PDA

View Full Version : Bill Would Prevent Federal Government from Regulating Firearms in Tennessee

variablebinary
05-08-09, 01:48
Like dominoes...

http://www.wztv.com/newsroom/top_stories/wztv_vid_5694.shtml

Bill Would Prevent Federal Government from Regulating Firearms in TN - John Dunn

Tennessee lawmakers may soon send the federal government a loud messagehands off our guns.

A new law is under consideration that would say if firearms are manufactured and sold inside the state of Tennessee, federal gun law would not apply.

Visit any gun store right now, and youll hear the same story.

Gun buyers are stocking up on weapons, and ammunition is in short supply.

"It is a very significant fear for a lot of Tennesseans," says John Harris, Executive Director of the Tennessee Firearms Association

Harris says gun owners are worried. They believe the Federal government may soon restrict certain weapons.

"But it's our way to make a statement to say this is Tennessee. These our are guns," says Rep. Henry Fincher, (D) Cookeville.

Now, lawmakers have proposed a new bill called the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act.

It basically exempts guns made and sold in Tennessee from federal regulation, because they never cross the state line.

"If these firearms are meant to be used just here in Tennessee, they're not properly regulated by the federal government because they are not in interstate commerce," says Rep. Fincher.

"Your state, and I suspect every state, will be rushing to try to do something to preserve the rights of their people," says Ronnie Barrett with Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, Inc.

The rifles made by Barrett Firearms are impressive.

Theyre also made right here in Middle Tennessee, which means this proposed law applies to their weapons.

"And this is a great move to say that the state has rights, and the first thing they're going for is to protect their firearms," says Barrett.

Similar legislation is pending in several other states. Montanas Governor has even signed a like minded-law.

So far opposition has been quiet in Tennessee, where lawmakers have been dealing with a number of gun related bills.

"Bottom line...safety. I think if there's a gun being manufactured in Tennessee, as long as it's a safe gun I have no problem with it," says Sen. Beverly Marrero, (D) Memphis.

But if the law passes, it will put the state at odds with the federal government, and set the stage for a showdown over guns.

Both the House and Senate versions of this bill will be up for a committee vote tomorrow.

Many believe this issue may ultimately be settled by the United State Supreme Court.

JSandi
05-08-09, 02:39
Sweet!

Bout time this state did something smart for a change!
:D:D:D:D

Blankwaffe
05-08-09, 02:58
Yeap.Now if they will just follow through and pass it.Then I will be impressed.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-08-09, 08:25
i would have never guessed so many states would have followed montanas lead so fast... this is great!

markm
05-08-09, 10:02
i would have never guessed so many states would have followed montanas lead so fast... this is great!

This IS great. Anyone seeing/hearing any mainstream media coverage of this trend?

A-Bear680
05-08-09, 11:25
This IS great. Anyone seeing/hearing any mainstream media coverage of this trend?
This a huge good news story for our side.
And are the usual suspects on talk radio giving the trend any air time?

Nathan_Bell
05-08-09, 15:04

<crickets chirp>

Jerm
05-08-09, 15:09
Glenn Beck talked about it yesterday quite a bit...I think Lou Dobbs may have mentioned it...

In regards to Texas and Montana anyway.

I guess 5-6pm on Fox News would be "mainstream"(even though it's Glenn) no?

TY44934
06-05-09, 14:39
Last post here was from 2007.

Believe that this was recently PASSED, and the governor's veto was overidded.

I think it was passed as SB 1610, and makes supressors made in Tenn lawful for anyone. HOWEVER, like so-called "medical pot" in California, it is still subject to federal regulation & anyone violating federal laws can and will be prosecuted.