PDA

View Full Version : MID LENGTH MOE HANDGUARDS

Cagemonkey
05-07-09, 18:55
I know Magpul is extremely busy. I was just wondering if they plan on making a mid length MOE handguard. Not looking for any time frame. I know better. Just wondering if its going to happen. No sense wishing for what will never be.

Oscar 319
05-07-09, 22:33
+1 Me too.

Vic303
05-08-09, 09:46
Me too! (For DH of course!)

Spooky130
06-15-09, 19:21
I'm wonderin' the same thing... Any chance of this happening or is it impossible?

Spooky

Cagemonkey
06-15-09, 19:35
Glad to see this thread is still alive. Hopefully with the increased availability of BCM middy uppers, we can get this thread to pick up some steam.

signal4l
06-15-09, 20:32
I would buy a pair

CAR-AR-M16
06-19-09, 10:03
I would like a set of full length MOE handguards.

Fire_Medic
07-06-09, 19:46
I would be in on a set of mid length MOE's as well.

JHC
07-07-09, 08:37
Me too.

Trumpet
07-21-09, 20:13
I'd be in for at least two

Heavy Metal
07-21-09, 20:47
Look, I know Magpul will neither confirm nor deny but I wold wager my first born these are absolutely in the works.

Magpul didn't get this far by being stoopid and not making these when the demand is so strong would be just that.

I say rest easy and be patient.

SeriousStudent
07-21-09, 22:08
I would purchase two sets.

bradb55
08-12-09, 23:10
bumping this up for all the mid length guys.

I'm in for a set.

I bet will see a Stickman photo right before they'll be released.

johnlee
08-13-09, 03:17
I'll take a set in OD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MichaelD
08-27-09, 18:06
Mark me down for a set.

ARCRAZY
08-27-09, 20:51
I'm in for two myself

tirod
10-29-09, 12:49
Magpul mid-length handguards in black, FDE, FG, and Barbie pink will be announced at the 2010 SHOT show January, 2010.

In my dreams.

I'm an AR builder, but I can wait, if I have to, I guess.

usmcvet
11-21-09, 19:47
I'd like a pair in Black and a pair in FDE!

HeavyDuty
11-21-09, 20:00
I'm really impressed with my new MOE HG, and I'm planning a midlength build. Yes!

DULLYJAY
11-22-09, 20:04
I'll buy a set too.

bradb55
11-24-09, 18:51
Just reminding Magpul we're still waiting. :o

usmcvet
11-24-09, 19:12
I am too. I really want to pull the trigger on a BCM mid length upper with a hammer forged barrel and would love to have a set of MOE hand guards to fit.

DrDrake
11-25-09, 10:18
;)......

johnlee
12-07-09, 01:10
;)......

:eek::eek::eek::eek: for real?

JHC
12-07-09, 05:30
SHOTSHOWSHOTSHOWSHOTSHOW!!!!!!!!:p

teufeldog
12-07-09, 13:55
Thanks DrDrake, those smileys say a lot. What I like about the MOE handguards is that they provide uber bang-for-the-buck. They are the absolute best low cost, high value, solution to getting a few accessories on the weapon.

Go4broke
12-07-09, 14:28
;)......

My BCM mid-length upper is waiting patiently for a Moe mid-length HG. ;)

Heavy Metal
12-07-09, 16:22
;)......

TRANSLATION:

"Look, Ray Charles can see we are going to make these, stop bugging us and wait till after SHOT or Santa will put a lump of melted TAPCO in your stocking!"

beren74
12-07-09, 17:18
I was considering replacing my black standard handguards for a fde standard recently, but my BCM mid-length and I can wait for a MOE...

Mark71
12-07-09, 17:43
Can't wait for the Middy MOE hand guards!

bradb55
12-07-09, 17:55
TRANSLATION:

" or Santa will put a lump of melted TAPCO in your stocking!"

Damn man that was funny:D.

bradb55
04-06-10, 20:31
Does anyone have an exact release date for these?????? I've seen the pic that said summer '10. Midway has then backordered.

sparky241
04-06-10, 20:47
im not 100% but i believe July

SpookyPistolero
05-02-10, 11:43
Must... have.... midlength MOE handguards....

