PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the new VIS I,II,III by Vltor.

MountainM4A1
01-04-07, 20:22
I like the looks of them. I have never held one, so I have no valid opinion.

How do you think these rate compared to the LMT and the (for now unseen) LaRue?

Just wondering. :p

Derek_Connor
01-04-07, 20:56
Tough question to be honest. I have one of their VIS-1 and MUR products.

In regards to the monolithic, I have no real hard data to support one over the other. I would imagine the waxing and waning between customers comes down to the following:

MRP is truly "quicker" change than the VIS

MRP requires MRP specific barrel with thier extensions, and they are available only 5.56, 6.8 with varying SS-CL, length configurations

VIS uses standard barrels, but is not defined as quick change, but you can use any standard ar15 barrel

I have heard some people grumble about the VIS not being t-marked, but it doesn't bother me. It should be interesting to see the larue offering here after SHOT

I am not going to sum up my experience with the VIS as a typical "fit and finish is great!" ;) but I have the VIS barrled in a 7.5 noveske barrel, and the gun still makes me smile everytime I take it to the range, and and it makes everyone else who shoots it, smile even larger for the first time.

If I ever get to the point and "shoot out" my 7.5 barrel, I like to know that I can change it out to another 7.5 in maybe 6.8, or another short barrel of my choosing, in alot less time than a standard AR15 Upper

Dan GSR
01-05-07, 03:37
i personally think they look great
and will probably get one sometime this year

SHIVAN
01-05-07, 10:53
I like the looks of them, but to be honest I will wait until LaRue brings out a competitor before making my decision on which to buy.

SethB
01-05-07, 11:22
The VIS is both heavier and more expensive than a Larue or similar float rail, but it solves forever the problem of a spinning tube and allows the use of, say, two M68 mounts rather than an SPR-E. That makes the weight difference negligible in some applications while retaining the advantages of the monolithic rail.

Just a thought.