PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Carbine M4/AR-15 Course 6/14/2009 in Virginia

DCJS Instructor
05-10-09, 19:55
Folks this will be the seventh (7th) OPEN enrollment Carbine class in 2009 for PTTA & CCJA. We will be shooting on Steel and Paper from barricades and vehicles. We can shoot out to 500 yards on the Carbine range.

*NOTE* If you bring (2) paying students you can take the course for FREE!

Hope to see you on the range!

AR-15 / M4 TACTICAL CARBINE COURSE

June 14, 2009 starting @ 9:00am

Prerequisite: None

Class Size: 15 Students Max

Instructors: Tom Perroni & CCJA Staff Instructors

This course is designed to develop a solid foundation of shooting skills with the carbine. The student will exercise these skills in a variety of shooting situations. The student will quickly gain experience, confidence and increase their skill level with the carbine and using it in tactical situations.

The following topics will be discussed during the course:

• Safety
• Nomenclature
• Armorer Maintenance & Proper Lubrication
• Fundamentals of shooting: Stance, Sights, Grip, Trigger Control
• Malfunction Drills (Tap, Rack, Fight) Status Check
• Magazine Changes & Weapons Handling Skills
• Multiple shoots, Multiple targets, Shoot, Move Communicate
• Shooting on the move, Shooting reactive targets
• Shooting behind cover and from barricades
• Transition from Carbine to Handgun
• Breaking Contact & Peeling Left & Right (Bounding)

We will BZO @ 25 & 50 yards using iron sights and then co-witness
EOtechs or Aimpoints.

This one day course is very comprehensive and packs in a great deal of information. It is not a canned course, it is very dynamic and teaches real world skills from Instructors that operate or have operated in High Threat Environments. You will learn more in this one day course than you will from most 2/3 day courses.

CCJA & PTTA M4/ AR-15 Tactical Carbine Course
Gear Requirements:

Rifle / Carbine M4, AR-15, M16 AK, H&K, FN
Tactical Sling
(3/4) 30 Round Magazines
Magazine pouch
Handgun in Semi-auto
Strong side holster
3 Magazines
Magazine pouch
Handheld Light / pouch
Spare Batteries
Knee Pads
Water and Snacks
Wrap Around Eye Protection (clear)
Ear Protection (electronic muffs recommended)
Baseball style hat
Gloves
Weapons Lube & tools

Ammunition Requirements
Pistol 200 Rounds Pistol
Carbine 500 Rounds (.223,5.56,.308,7.62)
Extra Ammunition is recommended, the above numbers are minimums.

WE WILL BE SELLING AMMO FOR THIS COURSE CALL for PRICES!

Additional Gear for Tactics Courses
(for LEO’s & Pre Vetting WPPS, HTT, or HRE operators)
Body Armor with plates
Helmet if issued
Drop leg holster
Basic Medical Kit / Blow out Kit

Course Cost: $150.00

This Course Includes training each day and the CCJA Patrol Rifle AR-15 / M-4 Course Book. After successful completion of the course the student will receive a training completion certificate. Course starts @ 9:00am @ 1380 Central Park Blvd, suite 208 Fredericksburg, Va. 22401

For More Information or to sign up for the course contact Tom Perroni at:
www.ccjatraining.com
tomperroni@msn.com or (540) 322-3000 or (540) 846-7088

mgbrookman
05-11-09, 11:04
Hey Tom, I'll take one of those slots for your 14 June class. Had a good time on the 9 May class.

Thanks,
Mike

DCJS Instructor
05-20-09, 07:38
Mike,

Looking forward to training with you again,

Tom

CarlosDJackal
05-20-09, 13:44
Tom,

I'd like to sign up for your 1-day course on June 14th. I may be dragging along at least two other M4C members who had indicated that they would also like to sign up for this class.

I'd like to take advantage of that 2-for-free policy you have (I'll probably spread the savings to my buds).

Can you send me info on how we can sign up?

Thanks,
Carlos

glock_forty5
05-20-09, 19:27
I am going to have to sit this one out. I am hitting the Magpul Class that Tom is hosting this weekend and trying to get enough ammo up to hit Tom's 2 day course at the end of June.

Mike, I hope to take another class with you someday. I learned a few things just by watching you. Monkey see monkey works for me! You are a squared away shooter.

Have fun!

John

hal_5555
05-20-09, 20:15
i would def like to go. i will be changing my flight back from TDY to attend this. i will be bringing one buddy i hope. dont know if he will be able to change his TDY too.

looking forward to a closer class this time.

mgbrookman
05-30-09, 23:35
I am going to have to sit this one out. I am hitting the Magpul Class that Tom is hosting this weekend and trying to get enough ammo up to hit Tom's 2 day course at the end of June.