Zeus
05-02-10, 19:26
Shit you not... waiting on the MOE mid-length to start my mid-length build! :mad:

Mark71
05-04-10, 08:10
Midway USA is showing the Mid-Length MOE black hand guard In-Stock availability date as 5/5/2010. For those who really want one, they accept back orders and ship out asap once it comes in. Other colors are also available.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=350311

It would be nice to see them available this month :)

SpookyPistolero
05-04-10, 10:09
Thanks Mark! Just placed an order for some, so we'll see when the arrive/ship.

PrivateCitizen
05-04-10, 10:12
Def looking for FDE.

Not sure what to think of Midway availability dates though …

We shall see …

SpookyPistolero
05-04-10, 12:16
Def looking for FDE.

Not sure what to think of Midway availability dates though …

We shall see …

Me either. I want one whenever they come out anyway, so no big deal if they're wrong (they don't charge till they ship at Midway). But I do wonder if that was a date from a previous forecast and they just haven't updated things.

SpookyPistolero
05-05-10, 11:04
Midway has changed the expected delivery date to 5/20 on these.

Zeus
06-05-10, 18:01
...how about now?

Sierrahotel83
06-05-10, 20:25
It is now at 6/14...

johnlee
06-06-10, 07:55
I want a set in od so I'm planning on a long wait yet.

No hurry, I still have allot of ammo to buy.

Striker5
06-06-10, 12:04
Put me in for a set.

MistWolf
06-25-10, 10:15
I want middie and rifle length MOE handguards. MagPull, you listening?

CCK
06-25-10, 16:24
I really don't understand the hold up. If it was a trial ballon I think threads like this and at TOS and wevo have shown serious demand.

Magpul really seems to be dropping the ball here. The MOE carbine length handguards work well how hard can it possibly be to make them 2 inches and 5 inches longer?

New molds yada yada yada, BS.

If they can't afford the molds don't tease with "coming summer '10".

Magpul has become a vaporware company.

Apple doesn't announce a product until 2 weeks-1 month before it comes out.

Magpul could learn something from them.

Chris

chadbag
06-25-10, 16:35
Summer just started like 4 days ago guys...

I have seen them on a gun that a Magpul guy had at a class. He mentioned the black coming out pretty soon. Colors are a ways out. Black is 70% roughly of their sales so gets the most attention. Each color, as I understand it, needs its own mold as the coloring agents affect things like shrink rate etc.

I don't have any inside info. Just what the Magpul guy said at a class I was recently at.

CCK
06-25-10, 17:30
Summer just started like 4 days ago guys...

I have seen them on a gun that a Magpul guy had at a class. He mentioned the black coming out pretty soon. Colors are a ways out. Black is 70% roughly of their sales so gets the most attention. Each color, as I understand it, needs its own mold as the coloring agents affect things like shrink rate etc.

I don't have any inside info. Just what the Magpul guy said at a class I was recently at.

I'm not disputing that "summer" just started. I think the lead time from announcement at SHOT concurrent pics that Stick posted to today and still no product available is bad for business.

Its one thing if you are releasing a firearm. (Which they screwed the pooch on.)

These are thirty dollar handguards, they don't need to be tested like they're shuttle components.

Look at the AFG. They were available I believe the day the announcement happened.

I've seen pathetic souls on TOS post pictures of rifles that are complete short of handguards. Because they were waiting for these pieces of plastic.

Chris

chadbag
06-25-10, 17:39
I'm not disputing that "summer" just started. I think the lead time from announcement at SHOT concurrent pics that Stick posted to today and still no product available is bad for business.

Its one thing if you are releasing a firearm. (Which they screwed the pooch on.)

These are thirty dollar handguards, they don't need to be tested like they're shuttle components.

Look at the AFG. They were available I believe the day the announcement happened.

I've seen pathetic souls on TOS post pictures of rifles that are complete short of handguards. Because they were waiting for these pieces of plastic.

Chris

Good thing you are not in business in the manufacturing sector. Magpul said "Summer 10" and from what I have been told, they are on track for that. What more do you want?

CCK
06-25-10, 17:43
Good thing you are not in business in the manufacturing sector. Magpul said "Summer 10" and from what I have been told, they are on track for that. What more do you want?

