PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions about my new Bushmaster

swilcoxaz
01-04-07, 23:40
First post here. I got a Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolman's Carbine for x-mas. I've been learning a lot here but I have a couple of questions.

1. The carbine has a detachable carry handle with A2 rear sight. Should the rear sight assembly above the elevation adjustment knob have some movement side-to-side? It isn't exactly square with the handle and has a little play. Is this normal?

2. I'm planning on some rails and accessories and was wondering how to remove the handguard. Besides pulling the delta ring back, how do you separate and remove the two pieces?

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll have more questions to come.

Robb Jensen
01-04-07, 23:42
That play is normal. There is a spring and ball in there that make it return to when you pull on it one way or the other, if it stops returning than it would need repair.

To remove the handguards without a handguard tool is easiest to do with a partner. Have the partner pull on the top and bottom handguards as you stand the rifle on the floor (stock to floor) and pull down firmly on the delta ring.

baffle Stack
01-05-07, 01:45
I like to use my charging handle to help get the handgaurds off. Its 'L' shaped and you can use it to help pull down on the ring, just stick the short end of it under the delta ring and pull back. This is much easier than using nothing at all. The handgaurds are kind of a bitch to get off. Enjoy your new carbine!

LOKNLOD
01-05-07, 07:52
I use a pair of medium sized Channel Locks to force the delta ring down.
Like these:
http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/images/415s.gif

BUT! Don't use the pliers normally -- if you adjust them to open the jaws so that the handles will be parallel when they are about the same width apart as the delta ring's diameter, you can fit the handles around the delta ring, hold them closed by placing your hand just on the very end of the handles. You can force the delta ring down pretty easily and the coated handles keep you from marring things up (battle scars may be okay but tool marks from monkeying with things aren't).

swilcoxaz
01-05-07, 09:21
Thanks for the info. I especially like the Channel Lock Idea, saves $21 for the Busmaster tool.

My rear site does spring back but comes to rest slightly to the left. I guess I shouldn't complain as it shoots straight with the site at mechanical zero.

C4IGrant
01-05-07, 21:30
Congrats on the weapon! Double check that the carrier key is staked properly and if you can, tell us what color the extractor insert is (blue or black).

I have been hearing reports that BM is installing black inserts into the Patrolman AR's.

C4

swilcoxaz
01-05-07, 22:36
Congrats on the weapon! Double check that the carrier key is staked properly and if you can, tell us what color the extractor insert is (blue or black).

I have been hearing reports that BM is installing black inserts into the Patrolman AR's.
C4

Thanks.

Carrier key looks pretty good. Three out of the four stakes are real good and the fourth is just touching the bolt head.

The extractor insert is blue. What is a good source for the black one? Do I need to change the spring also?

I've heard that BM is using M16 Carriers and I've also heard about shrouded firing pins. If anyone has any pix (or good descriptions) of the various types of carriers I'd like to know what mine is. Or, when I get a chance, I'll take a pic and you can tell me :)

Anything other priority mods needed?

jmart
01-05-07, 23:16
A shrouded carrier wll have a section of metal which protects the FP shaft from contacting the hammer and causing drag. Turn you carrier upside down. If all you can see is the ass end of the FP, it's shrouded. If you can see a decents ection of FP shaft, it's not. FWIW, my Patrolman's Carbine upper, purchased about three-four years ago prior to the expiration of the AWB had a shrouded carrier (along with blue insert).

Go to www.bravocompanyusa.com and check out their carriers. They have good pics of FA M16 carriers compared to SA carriers. The difference will be in the carrier tail/skirt length, with the M16 having a longer skirt along the bottom of the carrier. Consequently, they are heavier than SA carriers.

deadwood83
01-05-07, 23:54
Congrats! I have the same rifle (except somebody at Cabela's put some aftermarket parts in it) and i've changed a couple things.

1st, your carrier IS shrouded, i'll guarantee it. IThe skirt length is not as short as a Colt sporter but not as long as atrue M16 carrier. You can use a D-Fender ring under your extractor and keep the blue one. (I never had a single problem with the blue one but I just shot it at the range.) The rear sight will always have that leftiness unless you have White Oak Precision add 2 posts to keep it straight (only need this for high end competition guns.) In terms of break-in, unless you're shooting really dirty ammo, don't clean your gun too much for the first 500-1000 rounds. The chrome-lining in the barrel and chamber needs to get itself polished up and slicked up. This is the Bushmaster-approved way to break in their rifles. You'll probably want to replace the stock, buffer, and receiver extension.

