PDA

View Full Version : 30 round magazine improvements

Glockster35
01-04-07, 21:49
What is it that you guys are doing to make sure your magazines function properly.

I have on hand about 20, 30 round magazines (most with black GI followers, some green), and maybe 10, 20 round magazines.

I have considered buying the MagPul Gen2 followers, and tweaking them to fit the 20's, I have heard they will fit. Are these sold in bulk? I may be looking to get all 30-40 at once.

What springs are considered the best for use in magazines, I would assume we are talking about CS springs.

At this point I am not looking to buy magazines, just update those I already have.

Thanks

Robb Jensen
01-04-07, 23:48
I use Magpul followers and use Wolff +10% springs when they need replacing. For my straight 20 round mags that don't have the metal followers I just cut down the old green followers if for some reason they aren't working right.

Lately I've been buying HK and C-Products magazines.

For training and competition I use only HK mags (and occasionally a Beta-C), when loaded with 30 rounds HK mags are easy to seat on a closed bolt. Non HK mags I only ever load to 28 rounds.

Dan GSR
01-05-07, 00:40
i installed some magpul followers in some old mags
and they are now running flawlessly

before with the black followers , they would double feed, or fail to feed

Alpha Sierra
01-05-07, 06:00
Just Magpul Gen 2s in the 30 rounders. For the 20s, I stick to USGI with the metal follower. STOS.

Submariner
01-05-07, 06:11
CProducts periodically has refurb kits with CS spring, Magpul follower and floor plate for just over $2.00.

Grant-Since you sell both, what is the difference between an ISMI spring and the CProducts CS spring?

KevinB
01-05-07, 06:13
CProducts SS -- they are IMHO superior to the HK mags.
I prefer the Magpul Ranger plate and the fact they fit mag pouches better.

I've added Magpul Followers to ALL my mags (except the HK ones)

I leave 20rd Colt mags alone -- but I dont use them a lot. I have put MagPul Enhanced followers into 15 and 20rd Labelle Teflons for use in Afghan as mags for the C7CT with Mk262

Dozer
01-05-07, 12:49
I had a batch of old magazines which I rebuilt. First, I inspected the bodies to insure there were no dents or cracks. I then washed them out and repainted the bodies. I replaced the old springs with ISMI magazine springs, MagPul followers, and Magpul magazine L-plates. It was cheaper to have the magazines rebuilt than buy new ones. I hope this helps.

S/F
Libardo

KevinB
01-05-07, 12:57
I view mags as a disposable asset

My life is not worth saving a few pennies
A new CP mag is not much like $16 or so.

Hawkeye
01-05-07, 13:50
All of my GI 30's I refitted with Magpul followers and Lumpy plates, and will replace with CS springs as needed.
All of my new mags will be CProducts SS ones with CS springs and Lumpy plates.

C4IGrant
01-05-07, 13:50
CProducts periodically has refurb kits with CS spring, Magpul follower and floor plate for just over $2.00.

Grant-Since you sell both, what is the difference between an ISMI spring and the CProducts CS spring?

The CS springs that CProducts use are night and day from the ISMI springs.

C4

C4IGrant
01-05-07, 14:04
What is it that you guys are doing to make sure your magazines function properly.

I have on hand about 20, 30 round magazines (most with black GI followers, some green), and maybe 10, 20 round magazines.

I have considered buying the MagPul Gen2 followers, and tweaking them to fit the 20's, I have heard they will fit. Are these sold in bulk? I may be looking to get all 30-40 at once.

What springs are considered the best for use in magazines, I would assume we are talking about CS springs.

At this point I am not looking to buy magazines, just update those I already have.

Thanks

In your case, I would just change out the follower to a Magpul and leave everything else alone. The reason is, that after you buy a quality spring, follower and pay for shipping, you could just have gotten new mags (like Cproducts) for the same money.

As your feed lips open/crack, pull the Magpul followers out and put them in a new mag or an older mag.

C4

RAM Engineer
01-05-07, 14:04
The CS springs that CProducts use are night and day from the ISMI springs.

So what are the differences and which do you prefer and/or use in your cerakoted CS mags?

Thanks,

J

C4IGrant
01-05-07, 14:19
So what are the differences and which do you prefer and/or use in your cerakoted CS mags?

Thanks,

J

I only use ISMI springs in my mags and weapons (am a spring snob). :D

I will admit that I am 100% OVER black mags and am switching out all my mags to my Cerakoted model.

C4

-H-
01-05-07, 14:58
I've always used GI Green followers and Springs and never had any problem.

I curious as to why others have so many Magazine component failures that they feel that the GI followers and springs are flawwed.