Mike, I hope to take another class with you someday. I learned a few things just by watching you. Monkey see monkey works for me! You are a squared away shooter.

Have fun!

John

Look forward to seeing you again John, enjoy the Magpul time.

Mike

n90guy
06-16-09, 08:22
Hey Tom,

Thanks for a great class!! I left with a lot to think about. It was well worth the price of admision.

ron556
06-16-09, 13:12
Thanks for a great course, Tom. My AAR is below; it is also posted on ARFCOM.

ron

CCJA One Day Tactical Carbine Course
Fredricksburg, VA

I recently attended Tom Perroni’s One-Day Tactical Carbine Course in Fredricksburg, VA. AAR/Impressions are as follows.

Initially, I did not know what to expect from a one-day course. It was labeled as a “basic” course and the price was very reasonable, so some of my shooting buddies and I decided to give it upon the recommendation of another friend who attended the previous course. Our group consisted of two noobs [never had any formal “fighting”courses or training], and four non-noobs [two former military gents, and two regular civvies, including myself; we have all had a decent amount of training from other reputable instructors… some more than others].

I am by no means an “expert” shooter; I have only really been seriously working up my carbine skills in the last 3-4 years, though I have been shooting for more than 15 years. The following is my experience as well as opinion, so please take it with a grain of salt. I am not a ninja, nor do I play one on TV. I have no military or police experience [I am the diametric opposite of HSLD…more like HDLS]; I am just a guy who enjoys learning and getting more competent with my weapon system.

:: Instructors
Tom Perroni was the lead instructor. His creds are on his website, so there is no need to list them here. IMO, Tom is a very professional, knowledgeable and seasoned. He had command of his material and he knew is business; he is also very well-versed in the aspect of law, which is always good.

Ed was the assisting instructor; he is a current PMC. He is also one very switched on individual: extremely professional, and extremely knowledgeable as well. I spent quite some time on his relay, so I was very impressed with his abilities as an instructor. He was very insightful and helpful.

I will say that both instructors were outstanding teachers. Patient and professional almost to a fault, they kept the class in line and had a very good mix of humor, encouragement and discipline on the line. As the class progressed and folks got more comfortable with the drills, the pace would ratchet up. One thing that I must say about Tom and Ed is that I felt every student got immediate feedback during the “conga line” drill [very similar to a walk back drill]: what you did wrong, what you did correctly, what you need to do to fix something that went wrong, etc. More importantly, they were able to vet out who knew why they missed vs. who needed to be told why they missed. That was an excellent method and it worked well for me.

:: Classroom/Lecture
While I fully expected to be a little bored by this section, I actually enjoyed a good part of the lecture. While a good bit of info is nothing new to seasoned shooters [field stripping, maintenance, nomenclature, etc.], this class is intended as a basic class… even though I was very familiar with much of the material, it always helps to have a refresher every now and again. It was also an opportunity to make sure the weapon was sorted before the shooting started, as it were. Covering things like the OODA loop, the startle response and how it relates to fighting with a firearm, getting off the “X,” when engaging a threat with a firearm why one must always M.O.V.E [Motionless Operators Ventilate Easily], etc. These are concepts that are not necessarily new [and Tom does not take credit a portion of it]. These are well-known fundamentals and he reiterates them as they apply to fighting with a rifle.

:: Range Drills [to the best of my memory, so the order may be out of whack]
The range was run hot, 360 degrees. IMO, this is the only way to run a fighting rifle course. If you are carrying a rifle in the open, then you are expecting trouble. Don’t confront trouble with a very expensive club.

Zero Check w/ Shoot-N-C targets. That got everyone pretty much sorted out with their POA/POI. Ed + Tom evaluated everyone and pretty much got everyone on the same page so drills could be performed effectively and accurately.

Conga Line/Walk Back: starting @ 25 m, [at the range command], each student engaged a steel plate with two rounds, then performeda fundamental follow through, scan and assess. We worked our way back to the 100 yd. marker, two relays running concurrently.

Transitions: at 20-25 m, fire two shots, transition to secondary weapon system. My transition-fu was really in the shitter. No excuses, but getting to know an unfamiliar holster was poor judgement on my part.

Emergency reload: at 25 M+, with a partially loaded magazine, run weapon until empty, then go to immediate action reload and get back into the fight.

Tactical reload: engage threat; at a “lull” in the action, expel the partially fired mag and top off with a fresh mag [from behind cover].