I am actually in the manufacturing sector.

Chris

chadbag
06-25-10, 17:46
I am actually in the manufacturing sector.

Chris

Then you should know it is more than just a quick plastic squirt to get the finished product out. And that they have a whole raft of products they are working on.

CCK
06-25-10, 17:47
And that's a canard too.

BCM

Rainier Arms

Denny's Guns

Gear Sector

Ergo/Falcon

All of the above companies show something when it is immediately available for purchase.

chadbag
06-25-10, 17:53
And your point is? Would you rather nothing be said at all so people cannot make plans? I would rather see what they realistically plan on coming out with this year so I can plan. As long as they realistically expect to ship it in 2010, as long as they have realistic forecasts on when, I would like to see it as early as possible.

SHOT comes once a year. People want to get their money's worth at SHOT and for many that means showing their complete expected lineup for the year at SHOT.

Magpul is so far no where near late on these. Come back and complain in October is they are not out yet.

CCK
06-25-10, 18:01
Then you should know it is more than just a quick plastic squirt to get the finished product out. And that they have a whole raft of products they are working on.

Thats not true it really is a squirt of plastic.

Now it may not make sense to do those squirts until you have guaranteed orders for 10k of them. I get that.

And again these are $30 handguards at likely 2-5 times cost. This is a high margin product.

It should have been outsourced if need be.

Chris

CCK
06-25-10, 18:03
And your point is? Would you rather nothing be said at all so people cannot make plans? I would rather see what they realistically plan on coming out with this year so I can plan. As long as they realistically expect to ship it in 2010, as long as they have realistic forecasts on when, I would like to see it as early as possible.

SHOT comes once a year. People want to get their money's worth at SHOT and for many that means showing their complete expected lineup for the year at SHOT.

Magpul is so far no where near late on these. Come back and complain in October is they are not out yet.

AFG was released outside of SHOT.

I think Magpul needs to decide what they are.

If they are accessory manufacturers or accessory designers.

chadbag
06-25-10, 18:28
Thats not true it really is a squirt of plastic.

NO R&D? No testing? No mold manufacturing?

Now it may not make sense to do those squirts until you have guaranteed orders for 10k of them. I get that.

They know they will get 10k or whatever they need to get to make this worth it. I don't believe that is an issue.

And again these are $30 handguards at likely 2-5 times cost. This is a high margin product.

Except that most of what they sell they sell through dealers. So subtract out whatever the dealer and wholesaler costs are

It should have been outsourced if need be.

Chris

CCK
06-25-10, 18:43
NO R&D? No testing? No mold manufacturing?

They know they will get 10k or whatever they need to get to make this worth it. I don't believe that is an issue.

Except that most of what they sell they sell through dealers. So subtract out whatever the dealer and wholesaler costs are

R&D? They have done the R&D its called the carbine length. These are handguards, not sights, not a rifle. NO ONE with any brains would run a PEQ2 on top of these.

And do you mean to tell me 2 weeks after the carbine length went on sale and got the huge response they did that they weren't immediately thinking mids and rifles?

I believe they can sell 10k of anything too.

Margin? Thats why my huge leeway, 2-6 times

I have some cheap watches sitting here on my counter of my store.

They are from China. They cost me $8, I retail them for 25.

The Chinese copied, manufactured, shipped and I had them here about 4 weeks from when the big name brand came out with them.

Sierrahotel83
06-25-10, 19:52
R&D? They have done the R&D its called the carbine length. These are handguards, not sights, not a rifle. NO ONE with any brains would run a PEQ2 on top of these.

And do you mean to tell me 2 weeks after the carbine length went on sale and got the huge response they did that they weren't immediately thinking mids and rifles?

I believe they can sell 10k of anything too.

Margin? Thats why my huge leeway, 2-6 times

I have some cheap watches sitting here on my counter of my store.

They are from China. They cost me $8, I retail them for 25.

The Chinese copied, manufactured, shipped and I had them here about 4 weeks from when the big name brand came out with them.