C4IGrant
01-05-07, 15:17
I've always used GI Green followers and Springs and never had any problem.

I curious as to why others have so many Magazine component failures that they feel that the GI followers and springs are flawwed.

How many rounds do you have through your existing mags?

C4

-H-
01-05-07, 15:53
Thousands.

I generally shoot 400 rounds through my AR15's a week. Mostly Wolf M193 and Poly plus Guat as of the last year or so. I have 8 mags that are in constant use.

RAM Engineer
01-05-07, 16:28
I only use ISMI springs in my mags and weapons (am a spring snob). :D

I will admit that I am 100% OVER black mags and am switching out all my mags to my Cerakoted model.

C4

Well I must say, I received my FDE Cerakoted mags from you yesterday and they are like works of art! I know we aren't supposed to get attached to a consumable like a mag, but it will be ALMOST a shame to drop one of these!;)

I will definitely be ordering more.

C4IGrant
01-05-07, 17:25
Thousands.

I generally shoot 400 rounds through my AR15's a week. Mostly Wolf M193 and Poly plus Guat as of the last year or so. I have 8 mags that are in constant use.

Roger. Think of the magpul anti-tilt follower like car insurance. You don't ever plan on getting into an accident, but have it anyway.

You have most likely had a magazine related malfuntion, but might not have known it. The Magpul followers are just another preventitive tool that you can use to help your AR run well.

C4

C4IGrant
01-05-07, 17:25
Well I must say, I received my FDE Cerakoted mags from you yesterday and they are like works of art! I know we aren't supposed to get attached to a consumable like a mag, but it will be ALMOST a shame to drop one of these!;)

I will definitely be ordering more.

Glad you like it. A lot of effort/coordination went into them so it is nice to hear that people like it.

C4

Dan GSR
01-05-07, 18:11
i haven't seen these
got a link ?

C4IGrant
01-05-07, 18:13
i haven't seen these
got a link ?

Here you go: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=2221

C4

nyeti
01-06-07, 01:24
I use COlt mags with green followers and 'red" SAW springs. I also have a bunch of older HK mags. At some point when I need new mags, I will probably try the CP mags, as I have heard nothing but good things about them.

AR-15A3
01-06-07, 16:49
I use Magpul gen 2 followers on all my USGI mags and only loads them to 28 rounds for ease of tactical reloads on a closed bolt.

For my most used mags I also use Wolff extra power springs and Magpul Ranger or L-Plates.

I also have C Products SS mags which are easier for tactical reloads even if they're fully loaded with 30 rounds, they are a little wider internally which makes their stack height lower.

HK mags are nice but I only have one because they're expensive and I prefer the C Products SS mags.

I heard that C Products are going to offer Teflon finish of their aluminum and SS mags soon.

C4IGrant
01-06-07, 19:27
I use Magpul gen 2 followers on all my USGI mags and only loads them to 28 rounds for ease of tactical reloads on a closed bolt.

For my most used mags I also use Wolff extra power springs and Magpul Ranger or L-Plates.

I also have C Products SS mags which are easier for tactical reloads even if they're fully loaded with 30 rounds, they are a little wider internally which makes their stack height lower.

HK mags are nice but I only have one because they're expensive and I prefer the C Products SS mags.

I heard that C Products are going to offer Teflon finish of their aluminum and SS mags soon.

I have the new Cproducts SS mags with the Teflon finish in stock so they are out.

C4

graffex
01-07-07, 09:37
Which springs do you guys run in your you C-Products SS mags? The CS spring or the SS spring?

Also is there any difference between the Grey and Orange follower besided color?

C4IGrant
01-07-07, 18:04
Which springs do you guys run in your you C-Products SS mags? The CS spring or the SS spring?

Also is there any difference between the Grey and Orange follower besided color?

Cproducts mags come from the factory with a CS spring or a SS spring (you can choose either). I would go with the CS spring as it is a superior spring to the SS one.

There is no difference between the followers (other than color).

In the mags that I build, I ONLY use ISMI CS springs.

C4

Dport
01-07-07, 18:55
Cproducts mags come from the factory with a CS spring or a SS spring (you can choose either).

C4
So when I order from your site, which spring do the mags come with?

C4IGrant
01-07-07, 20:43
So when I order from your site, which spring do the mags come with?

I only order my Cproducts mags with the CS springs.

C4

davemcdonald
01-07-07, 21:02

C4

Atta boy!.......Welcome to the dark side or better yet...Welcome to the dark Earth side!

Dave

C4IGrant
01-08-07, 09:18
Atta boy!.......Welcome to the dark side or better yet...Welcome to the dark Earth side!

Dave

I have only ever known the dark side of the force. :)

C4