PDA

View Full Version : which 1911 magazines ?

HoBoBum
05-10-09, 15:20
it has been a half dozen years since I compared, so was wondering ; I always went with the McCormicks before , but has anyone else by-passed them for dependability ?
(wilson, brown, anyone)
thanks

mpardun
05-10-09, 17:30
I personally have tried them all and my fav's are the Tripp Cobra's, followed by the NEW Wilson's. That said, CMC's have not failed me...Had a few issues with Metalform (Ed Brown) or ACT (Nighthawk), but only a few.

mrwickwire
05-10-09, 18:46
I only use Wilsons. I think their 10 rounders hold an edge over the Tripp 10 rounders. Their polymer base pad can become an issue if you use them often. I noticed the portion that prevents over-insertion of the magazine will bend over time, whereas the Wilson uses a metal piece to accomplish this. However, Tripp offers a metal alloy, but this increases the overall cost of the magazine.

For the above-mentioned reason. I think Wilson holds the edge.

varoadking
05-10-09, 18:53
Wilson 47D's have been 100% reliable, however, I've come to like the Mec-Gar's.

d90king
05-10-09, 19:41
47D;)

JHC
05-10-09, 19:49
About 6 or 8 years ago I bought 3 Wilson 47D and they all pooped the bed within 6 months and not all that many rounds albeit kept loaded. ISMI springs to convert them to 7 rounds have worked out OK but I only use them on the range as their bumper pads like to shift around. I've read that they've tightened up and improved them (mpardun's NEW specification no doubt).

After I read Hilton Yam's article on mags and went Chip McCormack Power Mag, I've never looked anywhere else. They've run and run so far and that's all I need.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-10-09, 20:21
I have had good luck with...dang near everything. I run 3 1911s. 2 are Novak's modified Govt models. They run with Wilsons, Novaks (ACT), CMC Shooting stars and power mags, and Tripp Cobras. I also run mystery 7 round GI mags I bought from Springfield. I also have Colt Officer's (no feed mods) which runs with 6 round Colt and my 7 round Metalform mags.

Basically, since I got rid of my bad 1911s, my mags seem better.

I know this isn't the recieved wisdom, but I think most "bad mags" are actually bad guns.

tinman44
05-10-09, 21:15
I have had good luck with...dang near everything. I run 3 1911s. 2 are Novak's modified Govt models. They run with Wilsons, Novaks (ACT), CMC Shooting stars and power mags, and Tripp Cobras. I also run mystery 7 round GI mags I bought from Springfield. I also have Colt Officer's (no feed mods) which runs with 6 round Colt and my 7 round Metalform mags.

Basically, since I got rid of my bad 1911s, my mags seem better.

I know this isn't the recieved wisdom, but I think most "bad mags" are actually bad guns.

OMG was the colt you sold me one of these? btw i have not had one malfunction and probably put 1k through it since i got it from you. though i did replace the springs

ThirdWatcher
05-10-09, 21:33
I know this isn't the received wisdom, but I think most "bad mags" are actually bad guns.

IMO, there is a lot of truth in that statement.

toddackerman
05-10-09, 22:03
I f you would like a "Real World Experts" opinion, go to www.10-8forums.com and read what Hilton Yam has to say. McCormicks or Tripp's.

Wilson tubes crack and the feed lips spread which is the main reason for their "Lifetime Warranty Policy". I have returned 6 47D's and 4 ETM's for replacement because of this. I have also owned >30 Wilson Mags. The Wilson follower on ALL Wilson Mags wears out quickly (especially if you do a lot of SS reloads) at the SS catch area, and the springs on the ETM are total junk and will wear very quickly because they are thinner than the Tripps. (.048" versus .050")

The Tripp Cobra Mag has a metal reinforcement where the follower engages the SS, and their tubes are the strongest in the industry. I keep my CCW Tripps fully loaded 24/7 and after 2 years the feed lips have not spread even .0001". Their springs are also the most stout I have experienced over 30 years...and I've owned them all!

BTW the Wilson feed lip width spec is .0485" +/- .005". Measure yours on a regular basis and when they get to .0490" measured at the middle of the feed lips with a micrometer...return them for a replacement.

The Wilson "Life Time Guarantee" is great, but a "Quality Product" (like Tripp's) should not need the guarantee.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-10-09, 22:39
Tinman!

"OMG was the colt you sold me one of these? btw i have not had one malfunction and probably put 1k through it since i got it from you. though i did replace the springs"

I told you the problem I was having! The firing pin hole was deburred so that probably resolved the issue. That was a sweet gun!

SWATcop556
05-10-09, 23:50
I use to run the 47D's without too many problems. I have since switched to the CMC 8 round Powermags with the Tripp followers and very very rarely will I have any issues. I have not seen the need to upgrade the springs to Tripp's super sevens which reduce the round count by one, but some find these even more comforting and reliable.

SGB
05-10-09, 23:57
Tripp Cobra mags, they don't get any better.

glock2026
05-11-09, 00:00
47 d magazines and i should know i shot 30000 rds, in them. i have 6 of them and i liked so well i bought 1 of thier guns .They are easier to load to, and all 1911s use them in all pics i see here springer,kimber, colt, i can go on for days everyone makes .a 1911 now

JonInWA
05-11-09, 08:28
You might want to take a hard look at Check-Mate's magazines, particularly those with Hybrid feed lips and a dimpled, skirted metal follower. They're available in both flush-fit and extended tube configurations. In addition to the 10-8 forum cited, you also might want to take a gander a www.m1911.org for some excellent magazine reviews and discussions.