Serpentine drill: using four 50-gal. drums as obstacles, weave in and out while engaging targets on the move. Work forward, then execute backwards, using the “Groucho” walk to move forward and the “Zombie” shuffle [coined by Ed] to move backwards. If the primary weapon ran dry during the drill, transition to pistol. Instructor would provide covering fire while the student made his way back to cover, excecuted an immediate action reload, then got back into the fight and re-engaged and completed the drill.

Stressfire drill: very similar to the Magpul Stressfire drill [Vol. 1]. At command, run 15 yards forward to cover, engage target #1 from left side of barrier, then transition to right side and engage same target [one shot] before moving from cover. Move across gap to parked Suburban while engaging target #2. From the cover of the vehicle, continue to engage target #2, using the engine/front axle as cover; move to driver’s side window and engage target #3, move to passenger window + engage target #4, move to rear of vehicle and engage target #5.

Prone shooting: from cover, engage target standing [x2].; move to kneeling position, engage target again [x2].; go prone, and engage target [x2].

Low light drill: at command, identify target, engage [x2], then lights out and move to the right. Use the light as judiciously as possible to ID the target, engage, then get off the X as quickly as possible.

:: Positive Marks
This was an excellent class that exceeded my expectations. I actually found the classroom portion very informative. Most of the material was very familiar, but there were a few tangents that made for an interesting and practical lecture. I must also restate that Tom and Ed are excellent instructors that blend their experience and competency with excellent [teaching] technique to facilitate a pleasant learning experience for most all students. While it was obvious they were squared away shooters, what really shined was their instruction. I stress that their individual attention to each student’s needs was outstanding. While it may have proved to make some evolutions move slower, it was most beneficial to each individual and I think most all those who attended would agree. They were also very attentive to each individual, keeping the safety factor high, particularly when muzzles began to swing.

The drills themselves were excellent [more than a couple were new to me] that challenged each student to go through the technique demonstrated and [more importantly] execute. I know I was brought out of my comfort zone more than once, but I never felt out of control. Again, Tom + Ed provided the right blend of encouragement, stress and, ahem, “dynamic” instruction [when called for] to keep each student focused and executing properly and safely. Some of the techniques taught were new to me, but very adaptable in different situations. The amount of moving + shooting was excellent; though still in a square range environment, I know a lot of folks don’t have the benefit of being able to practice shooting on the move. Every movement drill is a valuable tool to put in the tool box [see M.O.V.E. above].

On the range, things were clearly explained and Tom and Ed had no problems addressing any questions brought up at any time. The also had no problem stopping live fire to address issues right then and there. They were extremely approachable and helped each student individually if they needed it. One thing that I always listen for with instructors is when they iterate that, “This is A way, not THE way.” That is a good measure of what kind of instructor you are getting, and Tom [and Ed] was definitely one of the good guys.

:: Criticisms
No class experience is perfect, and Tom was extremely open to suggestions and improvements, which is greatly appreciated. He was actively asking students what they liked and more importantly, what they disliked. I wanted to take a day or so to think about what I would do to improve the experience, but this should all be taken with a grain of salt, as I am not a high-speed ninja operator.

This class was labeled as a basic carbine class. Though I concur with that nomenclature, it is NOT and introductory class. IMO, I assumed that one should be familiar with the weapon system as well as well-versed in basic gun safety at the minimum. With one notable exception, most folks were fairly switched on. But there were muzzle checks going on during the day, which were pretty much eliminated by the end of the class. In the beginning, some people were a little casual about their muzzle discipline; that pissed me off, particularly when you called someone on a muzzle check and they gave you some cheeky attitude about it. Some of it was no surprise given the level of experience among the class, but it was of great concern to me. Tom and Ed were quick to correct problems, but they can’t keep eyes on 13 muzzles [in two different relays] all at once. Some of the more experienced classmates were able to keep eyes on some of the noobs in order to keep the class well-policed and safe.

That being said, I would have to say that there was probably one person that should not have been there. Though he was doing the right thing by seeking training [and this was labeled as a basic class], there was a laundry list of problems he brought with him, from lack of basic safety and situational awareness to not following the gear requirements. I had major reservations with him on the line, as did most of the students. He should have been removed from the class; he got worse before he got better. I will credit Tom with doing his best to give the guy a fair shake, but he was a walking CF and should not have been there. This gentleman needed to go to a First Steps class and not a basic carbine class. Perhaps a checklist should be sent out to every enrollee to make sure they meet a minimum training standard so that everyone is on the same page. When you don’t know what ammunition goes in your ****ing gun, you have some serious training barriers going on and you need fixing.