First this is the closest it has come to the date without it changing on Midwayusa...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=350311

Also Im sure the rifle and midlength would require their own set of R&D due to the length they would need a little different structural make up than the carbine to make it less flexible and more sound... I say this because I just took a set of rifle handguards and held them together and flexed them then took a set of carbine handguards and tried the same they do not flex... all this to say that they have to be made a little different to give them stability and if you have to change the make up of them, i.e. length and some areas to make them less flexible the you will have to test them just as much as the first... also I am sure that they are quite busy with other projects and products... sometimes you have to put out the products that are already released...

CCK
06-25-10, 19:54

Like I said

chadbag
06-25-10, 22:59

Uhh, besides the fact that the mid length and rifle length need their own R&D etc, the similar carbine ones are not shipping yet either. The mid length and rifle are brothers to the new carbine length ones, not the original.

And in case you did not notice, the original carbine ones came out in the middle of the post election rush if I remember correctly, and Magpul had its plate full trying to meet magazine demand.

They were promised for Summer 10, and summer is barely 4 days old, and people are bitching and moaning. Give me a friggin break.

kmrtnsn
06-25-10, 23:28
I am by no means an expert on the manufacture of molded plastic products but I did learn a thing or two while in school.

I imagine that making something as simple as a handguard requires a substantial investment in tooling, raw materials, time, labor, and capital. In order to generate the capital or to understand the amount of capital required for such a project or product one needs to gauge market response. That means teasing the market for feedback and interest. Once those metrics are evaluated the justification for a production run can be made and whether or not the venture will be profitable, then materials are ordered, tooling made, and test batches done. This takes time, and money. How many of you have the time and resources for just this small portion of the process? I imagine just having a prototype made for these hits the high 6 figures. Now if the prototype for the mid-length handguards is six figures and the rifle handguard is the same multiply that across the product line for all of the items that Magpul is bringing to market this year. That is no small feat in terms of engineering and capitalization, especially in this economy.

The last time I looked Magpul had about 20 full-time employees and had annual revenues under $2,000,000.00, What they do with what they have is nothing less than amazing. I think Magpul deserves just a little bit of slack if they run a few weeks behind on a couple of products.

Sierrahotel83
06-25-10, 23:29
Uhh, besides the fact that the mid length and rifle length need their own R&D etc, the similar carbine ones are not shipping yet either. The mid length and rifle are brothers to the new carbine length ones, not the original.

And in case you did not notice, the original carbine ones came out in the middle of the post election rush if I remember correctly, and Magpul had its plate full trying to meet magazine demand.

They were promised for Summer 10, and summer is barely 4 days old, and people are bitching and moaning. Give me a friggin break.
+1;)
I forgot the fact that they are different than the old in my argument as well

chadbag
06-26-10, 00:26
The last time I looked Magpul had about 20 full-time employees and had annual revenues under $2,000,000.00, What they do with what they have is nothing less than amazing. I think Magpul deserves just a little bit of slack if they run a few weeks behind on a couple of products.

I think they have annual revenues way in excess of $2,000,000.00. I won't quote any numbers but that would only be a certain number of PMAGs where the certain number is not that large in the big scheme of things (a few hundred thousand if you have a 100% markup to the MSRP from your dealer price)

kmrtnsn
06-26-10, 00:42
As I said, I hadn't looked at in a while. Even if Magpulwere doing 15 million dollars a year in sales, 2-4 million dollars in R&D, tooling, and associated expenses to bring a handful of new products to market in a year is a huge strain on their cash flow and manpower usage. Could Eguns afford to take 10-20% of its cash flow this year to funnel to a new, unproven product to sell?

chadbag
06-26-10, 00:45
As I said, I hadn't looked at in a while. Even if Magpulwere doing 15 million dollars a year in sales, 2-4 million dollars in R&D, tooling, and associated expenses to bring a handful of new products to market in a year is a huge strain on their cash flow and manpower usage. Could Eguns afford to take 10-20% of its cash flow this year to funnel to a new, unproven product to sell?

I was not disagreeing with your general idea. Just putting the $2m in perspective. I think we are on the same side.

kmrtnsn
06-26-10, 00:50
Roger that. I just found an article online from January of this year with an interview of Drake Clark that puts the company size now at 100 full-time employees.

