unsure about the primers AND the case necks on this load???

2. Is primer sealant the same sealant used up at the case neck on most ammo?

3. Can I be assured that the sealant WILL PREVENT ANY lube/oil OR water from
EVER penetrating the primer pocket area/ OR the bullet/case neck area???
How about SUBMERSION?

4. In regard to UNSEALED ammo, would it be possible for oil OR lube to penetrate
the primer pocket/area, thus causing an unsealed primer to FAIL to FIRE??
(Referring mainly to dripping wet bcg's/bolts/actions, stored with a round
chambered for a fairly long period of time?)

5. Does anyone know of a source for 75gr Hornady 5.56 TAP #8126N?
I don't need thousands upon thousands. Just a source with a little
in stock would be nice. DIRECT EMAIL or PM if possible guys.

jmart
05-06-09, 22:38
I don't know the answers to your questions, but several years ago I reloaded some cases with the wrong primers. I realized my mistake but I wanted to save the cases so I had to deprime the live primers.

I was very reluctant to go straight to a decapping die, so I tossed all the primed cases (just open-mouthed cases that were primed, I'm not talking loaded ammo) in a container of Ed's Red solvent. This is equal parts acetone, mineral spirits, kerosense and auto tranny fluid. I let them sit at least 3-4 days, maybe until the next weekend. I figured there's no way that the solvent wouldn't penetrate the primer and render it a dud.

Anyway, fast forward to depriming day. Out in my garage, I donned my safety goggles and very gingerly began depriming the cases. No sudden jerks, just slow, steady pressure build on the handle until the primer popped from the case. No issues whatsoever, all was good. The last case, just for giggles, I chambered it. Pointed gun in safe direction, cocked hammer and pulled trigger. Primer detonated with quite a bit of authority, flame shot out end of barrel.

I'm not saying shopping for sealed ammo isn't a bad idea, but if you are going to shoot it in a rotation, I wouldn't sweat it. If I were stockpiling ammo for several years down the road, then I'd be more concerned, but if you're going to shoot it in six months or less, just go with ammo that's known, good quality, and if it's sealed, that's a bonus, but I wouldn't consider it a "threshold" requirement.

Jim from Houston
05-07-09, 00:29
Current lots of 5.56 TAP T2 do have sealed primers and case necks, in general, although older batches, and evidently the odd current batch don't have sealed necks - which is info that I got from Molon, who is the man to ask in such matters.

Primer sealant and mouth sealant are usually very different, in general. Primer sealant is usually a lacquer, sort of like nail polish, while the mouth sealant is usually an asphalt type...if you want to seal the mouths of reloads, go to an orchard supply store and get the asphalt seal that you put on tree branches after you prune them, it's basically the same stuff...the case mouth sealant that is seen on newer 5.56 TAP looks different from the usual asphalt...don't know what they use.

In tests that I've seen, properly sealed ammo could withstand full immersion without an issue...this obviously may vary depending on how good a job the manufacturer did with the seal.

The 5.56 TAP T2 is carried by places like "Ammunition To Go" when its available...ammo stocks are just low across the board, but just keep checking and they'll eventually get it in...last time I bought 5.56 TAP from AtG I paid $169 per 200 rounds.

Check out this post by Molon regarding the 5.56 TAP T2
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26127&page=3

chadbag
05-07-09, 03:16
I cannot speak for Hornady or any other loaded ammo, and I cannot find the article now -- must have tossed the magazine -- but an article I read about a year ago tested primer sealants.

They sealed some ammo they loaded and some they just loaded without sealing. Both were submersed in water for multiple days. None failed to go off. All went bang. None seemed to suffer any leakage into the powder or primer area as all went bang AND performed the way they were supposed to.

Razorhunter
05-07-09, 06:53
Thanks guys, and BTW, Jim From Houston,
Thanks for the 5.56 TAP T2 info. I am now trying to determine if my 5.56 TAP T2 (probably a couple/few years old at most) has the sealed mouth and primers?
I'm almost certain I can physically SEE the reddish colored primer sealant, but I cannot see a thing at the mouth/case neck area, and I would like to know for SURE, IF I should be able to see the sealant at the case neck on 5.56 TAP T2???
Guess I'll contact Molon.
I remember someone did some SERIOUS writeups on all the TAP rounds, with pics, etc, and that thread was all over this forum and TOS. Maybe it was from Molon, maybe not. However, I will have to search for it later when I return from work.
Thanks guys for the info, and all comments appreciated.

Are you supposed to be able to physically SEE the mouth/case neck sealant on Hornady 5.56 TAP T2 (#8126N)????

markm
05-07-09, 12:29
Are you supposed to be able to physically SEE the mouth/case neck sealant on Hornady 5.56 TAP T2 (#8126N)????

Nope.

The only way to tell is to pull the bullet. The need for sealant is way over-hyped.

Iraqgunz
05-07-09, 13:41
If you are a member of Dolphin Team 10 it may be important.

Nope.

The only way to tell is to pull the bullet. The need for sealant is way over-hyped.

markm
05-07-09, 15:00
If we start talking about vacuum packing ammo like those goobers on TOS, I'm giving up on gun owners and joining Barry to sink this country.

UVvis
05-07-09, 15:04
Would vacuum packing in addition to sealing keep the ammo in a better state for long term storage?

markm
05-07-09, 15:41
Would vacuum packing in addition to sealing keep the ammo in a better state for long term storage?

That's what I do! I have to though... I bury my ammo all over the place!

Jim from Houston
05-07-09, 16:02
That's what I do! I have to though... I bury my ammo all over the place!

:D LOL

In all seriousness though, anything more than an ammo can with a few dessicant packs is excessive when storing ammo...it's not like we're talking about fragile fine bone China plates or something...I've seen ammo from World War One that was stored in cardboard boxes in a attic that worked just fine (granted, those had corrosive Berdan primers which pretty much last forever) But most ammo is pretty durable stuff...

Oh, and if people are really burying stuff in the backyard, the proper way to do that is with lengths of PVC sewer pipe, heat sealed on both ends.

:p

WS6
02-05-15, 03:18
Nope.

If ammo gets wet, it matters. To test this I dropped a round of Hornady GMX 5.56 TAP into a glass of water. Got it out a few hours later and the powder inside was clumped when I pulled the bullet.

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone knows of anyone loading a properly sealed TSX type round?

markm
02-05-15, 08:21
If ammo gets wet, it matters. To test this I dropped a round of Hornady GMX 5.56 TAP into a glass of water.

That's ammo getting submerged for a significant amount of time.... verses getting rained on or something more realistic. Most guys won't ever hae their ammo submerged.