PDA

View Full Version : .38 snub ballistics

05-10-09, 11:06
I read the pinned post about BUG ammo selection that touches on the best rounds for use in a .38 snub, but I was wondering if anyone had the specific data on a few rounds because I can't seem to find it anywhere. I am particularly interested in the 125gr +p Golden Saber and 125gr +p PDX1. I understand the PDX1 to be a relabeled Ranger round, but then again I have also heard it is a slightly different design in some respects, but haven't heard any specifics on it. I was also wondering if the unjacketed rounds like the 158gr LSWCHP have trouble with intermediate barriers? Has anyone ever done a test to simulate what the ballistics might be if a snub is fired from inside a pants or coat pocket at a target? As far as I know the ballistics test only involve encountering clothing (i.e. denim) immediately before penetrating gel, would encountering clothing a few feet before encountering more clothing and then gel make any real difference?

lindertw
05-10-09, 19:16
I didn't check each link to see if the ammo you specified is covered, but there may be info of use to you here (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/OtherHandguns.htm).

Hope this helps...

tpd223
05-10-09, 21:07
The Golden Saber info used to be available directly from Remington.
The PDX .38 ammo is very new, I don't know of anyone who has tested it yet. In fact, I haven't even seen any of that ammo outside of the announcement from Winchester.

The 158gr LSWCHP has been around a very long time, so I'm sure the info is out there. I'm also pretty sure that firing from the pocket won't effect the terminal ballistics of the round as the dynamics of the heavy clothing tests are different than firing from the pocket.

ElyasWolff
05-12-09, 20:47
Take a closer look the the 135+P Speer Gold Dot ;)

05-12-09, 21:26
I carry the 135gr +p GD's, I was just wondering about these other two because the PDX1 is new and I hadn't heard anything, and I hadn't heard anything all together about the GS round even though it has been around a while.

I contacted Remington and they didn't have what I was looking for, just the basic ballistics data like velocity, etc.

Lindertw, thanks for the link, I am already a big fan of that website, but he doesn't have what I am looking for on there.

firecop019
05-13-09, 21:21
As soon as I get thru this batch of 135 gold dots I think I'm switching over to the DPX stuff from Corbon.

BigMac
05-13-09, 22:26
135 + P Gold Dot. Superior performance through the entire FBI testing. However if you are never going to shoot through a tough barrier, pick whatever is most comfortable to shoot to have better time on target.

05-14-09, 16:38
I am not really trying to decide on a carry round, I already have that. I am just wondering what these two rounds do because I am curious, and what unjacketed rounds do when hitting barriers because I am curious. I carry the 135gr +p Gold Dot already, just want to see the numbers on these two also.

DBR
05-14-09, 21:20
In the gello pics I have been able to see it seems the Speer GD 135+P and the DPX 110 +P veer considerably off their original path after they expand. They often go sideways and act like a Frisbee. It seems to me this could turn an accurate shot into a miss before the vitals are reached.

The "old tech" 158gr HPSWC +P on the other hand seems to track straight, the Buffalo Bore 150gr Hard Cast wad cutter and the 148gr wad cutter track straight.

Any thoughts on the consequences of this? Does it matter? It seems to me it does.

tpd223
05-15-09, 02:59
I've tested the Gold Dot and DPX several times, haven't yet seen the veering off that you mentioned.

05-15-09, 17:09
Your thought on veering is interesting, I had never really considered it. My thought is, just because something veers in gel doesn't mean it will in a person. Also, who is to say that a bullet that goes straight in gel won't hit something in the person like abone or different density tissue to cause it to veer, or turn, or something. If it happens it happens, you just deal with it and go on. You wouldn't have been pershaps talking about the brass fetcher test would you? He also notes that they penetrated a couple inches under the FBI requirment but says that seem inconsistent with other test. So who knows what might have been going on with his test, just goes to show you that you cannot predict what a bullet will do everytime so you have to be ready to improvise and keep after it.

I managed to dig up some data on the 125gr +p Golden Saber. It is from a magazine article, so I question the vailidity a little, but it seems legit. Here is the link if anyone is interested. Not all the results seem to match up to what DocGKR has done. http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/pocket_dynomite/

Does anyone happen to know if the PDX1 is just a re-named Ranger Bonded round or is there really a difference? I may just have to go buy some and test them myself. Just have to figure out a testing method that is halfway reasonable.

05-18-09, 20:14
I emailed Winchester and they said PDX1 was the same as Ranger Bonded, so does anyone have the specs on Ranger Bonded from a 2" snub?