PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on gas tube length, gas block holes, etc.

greywolf2112
05-07-09, 19:23
OK, have a technical question. I am getting two barrels made for my AR-15 in .300 - each will have its own upper, handguards, etc. - basically two complete uppers.

#1 is a 8" barrel, 1/8 twist, with DD Lite handguards on an ASA side-charging upper. It will be almost exclusively used for subsonic use with a suppressor.

#2 is a 16" barrel, 1/8 twist, probably with DD Lite or Omega handguards on a regular M4 flat-top upper. It will be mostly for supersonic use (2400 fps 125 gr bullets mostly) though I'd like to be able to use it for subonics as well occasionally with my suppressor.

The question is this - what length gas tube should #1 and #2 get, what diameter gas port hole do I need, and will I gain benefit from having one or the other or both have an adjustable gas block?

I've already paid a member here to make the barrels and also paid for the adjustable gas blocks.

But I want to make sure that the gas hole is sized correctly for my needs for both rifles, that the position is the proper one, and that I really do need either or both adjustable gas blocks.

What say you all?