I was not really keen on the way we ran the transition drill with a full mag. I would have rather ran it as a true transition drill [i.e., load 1-3 rounds in a mag, shoot until dry, then transition to the sidearm]. IMHO, I will never transition to my secondary weapon system unless there is a damn good reason to [i.e., damage to the primary weapon, malfunction, misfeed, empty, etc.]. If any of those things happen, engaging the safety is a moot point + takes valuable time [esp. in CQB environments]. Again, this is merely my opinion and a matter of training philosphy… I had no problem running the drill as it was demonstrated [aside from my ham-fisted pistol shooting].

Though the range facility is good, some improvements could be made. Understandably, this is a new deal, so I know it is still in development. But some overhead cover would be a nice touch, as well as the ability to drive to the staging area, drop off kit and then drive back up the hill… a gravel road, perhaps? I know I am fat, slow and lazy, but humping all that shit up the hill after an exhausting day of shooting is a real bummer. Not really a crit of the class/teaching, just a niggle re: logistics.

:: Overall Impressions
I will also have to give a shout out to the MD Shooter’s Group… I didn’t even know you guys were actually allowed to shoot guns up there. ☺ A good bunch of sorted-out individuals. It was a pleasure training with them. Plus, it’s always good to shoot with the locals, too… you know who you are.

This was a great class. It not only reinforced some good past training, I learned a few new nuggets of info to tuck into the tool box for the future. Tom runs a great class with excellent instruction; I would sign up for his advanced two-day class in a heartbeat. He and Ed are obviously accomplished instructors and the things I learned in one day are well worth the asking price. There are no secrets, but they are totally switched on; this class reinforces good, sound philosophy and technique for deploying a carbine.

If you are looking for group shooting or hyper-accurate slow fire rifle for record, this ain’t it. But if you want to learn to deploy your rifle, you need to check these guys out. It is a dynamic class that focuses on fighting with the rifle with combat accuracy. It also assumes that you have some experience operating a carbine on a hot range, so your attitude should follow accordingly. It also was a more tactic-oriented class that required the student to be able to perform dynamic movement with a loaded weapon.

A big thanks goes out to CCJA + Tom Perroni and Ed for putting on a great class with outstanding instruction. If you think you know how to fight with your rifle, I would highly recommend this class to you. If you are unsure about your abilities, speak to Tom and BE HONEST about what your experience. He is extremely approachable and since he is a great instructor, he will lead you in the right direction.

And I can’t forget to at least partially apologize for being in the group that had two guys add new A/C units to your Suburban. Though I am glad it was not me, they’ll be getting shit for that for quite some time. But I know they appreciated your candor + laid back demeanor to it all. Air Force Ninja will be chewing on that shit sandwich for YEARS [or at least until he graduates].

mgbrookman
06-16-09, 21:29
Great AAR, Tom has a first class operation. His classroom is well organized and very comfortable. I do also like the fact of him allowing the class while in the classroom, time to break down their carbines. A great last chance for a once over and time to make sure the gun is wet.
Tom runs a very fluid operation. He allows the group to give input on what type of drills to run. He does reserve the right to not run certain drills, all depending on the class skill level. Just getting to shoot on steel all day is something you can't do at a lot of classes. Tom and AI was great to work with. These guys have a lot of experience, a lot of very, very recent experience. Updated tactics, and how they deploy them in the real world is priceless.
If you live any where near the DC and No. VA area I would suggest checking these guys out. You will not be disappointed.

HiggsBoson
06-16-09, 21:53
I've asked this before and not gotten a response, but since ron556's AAR brought it up, I'll ask again:

What is an appropriate level of prerequisite knowledge, considering that this is a "Basic" Tactical Carbine course?

mgbrookman
06-16-09, 22:46
Basic range safety, muzzle control, knowing what type of ammo your gun shoots helps a lot to. We had an issue with this, that's why I brought it up. I think a grasp of the basic handling of a carbine helps, like some of the basic malfunction remedy's.

HiggsBoson
06-17-09, 09:25
Thanks for the response. I don't want to be "That Guy" at the carbine class. ;)

Basic range safety, muzzle control, knowing what type of ammo your gun shoots helps a lot to. We had an issue with this, that's why I brought it up. I think a grasp of the basic handling of a carbine helps, like some of the basic malfunction remedy's.

ron556
06-17-09, 09:36
I've asked this before and not gotten a response, but since ron556's AAR brought it up, I'll ask again:

What is an appropriate level of prerequisite knowledge, considering that this is a "Basic" Tactical Carbine course?