CaptainDooley
07-08-10, 19:55
...the similar carbine ones are not shipping yet either...

Wait... the new MOE handguards are different - including the carbine length? What's different?

chadbag
07-08-10, 20:47
Wait... the new MOE handguards are different - including the carbine length? What's different?

Yes. You can probably read up here somewhere on M4C from the SHOT Show coverage but the new edition MOE Handguards are compatible with (at least some) piston systems ARs. Not a lot of difference in terms of a DI gun use (ie, both models would be fine IMHO) but the new version is supposed to be piston gun compatible (at least some models of piston gun). I have no internal knowledge on them and my disclaimer of it being some piston guns (potentially) is just a CYA on my part since I don't have details.

CaptainDooley
07-10-10, 19:44
Ah, makes no matter to me then.

chadbag
07-10-10, 19:54
Ah, makes no matter to me then.

The piston compatible are not just piston compatible. They are also made for DI guns. They just changed the design some to also accommodate some piston guns

clickclack
07-16-10, 01:40
the rifle and midlength are now on Bravo company

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Handguards-s/50.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/MAG418%20BLK-6.jpg

chadbag
07-16-10, 02:06
Out of stock

the rifle and midlength are now on Bravo company

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Handguards-s/50.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/MAG418%20BLK-6.jpg

Zeus
07-16-10, 03:26
Wow, I was excited... for a second :(

If Magpul and Bravo are listening... mid and rifle length in OD green please!!!

Sierrahotel83
07-16-10, 07:36
At least they are listed so I can now have them email me when they are in stock:cool:

Zeus
07-16-10, 07:46
First thing I did...

ForTehNguyen
07-16-10, 08:17
its a placeholder, possibly coming out soon I suppose. Bravo doesnt really post placeholders too early

do want FDE middy MOE handguards

LonghunterCO
07-16-10, 14:56
Signed up too.

sammage
07-16-10, 16:05
Had my hopes up...so close.

Dualspringfields
07-22-10, 21:27
Question can you leave the handguard cap on or is it free float?

usmcvet
07-22-10, 21:54
They are not free floating. They snap in the same way standard hand guards do.

Dualspringfields
07-22-10, 22:02
Thanks

kbi
08-19-10, 22:39
Any news on the mid length moe handguards being released ?

ColdDeadHands
08-20-10, 16:32
I can't freaking wait any longer!!! Midway say September 15th but they've been wrong before.:jester:

usmcvet
08-20-10, 20:05
I decided not to wait any longer and bought my first free float rail. So much for KISS. I hope they are out soon.

ucrt
08-20-10, 20:51
What's goofy is that there is plenty of proof that there is a market for a quality plastic modular handguard but no other quality plastic component maker (Tango Down, Ergo, CavArms, Mattel, etc.) has moved to take a market share?

Doesn't say a whole lot for US industry taking "risks".

Oh well...guess we'll wait for MagPul...

opmike
08-31-10, 21:00
I can't freaking wait any longer!!! Midway say September 15th but they've been wrong before.:jester:

Midway has been bumping up the "release date" for months now.

I don't know why they bother, they should just put in a "Coming Soon" notification.

Zeus
08-31-10, 21:34
Got a carbine class first week of Nov... I'd REALLY liked to have had some OD green by then. Now, I'd just settle for black!

Guess I'll be running the SBR instead of the middy if I can't get them in time :(

ucrt
08-31-10, 23:51
Might be some "hope"...this is the closest I've seen MidwayUSA get to their "expected delivery". It has been 9/15 for right at 4-weeks now.

I e-mailed Magpul in the Spring and they said the ML Moe's would be out in the Summer...that gives them to about September 20 to make Summer.

ucrt
09-09-10, 23:23
HEY!!!
This is the closest I have seen Midway get to a projected delivery date yet!! 6-days and counting

Maybe they'll get the Mid-Lengths in next week??

I've been on "backorder" since June. How long have some of you been on "backorder"?

bradb55
09-15-10, 10:49
Its the 15th and still not out. Guess Midway was wrong again.

MechEng
09-15-10, 11:30
HEY!!!
This is the closest I have seen Midway get to a projected delivery date yet!! 6-days and counting

Maybe they'll get the Mid-Lengths in next week??

