PDA

View Full Version : Mag Cinch or Redi-Mag?

Dave L.
01-05-07, 00:35
One of my buddies in Force Recon told me their unit is buying up some Redi-Mags for eveyone, I told him I have used the Mag Cinch when I was over there- He said they are going with the Redi-Mag because it protects the rounds from sand...and he had a good point. So my question is: Is Redi-Mag(Gen II) a product worthey to be on a combat carbine? Also, what is it attached to and how solid is the attachment?

KevinB
01-05-07, 05:30
Yes,

While I was still the military - we trialed several "Mag-cinch" type products (11 I think). We found halfway into Afghanistan that it was not a good idea and the guys who had recommended the Redi-Mag's where much wiser.
Not only do Mag Cinches expose a loose round -- the are subject ti impact (the brass shower if hit hard enough) - they can deform mags, the right side mag can impreed the ejection port or port door, and they dont fit in pouches or dump pouches well.

Once the Redi-Mag is bolted on it is GTG. I much prefer the GenII with the seperate paddle design to the intial one.

RAM Engineer
01-05-07, 16:37
Kevin,

Would a lefty like myself be able to utilize a Redimag? It seems like the design would only work for right handers. Perhaps there is a technique that I havent' figured out from just looking at pictures of one. Never handled one in person.

Thanks,

J

K.L. Davis
01-05-07, 17:24
Here is a pic on one I've got laying around... it clamps around the mag well and adds a sort of "second mag well" on the left side. On this one, the regular magazine release operates both mag releases, when properly adjusted, you can set it so you can drop the one in the gun first, or press harder and drop both. FWIW, I am a fan of these for certain rifles.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5950/redimaguj2.jpg

SuicideHz
01-05-07, 19:20
Two totally different animals too...

A redi mag is part of your rifle and you can swap mags in and out of it- read, constantly have a fresh one at the ready. With a mag cinch, you are binding two mags together. One will be empty sooner or later and then they both end up in a dump pouch or mag pouch. Then it provides you no more use until you reload the two magazines.

I was going to try and make an analogy but stumped myself...

KevinB
01-06-07, 03:58
I'm not a lefty - but I have seen lefties run Redimag guns -- usually the GenI ones that drop both mags at the same time.

LukeMacGillie
01-06-07, 08:44
On this one, the regular magazine release operates both mag releases, when properly adjusted, you can set it so you can drop the one in the gun first, or press harder and drop both.

I could never get this adjusted well enough to only drop one mag, especially with gloves on.

Now you got me heading to the shop to play around with one to see if I can tune it :D

Chris_C
01-06-07, 13:26
I had a big problem with mine, I sent it back to redi-mag and they swapped it out...I am still having the problem.

The unit slides up and gets out of kilter just enough to render the weapon useless. The nub that releases the mag being held by the unit gets jammed in the offset of the bolt catch/ release.

I still have it. Don't know why....Maybe I will try it again. But I know with my experience with one, I would not trust it.

I know there are those here who have used it in combat and have several weapons outfitted with them. So they trust them.

I tried everything, different rubber, sanding the blocks down, etc...I have a hard time believing that the guys are Redi-Mag have TWO units to me that are welded out of specs.

KevinB
01-07-07, 09:03
I've never had one move - even not using the rubber

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Courses/ContractorDriving427.jpg

mayonaise
01-07-07, 11:11
I tried a mag cinch once in the first AR class I took. I sh*t canned that deal right away. The instructor was watching, came up to me after a drill and said "That thing isn't working out real well for you is it?" One of the funniest things I ever saw was in a 3 gun match where a guy had a mag cinch going. Every time he took a shot, rounds were popping out of spare mag. When he finished the first mag, reloaded with the second, the look on his face when his gun went to bolt lock after about 4 rounds in the second mag was priceless.

I can see the benefits of a Redimag but the added weight on the gun is the deal killer for me. Of course if I was in the sandbox or some other less desirable place in the world I might think differently. ;)

K.L. Davis
01-07-07, 11:15
I could never get this adjusted well enough to only drop one mag, especially with gloves on.

Now you got me heading to the shop to play around with one to see if I can tune it :D

I was going to add the caviat to that when I posted...

You can adjust them so that you can drop the primary only, or both mags -- but this feature seems to only work in the shop or at the range; during "stessfull" situations, you will jab the button hard enough to drop both every time.

There, that's better ;)

SuicideHz
01-07-07, 13:16
Damn Kevin. You sure do have nice carpet where they've got you stationed. Pine beds too? Was that picture taken overseas or just up North? Looks like it could be inside of a nice cozy cabin! :D

they
02-01-07, 10:13
I'm not a lefty - but I have seen lefties run Redimag guns -- usually the GenI ones that drop both mags at the same time.

Hey Kev,

Any opinion on the CAA mag coupler?

I'm lefty and my "manual of arms" rules out the RM

VA_Dinger
02-01-07, 10:36
I would have to say that the Redi-Mag is the only true option. All the others have serious draw backs that are too much to make the system truly viable.

Personally, I love my Redi-Mag. It took allot of hard work and practice to become proficient with it but now I love it. No question in my mind that they make for the fastest mag change around. They also make for a very stable platform when shooting prone.

I have one of the RM-15 models, but I’m eager to try one of the RM-II models when I get the chance.

Nick710
02-01-07, 19:15
I'm a lefty and I think the Redi-Mag II is faster for lefty's that for righty's.

Go with the II version and forget the magcinch type devises.

docsherm
02-11-07, 07:10
I have used a Redi-Mag for years now, and gone down range with it three times as of now. It is great. But you have to train with it. I like the fact that when you push the mag release button both mags come out. It makes for fast mag changes and once you develop the muscle memory it is very fast. The biggest reason the Redi-mag is better than the Mag Cinch is there is not a need for additional equipment. What I am talking about is mag pouches. You don't need them with the Redi-mag. Unless your kit is setup with only pouches for Mag Cinches it is only good for the first mag change. That does not develop good muscle memory.

KevinB
02-12-07, 10:45
The pic was taking in Tn. at James Yeagers house.