PDA

View Full Version : Stag 6.8 upper opinions?

RAM Engineer
01-05-07, 00:05
I did a search but didn't find anything that fit my question:

Does anyone have any experience with the Stag 6.8 upper? If so, what is your opinion?

I'd like to try out the 6.8, and I have it narrowed down to either the LMT MRP or this. This is obviously the cheap end, but I think barrels alone for the MRP are as much as this upper (maybe $100 shy), and the price difference could go toward a a good bit of 6.8 ammo.

Anyway, suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Jason

caporider
01-05-07, 17:18
In my experience, the Stag 6.8 upper is just OK. Accuracy is 2-3MOA, which is about par for a rack-grade chrome-lined barrel. No extended feed ramps, which means some loads (like the SSA Xtremes) will not feed, no matter what you do to your magazines. Bolt carrier is top-staked, so you'll want to fix that forthwith. F-marked FSB is a plus. My upper short stroked so badly it took two visits to the factory service center to get the issue worked out, but many others have had 100% reliability. In fairness, the factory paid for shipping and all work was covered under warranty, but it was a pain constantly pulling all my stuff off the upper and sending it back.

Overall, a nice middle of the road upper, but nothing to write home about.

FJB
01-06-07, 04:10
"Buy Cheap, buy twice." P.R.'s dad.

"Trying to save a dime, you'll spend a dollar every time." My dad.

STAG has been earning a good rep, but my recommendation for a speciality upper is do it right the first time and spend the money on a Noveske 6.8 upper. The accuracy and QC is unmatched.

S/F

RAM Engineer
01-06-07, 09:59
I have no need or want for a SS barrel. I prefer chrome lined. That's why I haven't really considered the Noveske. The MRP has a chrome lined option. I don't really have a want or need for a free-float rail, but I'd be willing to accept it with the MRP as a trade off to get the chrome lined barrel.

I guess what I'm basically looking for is the equivalent to a 5.56 LMT/BCM/Colt M4 upper, but in 6.8, WITH the LMT/BCM/Colt quality. Any company offer that? Or do I need to go to Grant or Wes to build me one?

As my name would indicate, I value Reliability over any other characteristic, with Accuracy coming in a distant second.

Thanks for the info,

Jason

Paulinski
01-06-07, 16:05
I'm also considering Stag 6.8 upper. What about CMMG 6.8 uppers (16" carabine gas system barrel) Any thoughts on that?