PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot a S&W 5946 all stainless?

mark1JT
05-10-09, 19:25
Just wondering if anyone else shoots the above pistol or carries one on duty?? Thoughts on the pistol, likes, dislikes, etc....

tpd223
05-10-09, 21:10
Used to own one when we carried 3rd gen S&Ws here.

Good gun, very reliable, low recoil, a brick to carry concealed.

wicked_police
05-10-09, 21:19
My 5946 is black, can I play in the thread too? :D

Not a fan for certain types of duties.

I think you'll be happier with the 226R DAK(possibly the Navy version) when they finally get issued. ;)

sjc3081
05-10-09, 21:45
The 5946 was my NYPD duty pistol. The only auto loader I ever owned that never failed to feed,fire,extract and load. It is a great pistol ,that even feed spent shell casings 100% of the time for malfunction drills.

If I had to count a pistol to save my hide, my 5946 would be without question the pistol I would choose.

It is 100% reliable, 100% of the time, no limp wristing and bad mag excuses.

It goes bang every time.

Also if I run out of ammo, I can crush skulls with it.

wicked_police
05-10-09, 22:02
I should clarify that for general duty or patrol work, it is a terrific pistol. Very reliable and very accurate. I've had a 5 shot group of just under 1.5" with 3 shots making a cloverleaf at 25m, standing supported.

For other duties how ever, I think there are better tools out there more suited to specific tasks.

:)

mark1JT
05-10-09, 22:52
I don't know if it is that reliable, but in my experience it is pretty close. It would sure make one heck of an impact weapon as well. I think its main drawbacks are weight and the trigger set up that is on my pistol, long pull, no reset and about 12#.

The 5946 was my NYPD duty pistol. The only auto loader I ever owned that never failed to feed,fire,extract and load. It is a great pistol ,that even feed spent shell casings 100% of the time for malfunction drills.

If I had to count a pistol to save my hide, my 5946 would be without question the pistol I would choose.

It is 100% reliable, 100% of the time, no limp wristing and bad mag excuses.

It goes bang every time.

Also if I run out of ammo, I can crush skulls with it.

mark1JT
05-10-09, 22:55
The pistol sure is an accurate one. Of course with the trigger set up I am not YET capable of such good shooting at 25m. I know I have been using a Glock 17 on the range too and it is much more suited to faster accurate fire. The Sig 226 DAK is a nice pistol as well, can't wait!

I should clarify that for general duty or patrol work, it is a terrific pistol. Very reliable and very accurate. I've had a 5 shot group of just under 1.5" with 3 shots making a cloverleaf at 25m, standing supported.

For other duties how ever, I think there are better tools out there more suited to specific tasks.

Black stainless is the only way to carry for the 5946.... :D

varoadking
05-11-09, 17:05

varoadking
05-11-09, 17:06
I don't know if it is that reliable, but in my experience it is pretty close. It would sure make one heck of an impact weapon as well. I think its main drawbacks are weight and the trigger set up that is on my pistol, long pull, no reset and about 12#.

Not sure this is what you meant, but without reset, you have a single shot DAO. Did you mean you have no second strike capability?

With a Wolff 18# mainspring, all of my DAO 3rd Gen Smith trigger pulls weigh-in at just under 10.5 pounds.

I unloaded my 5946 - too damned heavy for a 9mm - but I did pick up a 5943.

jnc36rcpd
05-11-09, 19:13
They were an authorized weapon for an allied agency back in the day. From my limited experience, it is an accurate and reliable pistol.

It is certainly heavy enough to be used as an impact weapon. I've seen it in action.

mark1JT
05-11-09, 21:45
Sorry I believe my terms are off. When the pistol is fired the trigger must be released all the way forward before it can be pulled again. No second strike either. I have never tried this anyhow as my training has been to get rid of the round if it fails to fire, tap & rack.

I know what you mean about the weight. Next to my glock it feels like a hippo. It is a very robust pistol though, darn near indestructible.