Best, Jon

glock2026
05-11-09, 08:57
47d s period. if u shoot alot. if not buy junk.Wilson is the best, you dont need rest of them you will throw away and get wilson47d anyway .

ra2bach
05-11-09, 10:11
47d s period. if u shoot alot. if not buy junk.Wilson is the best, you dont need rest of them you will throw away and get wilson47d anyway .

well isn't this funny? I had several 47d's that were not reliable in my gun. my brother and another shooter each had several mags that were not reliable in their guns so we ended up doing a one for one trade till we all were satisfied.

as it worked out, I am shooting a combination of CM and Colt mags. the Wilsons? they only worked satisfactorily in one gun, a Valtro, and now he is the happy recipient of a while butt load of Wilson mags at CM prices.

my takeaway from this is the BEST mag is the one that works in YOUR gun...

DacoRoman
05-11-09, 10:17
Do the Tripp mags use the same feed lip design as the Wilson mags?

Regarding the supposed advantages of the hybrid lips and their retention of controlled feeding and resultant good function even when upside down, or inclined at severe angles (as opposed to the wadcutter type feed lips), has anyone tested this out while shooting live ammo?

And so speaking of bad guns and good mags, I'm tempted to buy some of the hybrid feed lip mags to really test my CQB as it might be cheating with the waddcutter lip design of the 47 D's. So both to test my gun's ability to handle true controlled feeding, and as an homage to Mr. Browning I'm seriously considering getting some Check Mates with the hybrid lips.

Ian111
05-11-09, 11:35
The followers on the Tripps magazines are longer and more rigid than Wilson 47's and esp. the 47D's. They are designed to better prevent rounds from nose diving. Try Tripp's replacement followers and springs in your Wilson mag bodies.

Personally, I've had more lucky with CMC Powermags in various 1911's than Wilson 47's and 47D's. 47's are better than 47D's. It has a more rigid mag body, stronger spring, and slightly better follower.

JiMfraRED1911
05-11-09, 12:12
http://www.10-8performance.com/id17.html

decodeddiesel
05-12-09, 09:53
http://www.10-8performance.com/id17.html

I agree. Although not cheap, Yam's advise is sage.

HoBoBum
05-12-09, 12:15
wow, this happens very seldom - my choices back in the early 2000's were good choices - wish I could say that about a few more things !!! - ha -
thanks guys, great info

ErikL
05-12-09, 16:07
The best magazines are the ones that function in your pistol. No matter what anyone says there isn't a magic magazine, there might be better magazines but all the feed lips spread over time and use. They are a disposable item and meant to be replaced when they wear out or are no longer in spec. It is up to the user to be able to determine, when that time is.

I recently returned 25 McCormick 8rd power mag's the feed lips were spread out to the point they were barely holding the follower, my key to look at the feed lips and measure them was a series of malfunctions I was experiencing. The magazines were 27 months old but had seen quite a bit of use. I continue to use the 10round power mags but have switched over to Wilson ETM's without issue.

Edited to add: I did not return the magazines to CMC as they would not cover them under warranty even with the receipt. Brownells who I had purchased them from took them back and issued me a credit for them.

HoBoBum
05-12-09, 16:56
whoa - Erik - why wouldn't McCormick take them back ? I was under the impression they stood behind them......

ErikL
05-12-09, 17:24
It had to do with the single digit date code on the magazine and the month of the year I tried to return them. Basically their system doesn't take into consideration the difference in production dates vs. purchase dates. In all fairness they might have taken them back but the women I talked to on the phone told me, "send the magazines back, with a copy of the receipt, and a letter stating why you think we should replace them and we will consider it." Maybe i was just expecting to much, as i stated magazines are throw away items.

tinman44
05-13-09, 19:53
I told you the problem I was having! The firing pin hole was deburred so that probably resolved the issue. That is a sweet gun!

no foul intended, btw fixed your post

macman37
05-13-09, 20:06
Wilson 47Ds have been 100% for me.

I've tried McCormick 10 rounders but every once in a while the follower will take a nosedive and cause a malf. I have relegated the 2 I have to range bag duty. Which sucks because I like the way that big fat pad on the bottom looks better than the Wilson one.

Oh, the Wilson 10 rounders have been 100% for me too.

RD62
05-13-09, 20:46
The McCormicks have been by-passed in price, that's for damn sure!

Some of the mags are ridiculous! But they still work for me, and their lower price helps me buy more!

The Wilsons and Tripps are good too, but $$$$$$

-RD62

mourneblade
05-13-09, 21:32
Are the Wilson ETMs not as good as the 47Ds? I'm new to the 1911 world and that's the gist I get.

ErikL
05-14-09, 01:18
The ETM magazine is the top of line Wilson mag. Currently both the CMC Power Mag plus and the Wilson ETM are very comparable in price.

old grunt
05-14-09, 14:33
Use Wilson-Rogers in my Colt Officer's Model....NO PROBLEMS.:D

decodeddiesel
06-03-09, 14:41
Sorry to bump a slightly older thread...

What are everyone's opinions on standard length welded bottom 7 round mags? Tripp? CMC? I would like to pick up a few high quality magazines of this type for my PX9109LP as it doesn't have an add-on magwell and I would like the reduced length to keep the grip length to a minimum for concealability sake.

JonInWA
06-03-09, 17:08
Check-Mate-see www.checkmateindustries.com

Best, Jon