I've been on "backorder" since June. How long have some of you been on "backorder"?

April 20th

They bumped the Date expexted in stock to the 30th of Sept.

ColdDeadHands
09-15-10, 11:36
I'll give up. Magpul already has them on their carbines and pics are on circulation for a long time now...I don't understand what's so hard about making them.

bradb55
09-15-10, 11:53
I called magpul today and the very nice lady told me they are a month or so out. Not what I wanted to hear but what can I do.

cougar_guy04
09-15-10, 19:42

I backordered a set on May 21. Doesn't matter much to me, the upper they're gonna go on is still on hold. I figure they get here when they get here.

Stickman
09-17-10, 10:36
I'll give up. Magpul already has them on their carbines and pics are on circulation for a long time now...I don't understand what's so hard about making them.

Prototypes have been run for a little while through Magpul Dynamics, there is nothing odd about having testing of a product to make sure it is dialed in before they make molds (expensive).

sadmin
09-17-10, 11:01
That, OR its a proven marketing technique.

ColdDeadHands
09-17-10, 11:25
I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that it is only 2 inches longer then their carbine hand-guard and not a complete new product.

usmcvet
09-17-10, 11:35
I gave up too and had an 11" VTAC rail put on my middy. When I buy another middy I will look for mid length MOE hand guards again. I would rather have them get it right. Same for the 40 round PMags too.

Dozer
09-17-10, 12:11
I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that it is only 2 inches longer then their carbine hand-guard and not a complete new product.

It is actually a complete new product because of the changes made to be able to fit piston systems.

ColdDeadHands
09-17-10, 15:06
It is actually a complete new product because of the changes made to be able to fit piston systems.

Apologies, I didn't know that. While we have you here; when can we expect them to hit the market?

Dozer
09-17-10, 19:19
All I can say is that we are really close. Thanks for being so patient.

Lincoln7
09-18-10, 18:37
I just purchased a Cav arms mid length handguard I found on sale to put on my new BCM middy until the backordered MOE guards from Midway come in(I patiently have an order in). The Cavs will should me over until then but I'm trying not to be anxious...

Cagemonkey
09-19-10, 19:21
Bravo Co. has Mid Length Moe Handguards on their website. Their not in stock, but this pretty much guaranties that their on their way.

Terry
09-21-10, 13:48
I have a brand new DD 14.5 ML waiting for there release.

usmcvet
09-21-10, 17:00
When they come out it will give me an excuse to get another Middy!

sadmin
09-21-10, 17:26

Utah... Gimmie two! :p
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/r3h4b/utah-1.png

opmike
09-21-10, 22:33
Bravo Co. has Mid Length Moe Handguards on their website. Their not in stock, but this pretty much guaranties that their on their way.

They've had them on the site for a long time now. I signed up for email notification when I saw them posted, and that was almost a month ago if not longer.

NickB
09-22-10, 00:07

Jimmy knows... We'll try to get you an update by the end of the week, gents. As excited as I am to see the MOE middy hand guards shipping, I personally can't wait to build a 16" Dissy with the rifle-length MOE hand guards. :cool:

Stickman
09-26-10, 12:27
Jimmy knows... We'll try to get you an update by the end of the week, gents. As excited as I am to see the MOE middy hand guards shipping, I personally can't wait to build a 16" Dissy with the rifle-length MOE hand guards. :cool:

I've heard that rumor, and like the sound of it.

ForTehNguyen
09-29-10, 23:33
WTB foliage green

Zeus
09-30-10, 05:26
OD Green ;)

usmcvet
09-30-10, 06:05
What are you guys talking about! It is almost October 2010 MOE Mid Length handguards have been out since summer 2010!

(Good natured sarcasm)

MechEng
09-30-10, 14:39
MidwayUSA now has the Black MOE Midlength in stock.

BWT
09-30-10, 16:38
MidwayUSA now has the Black MOE Midlength in stock.

Ordered my set.

SeriousStudent
09-30-10, 20:52
Mine are ordered, and on their way.

Thank you, Mr. Jimenez! :D

chadbag
09-30-10, 21:16
Yeah my stock from SHOT order arrived today as well...