Not sure this is what you meant, but without reset, you have a single shot DAO. Did you mean you have no second strike capability?

With a Wolff 18# mainspring, all of my DAO 3rd Gen Smith trigger pulls weigh-in at just under 10.5 pounds.

I unloaded my 5946 - too damned heavy for a 9mm - but I did pick up a 5943.

Oscar 319
05-11-09, 22:48
"3rd Generation" Smith and Wesson auto's are fantastic pistols, but in my opinion, are obsolete.

I carried a 6906 on duty from 1996 to 2003 and a 4566 (that I foolishly sold) for a few years. For a 3 1/2" barrel, the 6906 was way more accurate than I was. The only malfuctions the gun had was from dirty reloads...otherwise it was flawless.

For a serious duty gun, there are way better options. Love them or hate 'em, Glock 9mm's can not be beat.

blackscot
05-13-09, 06:12
"3rd Generation" Smith and Wesson auto's are fantastic pistols, but in my opinion, are obsolete......

Basically ditto that -- I used to have a couple each of the stainless 5906 and alloy 5904.

For awhile during the 80's they set a standard among handguns, but a short lived one. A lot of advances were being made during that period, and names like Sig and Glock soon came to the forefront. And where they have since remained, with the Smiths now seeming heavy and clunky by comparison. Still really great shooters, but couldn't compete on other operational parameters (ergo's, carry, concealment, etc.).

I was just getting into handgunning as this all unfolded -- it was a great time and a fascinating process to observe.

Beat Trash
05-13-09, 15:11
Carried an issued 5946 for about 8-9 years as a duty pistol. Our department had about 1,200 of them in the filed.

My thoughts on the 5946/6946 are;

Reliable, until the extractors break.

Reliable until the side plate breaks.

Reliable until the notch where the guide rod fits into the bottom of the barrel wears (20-30K), then you have to replace the barrel and or the guide rod.

The last two years we fielded the 5946's the range officers would carry spare parts in the cargo pants pockets, to save down time during training.

Off duty, it's like carrying a brick.

We fielded about 1,200 of them. The last year we qualified, we averaged about 50-60 who failed to qualify the first day. (Dept sop - pull police powers until can qualify).

The first year we fielded the M&P's, Qualification failure rate went to zero...

I hate to sound negative after so many have posted positive results.

When we transitioned to the M&P's, we were offered the ability to purchase our issued 5946 for a rather low price. I declined...

mark1JT
05-14-09, 02:52
All feedback both positive and negative are welcome. Interesting to hear the breakage issues. The failure rate for qualification is not surprising especially if they were set up with the long and heavy trigger that mine has. The M&P is much better in this area, at least the one I shot before. I know it takes a lot more effort to get good hits with my 5946 than it does with my G17.

Carried an issued 5946 for about 8-9 years as a duty pistol. Our department had about 1,200 of them in the filed.

Reliable until the notch where the guide rod fits into the bottom of the barrel wears (20-30K), then you have to replace the barrel and or the guide rod.

The last two years we fielded the 5946's the range officers would carry spare parts in the cargo pants pockets, to save down time during training.

Off duty, it's like carrying a brick.

We fielded about 1,200 of them. The last year we qualified, we averaged about 50-60 who failed to qualify the first day. (Dept sop - pull police powers until can qualify).

The first year we fielded the M&P's, Qualification failure rate went to zero...

I hate to sound negative after so many have posted positive results.

When we transitioned to the M&P's, we were offered the ability to purchase our issued 5946 for a rather low price. I declined...

mark1JT
05-14-09, 02:54

mark1JT
05-14-09, 02:57
Don't you mean IF........ :mad:

I think you'll be happier with the 226R DAK(possibly the Navy version) when they finally get issued. ;)

Cypselus
05-14-09, 10:10

By the side plate, do you mean the metal piece that holds the hammer and sear pins against the left side of the frame? Do you know where it would break, and after approximately how many rounds?

