PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Ranger "T Series" Redesigned?

Ian111
05-07-09, 20:26
I just got a new batch of Winchester Ranger RA45T and on the box it says "T Series".

I compared the new cartridges with some older RA45T I have and it looks like the bullet profile is pointier and not as rounded. The color of the hollowpoint bullet is lighter in color as well.

Has there been a redesign?

Jim from Houston
05-08-09, 01:13
Yes, there was a redesign of the Ranger T line-up that happened about a year ago...the 147gr 9mm RA9T is about the only Ranger T round that has not been changed (so far as I know). I think that most of the other Ranger T loads have now been changed over to the new design...if the box says "T-Series" it's the new design...old design will say "SXT".

Here's a press release:

http://www.winchester.com/news/newsview.aspx?storyid=196

Eliakim
05-10-09, 08:03
Has the new "T Series" Winchester Ranger RA45T been tested independently for evidence that it is indeed "the best law enforcement load" Winchester has ever produced? I thought the Ranger T series Ammo was very good as it was. I've learned that sometimes it's better not to fix things that aren't broken

Is the new improved ammo better than the good stuff they were making, or just more profitable to produce?

DeltaKilo
05-11-09, 11:46
From what i've read, the redesign with the deeper HP, etc., was to allow the bullet to expand to a larger diameter and more evenly/effectively. The data from Winchester looks good, though i don't know that Doc or anyone has done any updates on BG testing with this redesign.

DacoRoman
05-11-09, 22:32
From what i've read, the redesign with the deeper HP, etc., was to allow the bullet to expand to a larger diameter and more evenly/effectively. The data from Winchester looks good, though i don't know that Doc or anyone has done any updates on BG testing with this redesign.

I remember reading somewhere that while the new Rangers expand more, they also penetrate sub 12" is this true?

DeltaKilo
05-12-09, 07:38
I remember reading somewhere that while the new Rangers expand more, they also penetrate sub 12" is this true?

Not according to winchester's data sheets that I've seen, those indicate a typical penetration of 14" or thereabouts.

tpd223
05-12-09, 17:00
Some of the gelatin testing I have seen with the new ammo, at Winchester demos, have not been pretty. Overexpansion, low penetration, and in the .45 the jacket fragments leaving the "talons" behind.

I think this was a reaction by Winchester to the HST cutting into their business.

Visually impressive expanded bullets pulled from gello impress people who don't know what they should be looking for in ammo.

DeltaKilo
05-12-09, 17:29
Some of the gelatin testing I have seen with the new ammo, at Winchester demos, have not been pretty. Overexpansion, low penetration, and in the .45 the jacket fragments leaving the "talons" behind.

I think this was a reaction by Winchester to the HST cutting into their business.

Visually impressive expanded bullets pulled from gello impress people who don't know what they should be looking for in ammo.

Can you cite some sources for data and/or give us a better idea of the reliability. For example, I carry the new version of the Ranger, but if there's reason to suspect it for reliability (I've always had good luck with the old version and it performs reliably), I'd like to know so I can change out my ammo. :confused:

tpd223
05-12-09, 17:33
I have not seen the new Ranger-T stuff tested extensively, and I have not tested it myself.

I have been to two different LE demos where the Winchester rep fired rounds into gelatin as part of their demo. At each of these the 124gr +P 9mm round expanded big time but only went about 10" in the block, the 230gr .45 bullets also expanded big, but the tips of all the "talons" broke off early in the gelatin during the bare gelatin shots.

DocGKR
05-12-09, 20:06
We have not tested the new version, as yet...

DeltaKilo
05-12-09, 21:09
We have not tested the new version, as yet...

Can I offer to send you a box or two of the new version to test?

DocGKR
05-13-09, 00:55
Sure--we would be happy to do it for 9 mm, .40. .45 ACP.

DeltaKilo
05-13-09, 07:31
Sure--we would be happy to do it for 9 mm, .40. .45 ACP.

Cool. If you drop me a PM with where to send the stuff off to, I'll ship it off.