PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Rail Systems Advice Needed

Dave L.
01-05-07, 01:14
I have been looking around at rail systems for the last few days on the interweb and we all know what the mfg. says: "ours is the best"- so it would be cool to get some user input on each option regarding quality, value, if it's easy to install, ect...

1st Choice) Troy 12" MRF-CX FDE Extended Model - this seems easy to install and it provides no rail interuption + extra rail estate.

2nd Choice) 7.0" LaRue Tactical Handguard LT15-7- Install seems like a pain in the A for this one but I know it's quality...evey one on this site screams about LT.

3rd Choice) DD AR 15 Lite Rail 9.5 FSP- again, this one doesn't look like it's to tough to install and it also has extra rail estate- correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to mount up just like the troy.

Slap me if wrong but these are the 3 on my mind- let me know +'s and -'s or if you sold one to buy more bullets.

P.S. Feel free to get as technical as possible

Jason K
01-05-07, 03:14
Cant help too much, as I have not used any of the three rails that you are asking about. I can add that the LT and the DD rails mount the same way. You have to pull the front site for both.

Jason

Dave L.
01-05-07, 04:53
Cant help too much, as I have not used any of the three rails that you are asking about. I can add that the LT and the DD rails mount the same way. You have to pull the front site for both.

Jason

What if I have a pri flip-up, will it go over it?

USMC03
01-05-07, 07:43
I have used or tried most of the rail systems avalible on the market.

I have been using LaRue Tactical rail systems since 2004 and at great cost to myself changed all my rail systems over to LaRue.

LaRue has the best features and their price is better than the competition. Just my 2 pesos

Semper Fi,
Jeff

KevinB
01-05-07, 07:56
I'm curious why you list three different rail lenghts.

Othe than that of all the commercially available rails I think Larue has it...

Paulinski
01-05-07, 07:58
As far as rails go LaRue and Daniel Defence are my only choice.

uranus
01-05-07, 08:37
What if I have a pri flip-up, will it go over it?

Unless the Troy rail has recently been modified, I believe that the Troy is incompatible with the PRI front flip-up sight/gas block without modification because the lower portion of the PRI (around the set screws) is larger than the cut out in the bottom of the Troy, which was designed to fit around a standard FSB. The upper portion of the PRI flip up fits in the top of the rail. (I tried it!)

You might want to confirm with Troy, however.

I have two LaRue rails, which I highly recommend.

Removing FSB's can be 1) easy as pie; or 2) a PITA.

K.L. Davis
01-05-07, 10:21
I have been looking around at rail systems for the last few days on the interweb and we all know what the mfg. says: "ours is the best"- so it would be cool to get some user input on each option regarding quality, value, if it's easy to install, ect...

1st Choice) Troy 12" MRF-CX FDE Extended Model - this seems easy to install and it provides no rail interuption + extra rail estate.
The Troy would be the easiest to install, the bottom section removes and the rail simply clamps to the stock barrel nut (delta ring removed). As mentioned the Troy system (used to) won't fit around a PRI sight -- for that you want to look at Samson Manufacturing, they make a version that is modified to fit the PRI sight... you will notice that they look just like Troy Ind, long story and this is not the time or place. The Troy system is very strong and has the removable bottom section -- this is the rail system that S&W picked for their rifles. MI FF system is quite a bit like these two in design, but I do not know if it will clear the PRI sight.

2nd Choice) 7.0" LaRue Tactical Handguard LT15-7- Install seems like a pain in the A for this one but I know it's quality...evey one on this site screams about LT.
The LT system uses the tried and true method of replacing the barrel nut and having the handguard section slip or screw on to the new barrel nut... the front sight must also be removed for installation, the bottom section is not removable. At one time, nearly all rail manufactures used a variation of this theme. The LT is more difficult to install than the Troy, but not rocket surgery. Simple, reliable and strong, the LT system is very popular with aftermarket gear guys, maybe a bit long in the tooth... but some say why change something that works -- the only legitimate beef might be as KevinB pointed out elsewhere, that there is a large gap between the receiver and rail, if you wanted to run a mount slightly forward of the receiver, that would be a concern.

3rd Choice) DD AR 15 Lite Rail 9.5 FSP- again, this one doesn't look like it's to tough to install and it also has extra rail estate- correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to mount up just like the troy.
The DD Lite Rail (contrary to what has been said here) is nothing like the LT rail, the mounting system is far different and it is the most difficult to install -- but again, if you cant figure it out, well maybe you shouldn't have a gun. The DD Lite replaces the barrel nut and requires the front sight be removed, it will work with a PRI sight just fine... the rail clamps to the new nut on the ends rather than the sides, this give you some room to adjust the top rail section to the upper receiver. The DD system is the "civilian" version of the handguard that the military recently chose for Block II of SOPMOD, it is very strong.

Stickman
01-05-07, 12:56
I'm a 9.5 fan, as well as a DD Lite rail fan. I like the extra rail space, and I like sticking with a standard FSB. I like that I can mount a light on the rail, and run a 16" barrel, and not get any shadowing off the barrel when doing clearing.

The mounting method is pretty simple, and installation is as easy as pulling the FSB and removing the barrel nut. Replace the barrel nut with the new mount and new barrel nut, and tighten. You don't even need to play around with aligning the gas tube. You line up the upper rail and receiver by slapping a carry handle or something similar across them to ensure alignment. Tighten down the screws, and you are done (after you tap your FSB back in place).

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2495/img8891stickgl9.jpg

Voodoochild
01-05-07, 16:28
So Stick will a DD 9.0 Lite Rail work with a FSB. Will there be enough room for the rail not to bump into the FSB.

Dave L.
01-05-07, 19:56
Thanks for all the advice gents, it was what I needed to hear.

Stick, are you saying that the DD lite rail is the same height as the reciever? And do you have a better picture than what they have on their website?

Glockster35
01-05-07, 21:47
I'll venture to bet that if he doesn't, he will snap one for you.

I think (have no experience) the DD lite rails are the way to go.

if I decide to get rid of my KAC RAS 4 anytime inthe future, I will be getting a DD Lite!

Dave L.
01-05-07, 23:30
I think (have no experience) the DD lite rails are the way to go.

Is the DD lite 9.0 FSB really worth over $100 more than a Larue?

BushmasterFanBoy
01-06-07, 00:01
I got a LaRue 13.2 and love it. Rail mounted flip sight gives even more sight radius. To the length of a 20" rifle, I think. Plus it has a built in sling mount swivel, it just doesn't get better than that.:D

nyeti
01-06-07, 01:29
For ease of instalation on a basic gun, I like the Surefire. If the front sight is getting pulled, then I'm putting a LaRue on it. They are very high quality,well engineered, well proven, and a great company to deal with.

Stickman
01-06-07, 01:58
Stick, are you saying that the DD lite rail is the same height as the reciever? And do you have a better picture than what they have on their website?

Yes it is the same height. What rail are you looking for better pictures of? I've got pictures of many of the DD rails mounted, but not of everything.