Your story reminds me of stories of breaking M9s in the military. The barrel notch excepted (and maybe the plastic guide rod is the solution there), those sound like routine small parts breakages that you get in most or all platforms without a program of regular preventive maintenance, and without which your M&Ps will be going TU at qualifications after 8 years, too.

My thoughts:
Really heavy - of course, lots of people carry 1911s that weigh just as much
Feeds anything
Lots of small parts

old grunt
05-14-09, 14:21
That Smith was an NYPD duty weapon(along with Glock 19 and SIG 226 I think)..shot my buddy's..NICE pistol, just BIG. My job was a G19/G26(off-duty)job,but many guys on NYPD carried it and like it. Many,though carried something smaller(authorized 9mm or 38Spl revolver)OFF-DUTY. Hope this helped. GOOD LUCK!:D

wicked_police
05-14-09, 22:55
Don't you mean IF........ :mad:

No, they are coming. I was talking with the senior armorer on Sunday. The guns were supposed to be in the field by now, but with public works involved, it kind of messed everything up.

It's gonna take a little longer, but they will probably be in-hand before the end of the year.

blackscot
05-15-09, 07:28
......My thoughts:
.......Lots of small parts

That was another aspect I disliked about the 3G Smiths -- more things that I don't know what they do, and likely to break. Plenty of other pistols suffer the same affliction though.

I'm spoiled on the few-parts thing, which 1911's and Glocks rule at. I understand what every part does, and if anything does ever break, I can figure out why and what to do.

mark1JT
05-15-09, 10:14
As of about a month or two ago we were told in writing that it would be another 1.5 years....... I really hope not but.......

It should be interesting to see if they will allow it lighted for everyday use by non fulltime guys. I think this would be a smart move but.........

By the way I have saved your post for a little I told ya so... :D Hopefully I won't need it.

No, they are coming. I was talking with the senior armorer on Sunday. The guns were supposed to be in the field by now, but with public works involved, it kind of messed everything up.

It's gonna take a little longer, but they will probably be in-hand before the end of the year.

Beat Trash
05-19-09, 19:26
By the side plate, do you mean the metal piece that holds the hammer and sear pins against the left side of the frame? Do you know where it would break, and after approximately how many rounds?

Yes, don't have an average round count for this part, but the head armor who ordered parts stated he maintained a minimum of 100 on hand.

As to the "pocket full of parts" I am referring to barrels, guide rods, and the guide rod spring. Smaller parts, mainly extractors, couldn't be replaced on a firing line. The gun would be pulled off line and taken to the main facility to be worked on.

As for the M&P, we are around 3.5 years with them in the field. No issues so far...

wicked_police
05-20-09, 08:20
As of about a month or two ago we were told in writing that it would be another 1.5 years....... I really hope not but.......

It should be interesting to see if they will allow it lighted for everyday use by non fulltime guys. I think this would be a smart move but.........

By the way I have saved your post for a little I told ya so... :D Hopefully I won't need it.

Another year and a half? Well, I'm just going by what I was told by the senior armorer that is working on the procurement, and a week or so ago, he said should be six months. So maybe it's just a case of more current info....
Hopefully anyway!!!

I think use by non-full time might be a local decision, regardless of what the guys in Ottawa say.
Maybe more of a 'don't ask, don't tell'. ;)

Makes sense to me to always use it, especially if it's a more effective tool.

mark1JT
05-20-09, 21:31
Hopefully your info is on target, although the training rollout may be much longer, again hopefully not.

The don't ask don't tell is good unless they just up and issue me with a holster that does not accomodate the light. :(

Making sense may be the problem!!!!:D

Another year and a half? Well, I'm just going by what I was told by the senior armorer that is working on the procurement, and a week or so ago, he said should be six months. So maybe it's just a case of more current info....
Hopefully anyway!!!

I think use by non-full time might be a local decision, regardless of what the guys in Ottawa say.
Maybe more of a 'don't ask, don't tell'. ;)

Makes sense to me to always use it, especially if it's a more effective tool.