Before you go buy railsand stuff you should really shoot the snot out of it. The only mods I currently run are a KNS globe sight, trigger, stock, and handguards. What everyone is saying, and listen to the pros like USMC03, L.K.Davis, Grant, M4arc, gotm4, and pretty much any mod or industry professional, is that we should start getting back to basics. I admit that when I see an un-modded 20" A2/A4 or a stock carbine it really gets me going. Sure all those fancy rails and stuff are impressive but the basics are sort-of the rifle's legacy feature.

Pretty much just shoot it, love it, keep it lubed (well lubed,) play with it in your spare time, practice trigger control, spend tons of money on ammo and magazines, maybe get an optic and bipod (the harris #5 adapter will need to be modded to fit.)

It's awful tempting to snuggle with it and sleep with it but dont. Your wife/significant other might not appreciate it. And be sure to spend about as much money on your special someone as you do on your rifle.

Such beautiful rifles.....

Anyway i'll get off the throne. And if anyone with more experience contradicts anything I said, trust THEM.

Again, grats! You will LOVE your rifle. And if you dont; i'll love it for you at no charge! :D

C4IGrant
01-06-07, 08:49
Thanks.

Carrier key looks pretty good. Three out of the four stakes are real good and the fourth is just touching the bolt head.

The extractor insert is blue. What is a good source for the black one? Do I need to change the spring also?

I've heard that BM is using M16 Carriers and I've also heard about shrouded firing pins. If anyone has any pix (or good descriptions) of the various types of carriers I'd like to know what mine is. Or, when I get a chance, I'll take a pic and you can tell me :)

Anything other priority mods needed?

Roger on the staking. I offer a reliability package that includes a CS spring, black insert and a Crane O-Ring here: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ORS&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DLMTO

C4

swilcoxaz
01-06-07, 16:39
This is my bolt carrier. Key staking looks pretty good, does it not?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/swilcoxaz/M4A3BoltCarrierTop.jpg

swilcoxaz
01-06-07, 16:41
Roger on the staking. I offer a reliability package that includes a CS spring, black insert and a Crane O-Ring here: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ORS&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DLMTO
C4

What does the Crane O-ring do and where does it go?

jmart
01-06-07, 18:08
What does the Crane O-ring do and where does it go?

It augments extractor spring tension. It slips over the extractor spring, so working from the inside out you've got the black buffer, then the spring, then the o-ring.

Robb Jensen
01-06-07, 18:15
This is my bolt carrier. Key staking looks pretty good, does it not?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/swilcoxaz/M4A3BoltCarrierTop.jpg

I'd restake using a MOACKS and counterstake the screws with a spring loaded punch.

swilcoxaz
01-06-07, 20:11
It augments extractor spring tension. It slips over the extractor spring, so working from the inside out you've got the black buffer, then the spring, then the o-ring.

Thanks, I've seen lots of posts about the O-ring and have been wondering. Sounds like I need to place an order.

swilcoxaz
01-06-07, 20:12
I'd restake using a MOACKS and counterstake the screws with a spring loaded punch.

More tools I don't have! LOL

JmasterJ
01-06-07, 22:49
Hey SwilCoxAZ...get the Bushmaster Armorers DVD....goes through everything from the complete break down to re-assembly of the typical AR type rifle. Great just to have and reference every once in awhile.

jmart
01-07-07, 00:53
More tools I don't have! LOL

Send it to Grant. $12. Covers staking and return shipping.

Yours looks pretty decent, but if you want piece of mind, it can be had for a mere $12.

gringle84
01-07-07, 02:16
Congrats on the Bushy, I got the one with the "Izzy" flash suppressor on a 14.5 bbl.

Get lots of ammo and have fun and read lots here, some very good info. My bushy was right on out of the box when sighting in at 25 yds, didn't need to adjust a thing. My eyes ain't that good and I put an old Weaver scope on the carry handle (going to mount it on the flattop later) and that helps alot for anything past 50 yds. I need to see the eye doc soon.

My trigger pull sucks 7-8 lbs. and I'm trying an "Elkmont Arms trigger pull reduction kit" that is supposed to half the trigger pull. I have a Timney drop-in trigger on order that will go in my P.O.F. lower and thought I'd try the "Elkmont" in the bushy and see if it works. Only 33 bucks so worth a try. I like to keep things simple and instead of new rail handguards I'm trying some "ProMag" M4 adapter rails to the stock handguards.

With just under 1,000 rounds through it with zero hiccups I'm pleased with her. I do go a little overboard and got the military Tech manual, about 5 books and a few tools for the AR and the wife is getting tired of hearing "I also need this and that tool honey, and more ammo......", but what the hell, this is my first AR and when I build the next one I want to do it right.

Have fun and enjoy it, lube it, shoot it lots......

Robert