+1 on what mgbrookman said. i will also address this. this is my own personal philosophy, so please take it with the requisite amount of salt. i just try to follow it so at the very least, i am not "that guy.":D

:: the four rules of gun safety. you MUST know these and adhere to them at all times. and i don't mean know them "in theory," or when you "feel like it," or just "on paper," but ALL THE DAMN TIME. it should be switched on and never turned off. if you cannot practice these, you do not belong in any basic class or on any gun range, period.

:: basic knowledge of your weapon system and how to operate it safely [see above]. loading, unloading, basic malfunction clearance, maintenance + lubrication. no need to be an armorer, but at least have a general idea how the damn thing works. you can learn these things in a class, but do not be a total noob to your weapon system.

:: a properly functioning weapon. does it work? has it been function-checked, fired and/or properly zeroed? if you show up to a course and one or more of these have not been done, you are wasting time and money at a "fighting" rifle class, basic or ninja-level. more importantly, you are wasting other peoples' time + money.

:: muzzle discipline [see #1 above]. at the very least, when someone says, "watch your muzzle!" to you, you know what the f**k they mean.

:: proper equipment [as listed by the instructor]. understandably, not everyone can afford to run out and purchase all the latest ninja commando gear for one class and you shouldn't have to. but if the equipment list calls for a tactical sling, bring a tactical sling. if it says you need a way to carry extra mags on your person, find something [purposely designed] to do so and bring it. gear lists are not there to make you drive your credit card bill up and dress like a ninja, they are there to facilitate a more pleasant and safe learning experience. looking like a special forces ninja is simply an added benefit. ;)

:: know your limitations. if you are struggling with a drill so terribly that you are consistently violating any part of #1 above, you need to step off the line and either fix yourself or go home. do not be afraid or too arrogant to tell an instructor that you are not feeling comfortable with the drill. ask questions BEFORE you take action. everyone is there to learn and no one is there to earn an extra hole in their body.

:: most importantly: an open mind and a good attitude. the square-range commando ego needs to be left at home. if you can't do that, do not attend. you are paying good money and traveling all this way to LEARN. make the most of it, listen to the instructors and take what you can from any course. some of it may get past you and you may not agree with other parts, but every class can be a positive learning experience if you are receptive to what is being taught. save your blowhard arguments for the anonymous internet. go to the class, STFU, listen and try it. good students listen to their instructors AND vice versa. learning is not just one-sided; just keep that in mind.

as i said, this is mostly my own opinion and guide; it is by no means comprehensive. there are many more experienced individuals on this forum that can certainly add their $0.02 to this list. much of it is common sense and good judgment. opening a dialogue with more experienced shooters is always a benefit [like on this board]. hth, ymmv.

CarlosDJackal
06-17-09, 14:14
Excellent AAR!! I signed up for this class expecting it to be more of practice than anything else. I was very pleasantly surprised at the amount of information that I either did not know or have forgotten.

Some of the techniques that Tom preferred were ones I had tried before and since discarded. While there isn't any one I can think of that I felt were counter-productive or of a concern in terms of safety; it was good to revisit some of them. This allowed me to revisit why I stopped or never used them, as well as realize ones I should reconsider using again.

Even if you have attended courses that are "Advanced" and have years of experience shooting a Carbine; I very much recommend this course as a way to obtain feedback from two very observant instructors. IMHO, this makes all the difference in the world!!

You can attend a class that is being taught by the world's best shooter/operator/ninja/what-have-you. But if they cannot provide you with the relevant feedback to correct your bad habits, then you are just wasting your time and money.

Tom and Ed really excelled in this area and should be commended for their ability to focus on the individual and make corrections that are appropriate to their particular experience, performance and shooting style. I must also give them kudos for their patience towards the "problem children" of the class (you know who you are).

I am already planning on retaking this class sometime in the future just to keep myself "honest". IMHO, it is well worth the price of admission.

ON A SIDE NOTE:

As far as the safety issues, everyone who signs up for a shooting class starts out as a candidate to be "That Guy". What separates those who earn that title and the rest of the class is their attitude and preparation. Students who bring untested equipment and brand new, unfired guns to a shooting class is starting out way behind the power curve.

Individuals who have a mental block when it comes to safety will never learn the important lessons. In the (commercial) shooting courses I have been to, I have never heard an instructor berate a student for not being the best, fastest, or the most accurate shooter. All an Instructor ever asks for is that each student give their best and hopefully show some improvement between the first shot to the last.

Individuals who never get the importance of following the rules of Gun Safety or is unable to apply are guaranteed to earn that title. When a student is corrected by someone for placing their hand on the trigger when not appropriate and that person responds that the gun was unloaded or the safety was on - you have an attitude problem.