PDA

View Full Version : VZ "Operator" G10 Grips

82ndtrooper
05-08-09, 11:15
I have to admit that most 1911's that I have owned have alway's had Cocabolo grips and one set of Mil-Tac G10's.

However I recently purchased two sets of VZ "Operator" G10's for two RIA guns and they are without a doubt the most aggressive grips that I could find on the market. One set is the Black/Grey Desert and the other is the Desert Tan.

I put the Black/Grey's on the RIA Tactical and the Deserts on the RIA M1911A1 clone. They have a rather rough feel and you'll without a doubt notice your hands have new blisters after a few hundred rounds with them. However, I have not had a better set of grips for two 1911's since I started shooting the JMB pistol.

One problem I did have though was the ambi safety cut for the RIA Tactical. Simply put, the right side grip was not cut far enough to allow the ambi safety to fully disengage. There's an easy fix for this and it's called "sandpaper" :cool:

I simply used a 200 grit sand paper and sanded the top of the grip down until the ambi right side safety lever would fully disengage. Then just spray some WD-40 on the sanded top and it restores the G10's to the natural color.

Pics soon to come. I'm very pleased with these from Mr. John Vanzyke.

maximus83
05-08-09, 11:21
Haven't tried the "Operator" line, but I have some similar VZ grips (they are the "Diamond back black desert" model) and have been really happy with them.

One thing I especially like (in addition to the looks and the great grip they provide) is the maintenance aspect: they resist solvents well, and it's pretty easy to keep them clean.

tmzphoto
05-11-09, 18:13
I have G10 VZ Operators on my on primary 1911, and I'm very pleased with them. I didn't find the "bite" to be nearly as agressive as I expected. The fit is perfect, and the grip is excellent with both bare hands and gloves.